No customization options are available.

LED Fog Lights

Discussion in 'Parts & Accessories' started by Giacomo, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Giacomo

Giacomo New Member

Hi there, I've just bought a paid of used LED Fog Lights on Ebay.
    Seller only had the 2 lights with no connecting cables nor accessories (i.e. mounting bars)
    All I have so far are a pair of this:
    https://www.bmw-motorrad-bohling.co...bio-per-fari-addizionali-led-k25-k50-k53.html

Do you know what else shall I buy to mount these on the RS?
    Any link to nice bars / cheaper than original parts?

So far I've found these mounting bars from machine arts
    http://www.nippynormans.com/mudsling-xheads/machineart-mark-2-light-bars-r1200r-lcrs-lc

And this cheap kit of cables from Hong Kong which I'm not sure will fit the purpose
    http://www.ebay.it/itm/For-BMW-R120...%3Ac5da97ae1600a884596849a5ffefab5d%7Ciid%3A1

ray2 likes this.
  2. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

3. Giacomo

Giacomo New Member

Thanks, I'll read through those posts!

4. ray2

Was thinking. They might - but here is a link to the "microfiche" for the OEM BMW parts for your lights. http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=57054&rnd=07242017

I see the OEM harness runs $123..., but the trick is, one knows that it will plug directly into the controller, whereas I can't tell what your aftermarket harness does.... You might be OK with what you have. According to some of the notes I've read, you can alway bypass the controller and install a separate switch. When in doubt, old guys like me just run a fused connection directly to the battery. (Well, actually, old guys just like me now have the shop guys do the installation in a fraction of the time, so we get more time on the road - wrench less/ride more.)

In the end, remember to have fun.

I assume the shops have the installation PDF similar to this one for the GS on their computers. You might be able to ask them for a copy - unless someone on the forum has one or you can find a link/video online. (No, @Grumpy Goat didn't do an installation video for the OEM lights. He installed the Denalis.)
    http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/NotesParts/63177721320_1.pdf

63 17 8 532 147 LED DRIVING LIGHT (This is the one listed for the R1200RS)
    Powerful LED auxiliary headlight in die-cast aluminum housing. Safer on the road Modern LED technology: LEDs are long-lasting as to be virtually wear-free, so operation is fault-free and maintenance-free as well. White LEDs emit light of a color very close to that of daylight for differentiated illumination of the road ahead. Diameter approx. 3 in, length approx. 4.3 in. Installation and enabling only by authorized BMW Motorrad dealer.
    [​IMG]
    upload_2018-1-7_9-50-21.png

5. Giacomo

Giacomo New Member

I'll check both solutions, Hex ezcan mentioned in other posts while not the cheapest solution looks interesting as I can then program it to sync with turning lights, use it to power my phone etc.

I'm still not sure which cable shall I then use to connect the LED lights to the Hex EZcan, I'll write them an email to get some clarifications!

6. Giacomo

Giacomo New Member

BTW I've contacted ezCAN customer service and they wrote me OEM BMW LED Aux Lights don't work with ezCAN as they use LINbus connection

ray2 likes this.
  7. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Good to know. Sounds like the best option if going with a bus controller is to stick with the whole system, i.e. same brand for the lights and controller. For instance, with my Denali setup, even though the CANSmart Controller is made by HEX Electronics the wires in the harness and plugs are different.

8. Giacomo

Giacomo New Member

Well, he also mentioned ezCAN works with 2 wire system, I have to check OEM AUX Lights schematic to see if it can be adapted anyhow!

ray2 likes this.
  9. ray2

Huh. I guess so - as they run through the headlight controller and are listed as "auxiliary head lights." I can't believe the EZ CAN folks don't have a protocol to make it work for you. If that's the case, hooking though the controller (see link to GS installation above) might be easiest, and I'll bet the GS
    The instructions I've read state one can bypass the controller as a 2-wire connection to the battery (in the end, the easiest hook-up). I think you'll find references in the forum to folks who did this.
    If that's the case, one should be able to link in through the CAN Bus. I have some Darlas (Clearwater) that I run through the Clearwater CANopener to the CAN Bus, which allows all sorts of power modes and links to horns and brights that are not available with a simple hook-up. All depends on how much you enjoy the milking the technology. And to reiterate - have fun.

This is from the Haynes manual and is for the GS.... I didn't take a look to see it would be helpful; I posted it because I like the colors. Can't find one for the RS.... upload_2018-1-8_10-13-43.png

Attached Files:

10. Giacomo

Giacomo New Member

Well I believe you are right, Led at the end are still simple lights don't see why they shouldn't work with 2 wires
    I'll try again to investigate with ezCAN!

11. ray2

Have to say - if you want to save money, and don't plan on other after-market electronics like horns and tail lights, you might look to see if your aftermarket wiring harness looks anything like the harness (9) in the above diagram fro the RS auxiliary lights. If so, I'd ask a BMW dealership if they can share a PDF copy of the installation instructions specific to the RS, that no one on the forum seems to have. The forum has been surprisingly quiet on this one.....

12. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Here is a new video from Twisted Throttle on the differences between the Hex ezCAN and the Denali CANSmart controllers.

13. Giacomo

Giacomo New Member

Thanks!

BTW I've been also discussing with the guy who sold me the OEM Aux Lights.. and he told me one of his friend is using OEM lights with ezCAN on a BMW 2016 GS... so somehow it is possible

14. Dadda

Dadda New Member

definitely use an EZcan, it really is the only way to do it properly. I bought some BMW imitation lights off eBay, an EZcan from a USA dealer (as they're not available in Europe yet), and the Machine Art bars from Nippy Normans. I then bought an extra brake light to mount under my top-box because I could plug that into the EZcan as well. Bloody simple to install - most difficult thing is taking off the BMW body panels to run the cables (so many damn screws!)
    There is really no other option in my view. Check out the EZcan website and look at their installation and setup videos. This will show you the extra safety and flexibility you get. Much better than a simple on/off switch on the bars.

ray2 likes this.
  15. mrj

mrj Member

I'm considering doing that as well but was hesitating because of the unavailability of pieces in Fr.
    Where did you get the EZcan from? Any issue with fixing the bars and lights together and on the bike (specific screws... cable length...)?

16. Dadda

Dadda New Member

I don't have a record of the BMW shop in the USA I bought it from. I did just go to the EZcan website and checked out their list of distributors in the USA, as they offered the best price. For example, it was way more expensive from a Canadian shop. I did get dinged for customs duty from France Post - you may get dinged as well, but at least you will get it (additional $31 euros for that!). You will need to make your own cables from the EZcan under the seat to the lights - just go to an Auto dealer and get some 5 amp wire. Need about 5 metres in total to cater for positive and negative. EzCan provide the conectors, you just need to supply the wire. I didn't have any tubing to put the wire in so I simply wrapped the length in electrical tape. No big deal as it can't be seen anyways. You'll need a bolt to attach the lights to the Machine Art bars, 6mm I think. Wait until you get the parts and then fit a bolt (unless you got it with the lights). Other than that, it's damn easy. And an excellent result.

mrj likes this.