No customization options are available.

Keyless fob battery

Discussion in 'Servicing & Maintenance' started by runnerhiker, Oct 8, 2017.

1. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

I must say one of the side effect advantages of keyless ignition is that you can't accidentally leave the bike one as it shuts off by itself when you walk away.

2. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

The bike should keep running.
    You only need the key to start it, not to keep it running.

Jim Evans, ray2 and Grumpy Goat like this.
  3. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

That's how mine works. :)

Jim Evans likes this.
  4. Stick Rockwell

Stick Rockwell Member

I was instructed that the spare (valet) key was used for starting the bike if you were without the fob. Just hover it over where ever the ECM is located (at the seat splits on the RS) and follow the normal starting process.

5. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

Huh. You've tried this? According to the manual, you should only have 1.5 minutes of electrical power - unless the manual (v.i.) is referring to state of ignition on/engine off. (I'll give this a try next time I start it up.)
    "If the radio-operated key remains out of range the ignition is switched off after about 1.5 minutes to protect the battery."

6. GaryS

GaryS Member

I do that all the dang time on my triumph now! I used to fear forgetting the BMW key and was sooo hesitant to embrace the keyless ignition. Whodathought the problem would be having to remember not to leave keys in the ignition on every other bike. I even walked out of my car with the engine on the other day and my wife giving me one of the WTF looks.

7. boxter

boxter Active Member

If the engine is not running the ignition turns off after a amount of time, mine has done that

If the engine is running it will stay like that until it is turned off as mentioned, that's the WTF moment.

I did not try moving the key away while the engine was running GG , just with only the ignition on so that's why mine is different :( Doh.

Ged

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    ray2 likes this.
  8. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

Not sure why I would ever question something noted by these two.... Opinion from one is certain. Same comment from both - an absolute truth.

Jim Evans, runnerhiker and Lee like this.
  9. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

No I don't mean running.

I mean if you left it "on" (with the lights on) as one sometimes would and then get to a dead bike in the morning.

It's impossible with the keyless system for sure. Don't know if the normal key bike has a "timeout" but the GS800 I had as a courtesy certainly didn't...

Lee likes this.
  10. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Ahhh ... thanks for clarifying that. Ignition on / engine not running. Didn't know it had a timeout feature. Great! :)

11. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

Yeah you don't notice it's there until you come home at just the wrong time of day where it's not obvious the lights are still on.