No customization options are available.

Is my engine going to explode?

Discussion in 'General R1200RS Discussions' started by Matt Ackerman, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Matt Ackerman

Matt Ackerman New Member

Just kidding on the title. :)

I am a first time BMW boxer owner. I have owned many motorcycles over the years and just recently switched from a Ninja ZX-6R to a BMW R1200 RS.

I have a 2018 bike with about 1000 miles on the clock at this point. I am wondering what is normal sounding for this bike. Now I am likely just a nervous new parent and not used to what this bike should sound like but I will be darned if this thing is noisy! Coming from a long line of Japanese motors maybe I have been spoiled by mechanically quiet engines..maybe. However maybe BMW dumped some steel marbles into mine

First of all it taps non stop on both cylinders. Sounds like a rocker arm needs to be adjusted. Now this bike is overhead cam and uses shims for valve clearance so I am sure it's not actually a rocker. Just goes tap-tap-tap-tap at half the RPM speed. Must be valve chain, cam, etc related. Darn thing sounds like it wants to shoot a valve out the cover in protest sometimes. At least the sound is equal on both cylinders. Really sounds strange however and really noticeable at idle / at a red light etc.

Secondly it rattles like crazy at 'low' RPM and under load. Between about 2,500 and 4,000 RPM it make a tinny rattle sound if the bike is accelerating. Sounds like preignition to me. Now I know with these fancy EFI bikes with sensors all over the place preignition just isn't possible. So what is it? Some kind of exhaust harmonic?

Anyone else have these noises? Is this normal or should I be taking it back to the dealer for an inspection? I mentioned it at the $400 dollar oil change (sorry I mean 600 mile service) and they said everything sounds great with the bike.

Thanks all!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  2. RJC_BMW

RJC_BMW Active Member

My 2016 tapped like hell at first as well. Bottom line = Cam Chain Tensioner. All better and no problems since.

As for rattles, not mine so I can't help you there. Either go back and hound your dealer\shop or find a different dealer (maybe?). If no positive result, I would contact BMW directly.

All that said, even when everything is perfectly aligned, don't expect the BMr to sound anything like your rice-burner. Mine sounds nothing like any Japanese or Italian bike I have ever owned. I take that as a good thing (the Ducati bikes being the best sounding of any & all bikes, imho).

3. Bravo

Bravo Plenty in the tank Contributor

Welcome aboard....
    I broached this question to my learned colleagues on the forum a while back. Took a ride on mine for the first time without my ear plugs in. The RS sounded like a biscuit tin full of nails being shaken.
    I was informed..... They all do that sir.
    Keep an ear on it and don't worry..... unless it gets worse.

ray2, Stick Rockwell and Leon.P. like this.
  4. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

After a bunch of miles on BMW K bikes both my wife and I bought R1200RSs.
    With the liquid cooled heads I figured the engine would be quiet like the K bikes, but I was wrong.
    The new boxer engine is noisy.
    Just to be sure, you could ask to take another Wethead bike out for a test ride and see if it sounds the same as your bike.

Welcome to the site Matt.

ray2, Aussie Import and Leon.P. like this.
  5. Firebird1

Firebird1 Member

My RS has been doing it for for the past 5K miles but only on the RH cylinder, from a cold start in the morning it sounds o.k. but after a few minutes it starts tapping then gets louder until I've done about 8 miles then it settles down, the bike is having it's 6k mile service next week so I'll mention it to the dealer to see what they say but I have read it could be the decompressor weight. Whilst it's in at the dealer I will also mention intermittent condensation in the top right of the instrument cluster and more importantly to me the paint work on the frame adjacent my left foot looks strange, it almost looks milky, at first I thought my boot had been rubbing this area but it's also inboard where my boot can't touch, so all said the dealer needs to come up with some satisfactory solutions, what this space.

Leon.P. likes this.
  6. boxter

boxter Well-Known Member

Watch it too,

My bike rattles but after owning a triumph tripple it seems placid,.

When I use heavy throttle in dynamic mode i can hear the rattle from the combustion in the front pipes, sounds good really.

There is a lot of metal flying round in them heads, bound to be some clunks.

Ged

7. duccrazydave

duccrazydave Active Member

First, Matt, I’ve owned my ‘16RS for about a year now. Been on Ducati and Kawasaki since ‘86. The LC boxer is definitely noisier than I thought it would be mainly on a cold start I would hear what seemed to be serious valve clatter, then go away quickly. At my 12k service the sheet showed all valves in spec. I’ve since figured out it doesn’t do that as bad when parked on the centerstand. Still a verbal engine though.
    Firebird, the “milky” spot on your frame rail may actually be a spot of protective clear film. I’ve got the same thing on my bike. See if this pic looks familiar

Attached Files:

Leon.P. likes this.
  8. Mr. 36654

Mr. 36654 Well-Known Member

As Scotty often said.........."Aye, Captain, She wont take more of this"........

Seriously, Howard Leight Laserlite earplugs cures the problem.

9. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Works for me.

boxter and Leon.P. like this.
  10. James Bagley

James Bagley Well-Known Member

Mine seems very quiet...but my other bike is a Moto Guzzi.

11. runnerhiker

runnerhiker Well-Known Member Contributor

Yep, earplugs make it sound like any Japanese inline four.

boxter, Richard230 and Leon.P. like this.
  12. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Matt ... welcome to the forum and thank you for such a witty and funny post! :D

I do know that you have some concerns concerning the sound of this bike since I too had the same concerns. I came from a Honda 2014 CBR500RA which is probably one of the sweetest smoothest sounding twins you'd likely hear. I had every intention to get a nice smooth 4-cylinder S1000XR but after I ruled that bike out due to high-frequency tingling-vibration in the handlebars, I decided to try this weird thing that was parked on the showroom floor - looked that a burly sport bike but had these fugly sticking out cylinders ... o_O

The salesman wheeled it outside and pressed the starter button and it did not start on the first try. Heh! But on the second try it started with a fart of white smoke out the tail pipe. I said "what the sh*t ...." :eek: and decided that was not going to be good. I thought "what the heck, I have got nothing to lose" so I walked up to it and heard the noise. Again ... "what the f... something must be wrong ... after the smoke fart it sounded like a rattle-can with a bunch of nuts and bolts rattling around inside trying to get out". He said take it for as long as you like ... "was that him trying to get rid of this bike or what?" I wondered. :rolleyes:

I brought the bike back 2 hours later with a smile on my face and asking him what the paperwork might look like ... :D:D

After the first test ride on the S1000XR I came back thinking "what the fr*g was that?!!! That is a demon machine!" (I will admit I had no idea what I was mounting when I threw a leg over, thinking that it was dual purpose like a GS. Boy was I wrong!!!) :D:p:D:p

After the test ride on the RS I realised that the bike had spoken to me like an old friend. Within 10 minutes. It made me laugh at its ability to growl from a crawl to a blast down the road with a weird sort of snarling blat that sounded flat and farty. Again with the farts. :D Slow-speed handling was excellent and it had excellent fuelling. I was too busy enjoying the bike to remember the sounds, which did not sound so bad once you got going.

I eventually got the RS home and, like you and in the confines of my box-like garage, wondered whether the rattle can of nuts and bolts would calm down. I even asked my buddy with an airhead GS what he thought of the sound and he said he loved it, and I wondered what the hell he was listening to ... I told him I thought was unnaturally rattly and he said they all sounded like that, although his airhead sounded so sweet and smooth!! But he liked my bike's sound. Weird. :confused::confused:

One thing is for sure ... just like you know your own baby's cry you get attuned to that boxer-sound. I can never forget waiting for my bike a the dealership when it was getting its 600 mile service done. I was looking down and reading a magazine in the showroom when I heard a certain sound and my head just snapped up for some reason and I just knew "who" was coming through the showroom. It is the first time I had heard the bike from a distance as opposed to being in close proximity or on the seat, and it sounded sweet. It does have a unique sound.

You'll get accustomed to it, and just smile when you return to it after riding something else. Because it is what it is. Character - take it or leave it. :)

13. rossouno

rossouno Member

:p:p:p Me too! I bought my Rs after having tried an Xr.

14. Tony101

Tony101 Well-Known Member

My RS sounds like a bag of shite next to my pal's 2012 cam head GSA. His motor sounds sweet, cold or hot. I thought that water cooling allowed closer tolerances!!

Bravo likes this.
  15. Firebird1

Firebird1 Member

Hi Dave,
    No it's not that protective film, from your photo come left and it's on the vertical member where it meets the hole/joint and on top of that joint, one last thing the face of that hole looks like there may be some rust, I'll try and post a photo.

duccrazydave likes this.
  16. Bravo

Bravo Plenty in the tank Contributor

You want to put a bit of tape on that Dave,it'll wear through :(

duccrazydave likes this.
  17. Tony101

Tony101 Well-Known Member

You can't beat a bit of protective film on your vertical member ................... f'nurrr, f'nurrrr.

18. lars Ormvold

lars Ormvold Active Member

Could it be the injector's you hear when the bikes is idle ? I can hear mine tick-tack when stationary and idle.

19. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

Huh? Say again! After 50 years without hearing protection, the "problem" does not exist.
    Also the NavV with a Sena 10 U and music takes my mind off little things like sirens, horns and profanity.
    Picture a deaf Mr Magoo.

20. RJC_BMW

RJC_BMW Active Member

This made me actually really laugh out loud! :D