No customization options are available.

How many of you tried an XR?

Discussion in 'R1200RS Versus The Competition' started by jamesgarnor, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Peter Burridge

Peter Burridge Well-Known Member Contributor

What I really mean Bill is when stationary, before setting off. I can get a quiet change to 1st on the move okay.

Peter

2. Bunter

Bunter Active Member

Arh I see, doesn't feature much on my radar so probably not crunchy, or maybe the same as other bikes tend to be.

Peter Burridge likes this.
  3. Axel

Axel New Member

The MY2017 is noticably smoother...

Peter Burridge and oscarguitar like this.
  4. Peter Burridge

Peter Burridge Well-Known Member Contributor

If it doesn't feature I suspect it's much improved

5. Phillo

Phillo Active Member

Peter said..I'd also be interested to find out if the 2017 RS with the damper in the gearbox input shaft still crunches into 1st gear.[/QUOTE]

I dought the damper will make much difference..in my experience most " wet clutches " crunch..my K1300S was terrible when cold and a little better when hot..the previous boxers with single plate dry clutch didn't crunch much...

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  6. Charles

Charles Active Member

I test drove them both on the same day on the same road. The reason that I was looking at a new bike was my commute. About two hours both ways and wanted to save miles on car and better gas mileage. The first one was the XR, wow is it quick but the vibration, riding position and gas mileage was not to my liking. I race mountain bike and like to be a little forward. Then came the RS and I really enjoyed how it did not fell heavy. The riding position felt really good to me. Plus it gets about 12 mpg more than the XR. Overall they are great bikes but for a long day in the saddle the RS easily beat out the XR.

7. Bub

Bub Active Member

My brother bought a low version '16 XR this summer and I had a chance to ride it for the first time yesterday. It's a nice bike with plenty of power above 5k rpm, but I much prefer the way the RS makes power, or just twins in general. It doesn't have that low RPM pull that a twin does that I'm fond of. It's not right or wrong, just a preference. He's a small guy and had put narrower bars on it, which I found comfortable, but there was definitely still a buzz to it. The transmission shifts much smoother than the RS though. The short range of the bike would be an issue for me as well. He's had many BMW's, usually short term, and is very happy with it. That motor is eye opening when you rev it, but not my cup of tea for a bike of that type.

Marek and Charles like this.
  8. Marek

Marek Member

I test rode both before making a decision, even though I was sold on RS looks way before I considered getting one. This actually pushed me towards BMW in 1st place, I am more of a Ducati guy. XR and GS are in my opinion unattactive to look at. Coming off Ducati ST2 (in touring), I also bailed on MTS 1200 beacuse it shares the looks of adv bike and believe it or not, I felt it is too strong with it the long suspension travel, front getting too light whenever I pushed it a bit.
    Now to XR and RS - for what I need the bike, toruring that is (I have 4 other bikes to ride on:) I thought RS is perfect. Quite sporty, amazingly torquey engine, no matter what gear, what revs, it pulls. XR kept me grinning and I kept pushing it, just rolled on full throttle. Handling was amazing and very confidence inspiring (if not a bit harsh). Also its quickshifter is miles ahead of the one on RS. The way I intend to use this bike though, brought me to conclusion that RS is what I need. I don't intend to race the bike all the time, like I did on XR. However:) I keep thinking about XR, especially as it came out in dark blue metallic, colour that hides its looks, soo, I think one day, I may trade my RS and see for myself what is like to keep it for longer than a demo:)

9. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm Well-Known Member

My wife and I were fortunate enough to be selected to accompany Motorcyclist magazine to help them review a few bikes back in 2015. http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/epic-motorcycle-rides-motorcyclist-edelweiss-european-readers-tour
    The three bikes we tested were: 2015 Ducati Multistrada, 2015 BMW S1000XR, and 2015 KTM Super Adventure.

Of those three bikes, my favorites were, in order KTM, BMW, a bunch of other bikes, then a distant last would be Ducati.
    I just recently purchased a new '16 Super Adventure. I shopped the XR hard, dealers were dealing. Ultimately $5K off MSRP coaxed me into the KTM.

Things I loved most about the XR: power, sound of motor intake at wide open throttle, gear shift assist pro. The ones we were testing were early 2015's. I noticed a tingle through the bars, but nothing like reports I've read.

For the test we had 4 Multistradas, 2 XR's, and 2 KTM's. The extra fill in bikes were new R1200GS's. I spent a couple of riding days on the GS, loved it, could picture one in my garage one day.

10. edward barkan

edward barkan Member

Earlier in this thread I had mentioned that I never took an XR for a test ride because I had heard too many complaints about the handlebar vibrations. More recently though, I learned that the vibrations can be greatly reduced using heavy bar-end weights, and that BMW has come up with some soft handlebar mounting bushings that can further reduce vibrations. With that in mind, I took a test ride. I like the upright seating position and the light, responsive seating. Loved the sound too. I liked the bike enough that I now have one in my garage sitting next to the R1200RS, which I still love.

Right now, after putting only around 200 miles on the XR (compared to almost 6000 on the RS), I'm not sure which I like better. Each have advantages and disadvantages. Fortunately I don't have to choose one over the other. The riding experience between the bikes is very different, so I'm looking forward to the variety that having both of these wonderful bikes can provide.

11. runnerhiker

runnerhiker Well-Known Member Contributor

I rode a '16 XR today that had the BMW service work done on the handlebars, a no cost service bulletin work. It adds weights to the bar ends and installs a rubber "gasket" at the triple clamp. It is a 100% successful mod, the bike is smooth at all RPM's now. That's great news, but it's still not a bike for me, I am keeping my RS.

12. Barnesyboy

Barnesyboy Active Member

I'm getting that 18 month itch that needs scratching, time to try the XR again.

13. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

Sorry, BarnseyBoy, I just can't relate to short term ownership. I don't like short term human relationships either. I have given some bikes (and people) the heave ho, but with good reason...

14. Caveman

Caveman Well-Known Member

I'm the same as you AI... then again my marriages lasted less time then pregnancies and I get a new bike every six months... never mind... you and I could never hang AI :)

15. Aussie Import

Hi Caveman. What are you riding these days?

16. Caveman

Uh lemme think AI... Oh yeah the K1300S :)
    Traded my S1000R in on it in late November.

17. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

I once mentioned this to a BMW salesman, that KTM will beat BMW if they can continue to undercut their prices, since perceived quality is similar but the KTM has the edge in performance and features between similar bikes. My problem is that they are butt ugly to my eyes, and that is saying something when compared to a German product (compared to, say, an Italian product).

Jim Evans and Richard230 like this.
  18. Barnesyboy

Barnesyboy Active Member

The way I see it when the tyres need pumping up it's time for a new bike, joking, but aside from losing money every time you change what's the need to have a long term relationship? As for that significant human relationship - if only, if only, if only, nah she's a good 'un.

19. Aussie Import

A mate of mine has the K1300S. Its a big unit. Very fast too.

Jim Evans likes this.
  20. Caveman

It is fast. It doesn't feel much bigger than the RS. Flicks pretty well.