No customization options are available.

Illium Risers

Discussion in 'Parts & Accessories' started by Bert Adams, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Bert Adams

Bert Adams New Member

I recently installed the Illium Risers on my R1200RS and found the installation very simple and straight forward. The dimensional change, given the steering head geometry, translates to a 1.1" displacement to the rear and a height increase of 1.1". For me, the change is very noticeable and changes the feel and character of the bike. I don't feel as much a part of the machine as I did with the original mounting. It does provide me with a bit more up right position (I am 5"-11" with 30" inseam) and reduces the loading at my wrists. I also benefit from less fatigue in my neck which is brought on as the result of an old neck injury. At the age of 76 and having started motorcycle riding at 14, I now find myself giving comfort a bit more consideration than in years past. I gave up some of the bikes feel in the twisties for a bit more comfort. I can't say enough about how pleased I am with this machine.

2. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

Good for you Bert, hope Im still riding at your age - and on great machinery. Bet you've seen some changes !

3. loubre

loubre Active Member Contributor

Hi Bert, I'm exactly the same height as you and now at 59 had the same issues, I've also fitted the Ilium risers and they have made a huge difference.

4. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Wow Bert. Not only are you riding at 76 but a sporty sport tourer no less, and not a couch on 2 wheels cruiser. ;) Way to go.

5. Leon.P.

Leon.P. Well-Known Member

Hi Bert. I have also fitted Ilium Risers. I am only 5.5 but the Risers have helped. At 68 I need all the help I can get.LOL:)

6. DABs

DABs Active Member

May I just say that having picked up my Senior Railcard last month and just sent off my age-triggered bowel screening samples, how reassuring and uplifting I find this forum :)

Dave

7. Ivor wilson

Ivor wilson New Member

Hi there folks, have just fitted the Ilium barbacks to my bike, have any of you noticed that the clutch line is on the tight side on full right hand lock, have lowered the levers slightly but but for a riser that states no change for stock lines and cables i think the clutch line is a bit tight. Having said that you are not on full lock to often. Any thoughts from you guys

Ivor

8. DABs

DABs Active Member

Have you removed the cable tie and its support from the left fork? That's in the MV Mottorad riser instructions.

Dave

9. Ivor wilson

Ivor wilson New Member

Yes Dave i have removed the tie and the wire bracket, will see how it goes to-day.
    Thanks for your reply

Ivor

10. terry lees

terry lees Active Member

Hot damn, I thought I was oldest on here at 74 1/2 Still sticking with the original bars and screen for the time being though.

11. oscarguitar

oscarguitar Well-Known Member

Respect. :)

12. Ivor wilson

Ivor wilson New Member

Hello Terry, the ilium bar backs are well worth the money, takes the strain off your wrists for a much improved riding position for us (old codgers)!!!, been out to-day for 80 miles and no problem, the clutch line seems a little tight on full F/H lock but i think it is because the line is quite rigid and lowering the levers and removing the wire loop from the left hand side of the forks and it seems to be O.K. As i said earlier you are not on full lock that often. Age my friend is just a number in your head, so keep riding safe and look out for the idiot cage drivers.Having said all of the above i am still thrashing
    around on a VFR 800 Vtec as well

Ivor

13. TwoWheels

TwoWheels New Member

Based on all this advice, I ordered the Ilium risers yesterday and hope to have them on hand to install next weekend. I have a bad elbow and even with heavier bar end weights, I'm hoping a little more mass will calm the mild vibes I seem to feel and take some pressure off the wrists and elbow. I must say that I feel like a spry young man at 49 reading your posts!

14. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

76 and no complaints about a bike like this...and then to think I was worried about it at a mere 33.

15. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Amazing ain't it? But he does not have the record on the board for life experience. For that you have to check Ron Miller or Rev Ken. :) I think of them and funnily any aches I might have (not that there are many!) disappear ....

16. wantajustride

wantajustride Member

I installed my Ilium risers today.
    Very easy to fit and as others have said the clutch line is the only thing that I'm not completely satisfied with.
    It seems just a tad bit tight for my liking. I rotated the clutch lever assembly down just a little and that seemed to help some (not a lot).
    I'll get out and do a long ride ride in a day or so and see how the fit feels now. Just sitting on the bike it seems like the rider is moving to a bit more of a neutral position yet still a sport feel.

P1050533.jpg

17. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

Is it a problem only at full lock?

Because as that goes the biggest challenge I have with the RS is just how wide the steering lock actually is and therefore very rarely use it at full lock anyway as it freaks me out every time.

18. wantajustride

wantajustride Member

Seems to be only when it hits the stop at full right hand turn. I'm contemplating re-routing the clutch line.
    Guess I'd like to know what the majority of others with the Ilium risers have done?

19. wantajustride

wantajustride Member

After looking at the install again this morning and turning the handlebars to full lock left and right, I just wasn't happy with how tight the clutch hose appeared to be on full lock to the right.
    As I looked at ways to try and get just a little more slack in the cable I came to the conclusion non could be had without re-routing the line!
    So out came the torx bits, side cutters and a few other miscellaneous tools.
    Off with the body panels, A fairly easy procedure (youtube video from Hornig made that part pretty straight forward).
    The hardest part of the process was cutting one of the ties between the frame and the radiator that secure the clutch line and an electrical harness.
    Then came the part I was most nervous about,, separating the hose from the master reservoir. But it came apart easily. (Use care not to lose the 0-ring that sits inside the threaded orifice of the master cylinder!!)
    I then re-routed the line and gained a couple inches of slack.
    Re-installed the hydraulic hose back on the clutch reservoir. Re-mounted the clutch assembly back onto the handle bar.
    Slowly operated the clutch lever (20 times I'd guess) until resistance was felt in the lever and the system bled. Then I started the bike and operated the clutch shifting the transmission. :)
    All seems to operate as it should! Re-installed the body panels done.
    I'm not saying this a no brainer / simple procedure to do by someone who has limited mechanical experience. But it certainly isn't the most technical thing to do either.
    The end result gave me peace of mind that now the hydraulic line has plenty of slack in it now. No binding in either full lock position.
    If you have any reservations about doing this yourself by all means take it to the dealer.
    I will say the Hornig Youtube video helped some in this procedure.

20. Rebel13

Rebel13 Active Member

I had my service department check both cable clearances after installing my Illium risers.
    They said that clearances were OK and within specs.