No customization options are available.

Lean angle concern

Discussion in 'BMW R1200RS Forum Announcements' started by Wiggitamoo, Oct 29, 2017.

?

Are you worried your cylinder will make contact during a turn?

1. Yes, I'm very concerned about them getting in the way.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Kinda, in the back of my mind.

8 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. No, I'm sure they will not contact.

36 vote(s)
    81.8%
  1. Wiggitamoo

Wiggitamoo New Member

I doubt this is a problem, because I don't see any specific posts on this topic, but I can't help but wonder how far the bike can lean before the cylinder heads will scrape on the ground.

I'm in the market to buy the 2018 RS and my test drive concretized that I love this bike and engine, but I did have a concern for how far the cylinder heads were from the ground when I was making some sharp turns with the bike.

I think they were probably further away from contact than I felt, but I would love to see photos of how far the bike leans before contact is made. After searching online I came up with nothing.

I'm aware of the cylinder head covers (which I'm going to purchase) or protective bars, but I would also love to hear from anyone that did make contact.

2. KeithH

KeithH New Member

Having just done California Superbike School I can confirm that when you are scraping the pegs there is still plenty of cylinder head clearance, so not an issue.

3. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

Are you ROSSI in disguise :rolleyes:

mousejockey40 and Leon.P. like this.
  4. PaulB_UK

PaulB_UK Member

You can get the pegs down, if you try.
    If the cylinder heads are down, then the bike is sliding sideways down the road, probably without you on it :)

Cheers
    Paul B.

Igster09, GrahamleM, fischetg and 8 others like this.
  5. Leon.P.

Leon.P. Well-Known Member

Some of these bikes are used in races and survive so I can't see any issues on the road.:)

6. saizou

saizou Member

I scrapped my center stand before the pegs. The cylinder heads will not be a problem.

Leon.P. likes this.
  7. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm Well-Known Member

BMW-R1200-RS-0005.jpg BMW-R1200-RS-0006.jpg
    If you can get it over like this guy, you should probably be sponsored.

Worry less, ride more.

8. Wiggitamoo

Wiggitamoo New Member

Sweet, I thought it was a non issue but thanks for putting that concern to bed. I’ll enjoy the twisties the way they were meant to be ridden.

PaulB_UK and Andy Griffiths like this.
  9. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Good. Just get the bike and enjoy it. There are no posts on this topic because it does not happen.

As MrVVrroomm said, worry less and ride more. Welcome to the forum and RS ownership. You will find there are many more characteristics to this bike than meets the eye after a short test ride.

mousejockey40, darrell and MrVvrroomm like this.
  10. boxter

boxter Active Member

There is a video on YouTube with a guy doing a test ride on an RS, as he's doing the corners he mentions a grating noise, its just the food pegs grounding he says, so no worries.

I will see if I can find it and post the link

Ged

11. Scott

Scott Active Member

Interesting that the centre stand has been removed..........

12. Nomad5326

Nomad5326 Member Contributor

I always wondered what my under carriage looked like! Good to know!

13. terry847

terry847 Active Member

Bruce, is that a picture of you? Oh, I forgot you got the slower gray one. Never mind! :D:D:D JK, I know you can ride fast, maybe not that fast, but fast.

Igster09 likes this.
  14. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm Well-Known Member

Keep it up! We'll see you in Arkansas...

Olgry1 and Grumpy Goat like this.
  15. terry847

terry847 Active Member

Right on bro! Make sure Dawn comes, then I'll have someone I can keep up with, maybe! :)

Olgry1 and Grumpy Goat like this.
  16. Boxerboy55

Boxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Peg studs first. So they were removed.
    Haven’t touched centre stand.
    As above - crash bars or cylinder heads on the road probably means you’re down.

I’m never gonna be anywhere near the stunt rider above, especially on the public highway and always have lots of daylight between my bars and the tarmac.
    D7D13EC0-3F59-456F-B4E2-91D7265F90A9.jpeg

Bill the Cat and Leon.P. like this.
  17. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

Because I have ads, and I still get those which picture women and seek to entice me with their charms, the question "Bruce, is that a picture of you?" was right under "Russian Beauties on Line" with a picture of a very nice (and for a change, elegantly clothed) brunette. So Bruce..., is it really Bruce??

GrahamleM likes this.
  18. Scorch

Scorch Well-Known Member

The only time I was slightly concerned about my cylinder heads was when tackling some adverse camber hairpins in the Pyrenees earlier this year. Friends following me mentioned that they were getting pretty bloomin' close to the road, but I never had an incident. I didn't even get my pegs scraping, despite getting right over to the edges of my tyres.

19. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

Here's some personal evidence that the pegs touch down first.

Seeing a photo from the other angle (which I now of course can't find) the engine cases still had a long way to go.

20. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

I replaced my pegs with those from the K1300S (pictures here - http://r1200rsforums.com/threads/rearsets.527/page-3#post-41179)

With feelers removed, I've still accidentally scraped pegs a few times, and I have accidentally scraped the center stand twice on the right - though I consider dragging anything on the ground to represent some mistake on my part.

(As I've posted elsewhere, the answer is almost always more gas. Maximum lean angle is only available on the gas. It's more fun, safer, and doesn't abuse the bike.)

B4Bertie managed to scrape up his cylinder heads at the track. I've played with this a little, and it's not clear how that would happen unless there is some mid-turn de-celeration. Here's his post on a related thread. http://r1200rsforums.com/threads/lean-angle-and-center-stand.346/page-4#post-44966

For some reason, I can't get to his original posts. Note - there might be problem with the gray bike. I'm re-posting a picture.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Olgry1, GrahamleM, SauRoN and 2 others like this.