No customization options are available.

Irregular Brake Pad Wear

Discussion in 'R1200RS Tech and Performance Chat' started by Roadnwater, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Roadnwater

Roadnwater Active Member

One of my pads on the front are not wearing uniformly font to back as shown in the picture. The rear of the pad is wearing much faster. BTW with the pads on the other side the wear is more uniform but not perfect.

I checked the piston next to where it is wearing most and it moves freely.

Has anyone experienced this?
    IMG_1028.jpg

2. Duckbubbles

Duckbubbles Active Member

My first thought is that the piston at the top on the pad that is wearing unevenly is sticking so as not to put the proper pressure on the pad, so the lower piston is doing all(or most of) the work. You might try freeing it up by compressing it back into the caliper and pumping it back out a couple of times.

Frank

3. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

I noticed the same sort of wear pattern on the front brake pads of my 2014 Zero the last time I replaced its front tire. (I never bothered to check the pads before that.) It had Nissan brake calipers though, and a different (cheaper) caliper design that what is on the RS. I am not quite sure what to make of that type of wear, but it does make it harder to check the pads for wear before they reach a point where they might damage the expensive brake disc. :eek:

I might add that some years ago I noticed that the front brake pads of my Yamaha FZ1 were wearing out about twice as fast on the pad surfaces closest to the wheel, compared with the pads on the outside of the caliper. So what I did in that case (which is different than the pad wear you have experienced) was to remove the pads and reverse them so that the more worn inside pads were on the outside and the outside pads are now on the inside. It made no difference in braking performance and the pad wear has now evened out. The bike has 35K miles on the clock and I am waiting for those pads to finally wear out so that I can install the new set of DP pads that I have had in my brake pad collection for a while, waiting for the day when they are needed. ;)

4. James Bagley

James Bagley Well-Known Member

Possibly a sticky full-floating rotor bobbin? Sometimes a bobbin will stick, creating a rotor that is not quite plumb. The pads at the leading edge will contact the rotor first creating a possibility of uneven wear. It still moves into alignment under pressure, so you would not notice during a ride. Try flushing the rotor bobbins with some brake cleaner...

5. boxter

boxter Active Member

It could possibly just have had a small piece of foreign matter stuck between the bottom piston and the pad, from the picture it looks like it's the left pad only, if it was a leading edge thing it would be the same for both, and floating pins are unlikely to make it wear like that, when cleaned and new pads are fitted it will be interesting to see how the next set wear.

Ged

ray2 and Aussie Import like this.