No customization options are available.

Latest Tires

Discussion in 'R1200RS Tyres/Tires' started by Ron Miller, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Ron Miller

Ron Miller Member

I am on my 3rd set of Metzler Roadtec 01's. I am going through a set of tires (Front and Back) at 6000 miles on back (front by then has the dreaded feathering of edges). Motorrad Mag tire test of 5/26/17 rates the Continental RoadAttack 3 as #1. Dunlop now offers (as optional) Sportmax Q3 and Q3+ for our bikes. Anyone out there with miles on the Continental's or new Dunlop Q3 or Q3+ tires? I like the Metzler Roatec 01's but would consider another tire to lessen the front tire feathering and noise.

2. Hugh

Hugh Member

Ron, I have done around 1500 miles on the Contis and think they are brilliant. Quick in the corners and ecellent grip. I have seriously leaned the bike over and have had absolute confidence in the tyres. I think they will suit someone who prefers a 'sporty' style of riding, but can't comment on their longevity yet. Will put on another 1500 miles in a few weeks time so will report back then.

3. Rory O'Connor

Rory O'Connor New Member

I've just put a set of Dunlop Road smart 3's on to replace Metzler Z8's. The Dunlop's feel a lot harder, the ride is harsher. I am interested to hear if the Roadtec 01's are as comfortable as the Z8.

4. Daboo

Daboo Active Member

I've had both the Metzeler Roadtec 01 and Dunlop Roadsmart III tires. I like both a lot. My Metzeler tires wore out at 6000 miles also. As much as I liked them, that's unacceptable for a tire that promises to last longer than a PR4. It didn't even last as long as the Metzeler Z8s.

I'll stick with the Dunlop Roadsmart III tires at my next tire change.

Chris

Grumpy Goat and Rory O'Connor like this.
  5. Ron Miller

Ron Miller Member

S
    So far here is my take! The Metz Roadtec 01 (which I have been running) is the most popular tire to date (just check all the posts on "Best Sport Touring Tires posts"). I like the feel of the 01's but am looking for better mileage and less fluff and noise of front tire. Using the Motorrad Mag tire test of 5/26/17 listing the Continental RoadAttack 3 as No. 1 and the report by Hugh, Aug 23, 2017 (above) I am going to spring for a set of the Contine's and later if I see any road reports on the Dunlop SportMax Q3+ that show this higher performance (carbon fibre sidewall technology) offers decent mileage and performance then I will try a set after the Contine's. My fall back is going to be the Metz Roadtec 01. I'll be back in a few months with report on the Contine's (I will be down for about 3mo. with back surgerey).
    Ron Miller

6. Roadnwater

Roadnwater Active Member

The Conti website lists the GT (stiffer)version of Roadattack 3 as fitment for the RS.. Is that what you guys are using?

7. Hugh

Hugh Member

Nope, I think I have the regular ones and haven't experienced any problems.

8. boxter

boxter Active Member

I have just taken off a set of half worn Z8's, they were terrible, new set of PR4's, back to good handling again and no unexpected side slipping in wet and dry.

Ged

9. Roadnwater

Roadnwater Active Member

I ordered a GT version yesterday and will give feedback once I get it installed. Note that I had to go to the heavy versions of the Angel and M01 for the fronts to try to mitigate rapid wear. It helped somewhat but still not good. The RS3's that I have on now were also heavy versions, as that is all that is imported to the USA and I assume what Dunlop specified for the RS.

10. Leon.P.

Leon.P. Well-Known Member

I have a Metzler 01 on the rear and there is no complaints.I have just fitted a standard 01 on the front. The whining noise is like driving a 4x4 SUV. I have only done about 10 kilometres and I'm sure this will be the last one on the front. I tossed up between the Z8 and the 01. Should have gone with the Z8. Next time.:(

11. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

My new front Dunlop made a noise initially.
    After a few days it had gone away or I am used to it. Or...
    I keep my music up loud enough to mask it.

12. Keith R

Keith R Member

I have the OEM Z8s which after 5k miles are following lines and also starting to slip in the wet. Currently waiting until Jan so I can get the new Michelin Road 5. My tyre dealer tells me they will hopefully have them by the middle of Jan.

13. oscarguitar

oscarguitar Well-Known Member

I’m waiting for the RP5 as well. 6500 on my RP4s and they are all over the place, tramlining, and not as nearly as confidence inspiring as they used to be. These are my 5th set, and I haven’t noticed this drop off in performance before. I was going to try to conti or Dunlop, but with the RP5 coming out, I think I’ll wait.