No customization options are available.

Is BMW Discontinuing the R1200RS?

Discussion in 'General R1200RS Discussions' started by Chris Bolam, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Chris Bolam

Chris Bolam New Member

Had my RS for 18 months now and I'm still loving it. Unfortunately the frame has rusted and my dealership seems determined to replace parts in increments - starting with cheapest first - so I'm seeing more of my dealer than normal.

What I'm really noticing is a lack of showroom RS models. They're pushing the GS and XR really hard, but something tells me the RS has been deprioritised. Anyone got any info or theories. Would be a shame if they put all their sports touring aspirations into the XR - I welcomed the return to more traditional sports touring with the RS.

2. Bravo

Bravo Plenty in the tank. Contributor

My day has just got worse.... Thanks:(

Leon.P. and folagana like this.
  3. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

Not in the showroom because they're all sold ?

Leon.P. likes this.
  4. Chris Bolam

Chris Bolam New Member

Showroom stock and sales stock are usually fairly separate. I've been into a bunch of dealers recently and haven't seen one.

5. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

History repeating?
    R1200ST - 3 years production
    R1200RS xxx years?
    Maybe it will be the first with vvt?

ray2 likes this.
  6. PeTe T

PeTe T Active Member

Waiting for MY18 stock to arrive? As a potential buyer that's what I'm waiting to see. There were two blues in Parramatta last week. One is their demo.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  7. Humblebub

Humblebub New Member

In the past 5 weeks I have been in the Eastern Canada dealership 4 times. While no RS on showroom floor each time I was there , there was a RS prepped and waiting for new owner to pick up. This is an immense multi brand dealership and my sense is they can sell what BMW allocates. When I ordered my RS the dealer had three in the pipeline and I was number 4. This was in mid July when the buy season was just about over. At least here, the RS is selling.

Last and Leon.P. like this.
  8. Stef

Stef Member

Is normal. We keep all the goodies on the gold old continent :). Shops are full of r1200rs overhere :)

9. Graham Lewis

Graham Lewis Active Member Contributor

I bought the K1300GT and they stopped that bike, why no idea! they cannot do it to the RS

Leon.P. likes this.
  10. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

Can't say I've noticed the RS models changing stock wise really.

I've only ever seen one in dealerships at any one time and always the demo bike, so would rather consider it an alarm for discontinuing it.

It's never been super popular so it would be silly to stock a floor full of them.

11. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

I am not at all surprised. Each manufacturer will have models that sell more than others, and sell differently my region and location. One has to look at the bike's mission profile and compare that with what the riding public wants. Then there is price point. Do the people who can afford to buy bikes like BMWs able to live with the particular model?

There are several threads on this forum on the potential demise of the RS and the bottom line is no one knows at this point.

Also most of these questions seem to come from North America where cruisers are a big part of the market because people of a certain age seem to like short fat motorcycles with an upright driving position and couch-like seats, with decent acceleration (but questionable stopping ability) and crap cornering ability. ;)

So the RS is a niche bike as is the XR. Neither will be big sellers for BMW but both have their people. The GS on the other hand makes a lot more sense to a lot more buyers and the K bikes also sell well when it comes to touring.

As long as they keep making replacement parts for my bike I am happy, as I intend to keep mine a while. If they stop then, in a way, I am glad since my bike will be all the more special and "rare". I just love it when I pull up somewhere and people (including other BMW owners) come up and ask me about the bike (although sometimes it can delay my trip!) :)

gursel, boxerboy, Leon.P. and 2 others like this.
  12. James Bagley

James Bagley Active Member

These bikes are somewhat modular. As long as there is a R1200R, it will be likely that there will be a R1200RS. This approach makes it easier to amortize tooling costs and to stock spare parts. I expect that the RS will be around a bit longer...

13. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

It has been months since I have seen one 2017 RS on the showroom floor of my local dealership, although I have seen several 2017 R models come and go. Here is my thought about the NA market: BMWNA still had a lot of 2016 RS models left in the pipeline late last year and therefore ordered very few 2017 bikes. Now that limited supply has run out and they are waiting for the 2018 models to be produced by the factory, which might not happen for another 6 months. It has been my observation that BMW tends to manufacture country-specific models for a few weeks once or twice a year. The U.S. models seem to be made in the spring, so that they are delivered to dealers during the summer riding season. European models appear to typically be manufactured in the late fall, so that they can be displayed in showrooms while snow is covering the landscape in the hopes that their customers will buy the bikes so that they can be polished up and ridden the first time the snow melts. ;)

Right now I bet BMWNA is looking at the value of the U.S. dollar, which is rapidly sinking against the Euro and Pound, and wondering if it will bounce back up next year. :confused: I bet that may have something to do with when the 2018 models are imported and how many are shipped. Personally, I doubt that the RS line will be discontinued. It will likely just be the last model to be updated with any new gadgets (such as the new instrument panel) that are first introduced on the GS, then the RT, before they eventually get to the R/RS. Until then, I bet that the R/RS stays pretty much the same, except for BNG (bold new graphics). It might even stay the same until the new Euro 5 VVT engine is introduced. :confused:

14. Andy Griffiths

The K1200/1300 models had a 12 year production run so pretty good. The S1000 engine come along to replace it, therefore it was logical to have only one in-line four engine in production. The LC1200 boxer engine is only 4 years old so it has loads of life left (possibly until internal combustion goes completely :rolleyes:). Having an RS is not much extra cost - as a variant within the range- due to common parts so I expect to see the RS around for a good while yet. BMW appear to have a business plan based on numerous variants using one engine. Look at the nineT range as an example .
    I think a capacity increase, maybe with VVT, is the next development and will come to the GS or RT first.

15. Brimstone Mahone

Brimstone Mahone Active Member

As I've said before, I'd be happy if they discontinued it. The fewer of them, the less chance I look like "just another guy in the crowd." ;) That being said, I have yet to have seen another one out on the road.

Grumpy Goat likes this.
  16. Bravo

Bravo Plenty in the tank. Contributor

You Sir are now my new favourite :)

Dudis and Last like this.
  17. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

I saw one once over here (Houston) and another time in Athens Greece. Other times it was only when we met up as in the BMW Rally or our RS Ride-ins. I wouldn't be happy if they discontinued it but I understand where you are coming from and agree with the reason. I like its relative rarity.

18. Andy Griffiths

YEEEEES!

Bravo likes this.
  19. Bunter

Bunter Active Member

I wondered this after seeing the new all black model colour. A friend says it's common for BMW to signal the end of model lines by making an all black colour scheme. I've no idea if that's true though.

20. Andy Griffiths

I could name several models where this was not the case :).
    The K1300S for one. Last model was a Motorsport special edition.

Bunter likes this.