No customization options are available.

Just returned from Balkans bike trip

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Rod F, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

Do you mean Ade ?my new BFF who I have-not met yet :rolleyes: sounds like a great guy:)

Scorch likes this.
  2. Scorch

Scorch Well-Known Member

I've been looking at the possibility of a Magellan tour later this year. I'm not a fan of doing big tours on my own, and I'm not sure if any of my mates are able to manage a Euro tour this year. I initially also thought the prices looked a bit steep, but when I worked out what I'd be spending on accommodation, meals and channel crossing if I did it myself, it suddenly seemed more reasonable.

In the past, I've spent weeks agonising over routes and stopovers and accommodation, so doing it this way would also save me an enormous amount of time and effort, so it's looking more and more attractive to me.
    My only issue right now is that I'd struggle to get the necessary time away, as most of their tours have a minimum duration of 11 days, and I'll probably only be able to get away for a maximum of 8.

Andy Griffiths likes this.
  3. Bill the Cat

Bill the Cat Active Member

Yar, Game of Thrones filming location!

4. Darren

Darren Member

Some good info in this thread. I wouldnt do tour goup riding. Best part of touring for me is doing what i feel on the day. I do very little planning in advance. Just a basic idea of a route im going to go. I book all accomodaton on the day or day before on booking.com so can change route at any time or if want rest stay an extra night somehwere

I would love to do the balkans but for some reason am slightly apptrehensive about it. I dont with France, Spain, Germany etc but going into eastern europe alone i would be slighlty worried about

5. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

I've just returned from a 2000 mile round trip to the south of France. I'll put up a report in due course. I like riding solo, doing my own thing, adjusting the pace to ride for thrills or just bimble along soaking in the scenery. I miss having company for dinner in the evening as my French is not good enough for conversation with locals.

In June, I am organising another trip to France (Rhone alps) for 10 people. We will ride together some of the time but we usually fragment into smaller groups or single bikes and then come together for dinner. Some are early risers, two of the couples rarely get going before 10am. Sometimes we arrange to meet for lunch - somewhere that can be reached in an hour from the base but allows those who want to ride longer to select a circuit in the mountains.

As for "Eastern Europe" alone - most of it is in the EU now. I'd be more comfortable in Prague, Bratislava, Ljubljana, Zagreb or Gdansk than I would be in Barcelona, Paris or Birmingham. In general terms, those countries are so glad to see tourists in their country as it reaffirms for them that they are no longer living in a totalitarian country. I first visited Slovenia in 1999, received a huge welcome then and every time since.

Richard230 and boxerboy like this.
  6. yaboy123

yaboy123 Member

Nice trip, my friend! And thank you for all the trouble, you know, posting the pictures and stuff. I hope you had a great time and I hope you'll do some more trips! Cheers!

7. Stef

Stef Active Member

First, there's no need for pre-booking lodging if you're not travelling in july and august, the major vacation months on the continent. You'll always find a B&B for way under 100 EUR . If you take a tent, then you have complete freedom of choice.
    Second, since the weather in France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland,... is not always reliable, It is better to have multiple targets you want to visit, and choose your final destinations and road map according to the weather.
    Third, the best way to plan in EUROPE is to take a MICHELIN map, 1:400.000 and just look at it. The most scenic roads have a green border. Mark some points of interest on the map, take a look from about 1meter, and the road pops out of the map....

upload_2017-5-10_22-3-18.png

8. yaboy123

yaboy123 Member

Thanks for the tip! I didn't really know about Michelin maps before. I have to look more into this. :)

9. Stef

Stef Active Member

Go for the orange ones. They're the best compromise between detail and covered surface. The red ones are to global and the yellow ones are very detailed, too detailed for longer trips.