No customization options are available.

key or Keyless?

Discussion in 'General R1200RS Discussions' started by RNINETRAT, Dec 12, 2017.

?

Key or keyless?

1. Key

32.4%
  2. Keyless

67.6%
  1. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Thanks Mike. I just bought 2 units; good to have especially for the side pocket key, since it seems I tend to forget to zipper up that pocket. The inner pocket where the fob lives is not an issue.

2. Spratz

Spratz Member

I can't remember from Eureka Springs, but I'm guessing you must not have the factory side-cases. The physical key of the key-fob is the only thing besides the emergency key that will unlock the side-cases, which I always keep locked. This means that for me the key-fob is one of the most-used keys, so keeping it separately stored away doesn't buy me anything.
    I guess I could get a copy of that physical key made somewhere, then maybe I could just keep the fob zipped up in a pocket. I hadn't thought of that. I'll look into it.

3. darrell

darrell Well-Known Member Contributor

Go to your BMW dealer or call them and have them order you 2 keys for your GPS, seat and panniers and you can put the expensive transponder key away.

Keys (2) without transponder, part # 51257688674 - $34.97

4. Spratz

Spratz Member

Thanks for the info Darrell. I will do that. It never occurred to me that BMW might have the key without the transponder. I guess I figured that if they existed, BMW would supply one or two with the bike. It is annoying that they don't.

Grumpy Goat and runnerhiker like this.
  5. Grumpy Goat

Actually I do. But I only use my panniers so infrequently (only when touring) that I hardly ever need the fob. On the other hand as a commuter who uses the top box every time I ride, the Givi key in my right jacket pocket is always in use. I deliberately did not put it on the fob keyring to cut down on the frequency of access

Spratz likes this.
  6. Bill the Cat

Bill the Cat Active Member

Indeed he does, but that video is old enough that he may be down a spare or two due to the units growing up....

Scorch and ray2 like this.
  7. Scorch

Scorch Well-Known Member

That original unit has now spawned two sub-units of its own, so I think Pat should be fine for some years to come... :D

ray2 likes this.
  8. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

Keyless bullshit fucked me over properly this morning.

Suspect I left the bike "ON" last night because a mate of mine was waiting for me at home so rushed to let him in and in doing so also left my bag in the boot with the key attached.

Which means it doesn't have it's usual timeout to switch itself off when it goes out of proximity.

What made me think it wasn't a battery issue though was that it still went on this morning but then moaned about the key being missing. So I figured get the spare and put it under the seat but then no dice and the screen was only barely coming on.

Noticed the GPS being erratic as if it has stalled in the "on" position (piece of Garmin **** crashes often) but then that didn't make sense either as it just wouldn't get power if the bike was off and can't drain it.

So for the first time ever felt like a twat and called BMW roadside assist.

Guy hooked it up and it started instantly. Checked out the new X3 and chatted for a bit cause felt like I was just wasting his time.

Left bike running and went inside to put boots on and all that and then when jumping on the bike noticed heated grips were going nuts (probably default setting because of battery reset...which makes no sense) and then somehow in my rush to get going hit the kill switch instead of the heated grips button.

And you know it...of course it just had enough juice to almost crank...but not crank.

So had to call them again for the poor oke to make a u-turn to come back and jump it again.

Should probably just buy one of these Optimates/Boosters because I somehow cannot unlearn the habit of using the kill switch to stop the bike however long I've tried. Wasn't an issue on a keyed bike though as you always take it with you and therefore switch off the bike by default.

9. Brimstone Mahone

Brimstone Mahone Well-Known Member

Funny how we all have different "methods." I've never used a kill switch to shut off a bike! Only thing I have ever done with a kill switch is to wonder why it's there!

I was thinking that with a low battery you should have been able to bump start the bike but it occurs to me that with a slipper clutch, I guess you can't do that... :(

Jim Evans and Leon.P. like this.
  10. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

It was properly dead to the point the screen would have the RS logo short of pop up and then disappear.

The second time round it maybe have worked but I'm almost sure I read on here somewhere that a bump start actually doesn't work and the electronics prevent it?

Suspect the Killswitch habits come from our license testing processing as I seem recall they incorporate the use of it much like the American one does.

11. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

I have never used a kill switch for anything - on purpose, that is. ;) However, I have hit it once and awhile on a motorcycle, which then caused me grief. :( The first time I encountered a kill switch was on my kick-start-only 1971 Triumph Bonneville. I sure got a workout trying to kick start and push start that thing once, before I finally discovered that the kill switch had been accidentally turned off. :oops:

Leon.P., MartinC and Brimstone Mahone like this.
  12. Brimstone Mahone

Brimstone Mahone Well-Known Member

I suspect the number of us who HAVEN'T tried to start a bike with the kill switch engaged (whether kick or E-start) is, as Elton John once said, "Less Than Zero!"

Fortunately, many (most?) new bikes incorporate the kill button with the start button so that pressing the start button automatically takes it out of the "kill" position.

Leon.P. and ray2 like this.
  13. Grumpy Goat

Same here. Since the bike has to be turned off anyway, why introduce another step ... I just stab the keyless button and the engine is shut down and the bike is off all in one step. When I had a key, that would be turned anticlockwise and pulled out all in one motion and headed for my right side pocket before I was even conscious that it was done. To me the kill switch is there for emergencies only when you are required to shut off the bike immediately while maintaining steering control. But as you said, we each have out own ways. :)

MRZ and Leon.P. like this.
  14. runnerhiker

runnerhiker Well-Known Member Contributor

I have an Anti Gravity battery the size of a smartphone, comes with alligator clips. Perfect for jump starting a motorcycle.

Leon.P. and ray2 like this.
  15. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

I was able to bump start my R1100S when the battery was on its last legs after 7 years daily use.
    Needed a stiff slope.
    And then I needed oxygen, a shower, a lie down and a stiff drink.
    Big twins are a challenge.

16. Leon.P.

Leon.P. Well-Known Member

Try this Method. I ride the bike into the shed. Leave in gear. Kick the side stand out. That kills the engine. Turn the handle bars to the left. Get off the bike and hold that black button down for 2 seconds. Done!! Ignition Off and Steering locked at the same time. Who said old dogs can't learn new tricks.:);)

Grumpy Goat, Aussie Import and mrj like this.
  17. mrj

mrj Member

That's the way to go! I'm used to it as well.

Leon.P. likes this.
  18. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

I've seen this plenty of times from people who aren't in the habit of using it or getting phone calls about bike not starting and then I ask did you check Kill Switch and usually get a "never mind...click".

Being in the habit of using it this has never happened to beyond the very first time I started a bike.

It's part of our K53 inspection routine I guess to familiarize people with it being there. Isn't it in your MSF course as well?

But for me it's a case of getting to where I need to be and then killing the bike with the switch because I don't need to remove my hands from the bars which leaves the lights on and then I can move the bike into place and usually once fully parked and I'm getting off I would remove the key (or press button in this case) and that automatically does the rest.

Also a habit of long distance trips and Stop/Go's to kill the engine but leave the bike on for a quick getaway.

I do it that way 99% of the time (well I don't lock it at home, just at work or in public) but in this case must have been distracted and didn't turn it off.

Which normally isn't a problem as the key would be with me and it would shutdown by itself.

Had it not been Keyless I would have obviously taken the key out and along with me. At least I would like to believe so, but then again seeing as this happened at home chances are the key would have stayed in the bike too.

Oh well, so we learn. Will attempt to just kill it with the button now but it's a little inconvenient.

Leon.P. likes this.
  19. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

The kill switch on the RS feels shoddy and I don't use it.

20. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

Probably just because it's also the starter.