No customization options are available.

How many of you tried an XR?

Discussion in 'R1200RS Versus The Competition' started by jamesgarnor, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

The general opinion within the BMW Club here is the 1300 is faster than the 1600, and in road conditions has the edge on the S1000 RR / R.

It was a huge improvement on the K 1200 especially with the banishment of the electric servo brakes.

At least you now have plenty of body panels that you could get air brushed to put your unique stamp on it. Caves, clubs, animal skins and women with long hair being dragged home behind you.

Jim Evans likes this.
  2. Marek

Marek Member

I keep thinking about XR. Especially after putting 2k km last week around Andalusia and finding that even with bar risers, I keep getting stiff in my lower back after riding for an hour or so..I neither sit straight nor lean forward..the clunky gearbox is also driving me crazy, especially when downsifting from 3rd to 2nd, it goes into neutral, freaking annoying, especially if you're about enter a corner..My feeling is, sitting dead straight will sort this issue out. I tried my mate's GS and as it was comfortable well beyond my expectations and I managed to keep up with the guy on Firebladeon a twisty road, I just felt its lack of razor-sharpness is an issue for me. I like "spirited" riding and good chassis is a must.

3. Caveman

Caveman Well-Known Member

It's significantly lighter than the 1600 so maybe that's why it's faster. In terms of handling I find it interesting that I have more confidence then what I had with the S1000R. The S1000R was bouncing out of lines pretty easily and did not feel nearly as stable as the K. The only aspect of handling I liked better on the S1000 was the easy flicking and mid-corner adjustment ability. Other than that I like the K Better. I can also hang off the K easier which I like. When I went to hang off the S1000 it seemed I unsettled it and was too heavy for it. It liked being levered at the wide bars and I do NOT like that. Not on a small bike like that. Some on the S1000R have had both and say the K1300 is like the K1600 and S1000R had a baby. I can believe it.

I want the hair of my conquests glued on my side panels :)

4. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

The 1600 is more stable when hitting bumps while cornering due to "road hugging weight". ;)

runnerhiker likes this.
  5. Caveman

Caveman Well-Known Member

OR the 1300 in my case, and yes of course the weight helps. ;)However, that telelever soaks up bumps really well and keeps the chassis from being disturbed. It's a pretty good stock suspension. I also found my S1000R a little nervous. For contrast my old TUono which weighed just a bit more was far less nervous. Most S1000R owners swap the stock steering damper, which sucks, for an Ohlins. I was going to do that before I traded it in on the K. It was a necessity on the S1000R.

6. Jim Evans

Jim Evans Well-Known Member

I've only ridden a 1300 for a few hours but I did find it a bit of a lump around town compared to the RS. Insanely fast, though.

7. OW31

OW31 Member

Can you see the point now, if so what changed your mind?

8. Gregory Clark

Gregory Clark Active Member Contributor

The XR was a bike I've wanted to ride - it was one of those fantasy bikes - a bike I thought I'd have to have. After a 30 minute test ride I am so glad I am on the RS. This was a 2017 with 900 miles on the clock. Look - it has an amazingly powerful motor, one that can wheelie in any gear at anytime you just think about it, but for me that is where the fantasy ran into my reality.
    This bike is a hand and ball buzzer. I couldn't find a RPM where the annoying high frequency buzz was absent. My hands tingled for a good 30 minutes after getting off the XR. My balls buzzed too, but that is a different story. So much for the BMW fix we've been hearing about.
    The posture was all wrong for me. I am used to the sit up an beg posture but I felt cramped in the XR cockpit and I'm 5'8".
    I like wide bars and am accustom to the ADV bike like bars but the sweep on this one had my elbow up way too much.

I walked away thinking this bike will be selling for deep discounts if it isn't already.

Pass.

9. OW31

OW31 Member

I doubt it, it's BMW's third best selling bike.

10. Gregory Clark

Gregory Clark Active Member Contributor

Well, good for BMW - I have no idea why it is a top seller and I am assuming this is a global stat?
    It isn't an ADV bike and it isn't a touring bike and it is trying to be an sport bike but failing on several fronts. To me it is the most unrefined BMW I've ever ridden.

11. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

Would be interesting to see if it's their best re-selling bike as well. :)

Because I see a shit load of them on the floors second hand.

runnerhiker likes this.
  12. Derek Gaston

Derek Gaston New Member

I was looking at a 1290 Super Adventure S or a XR; really wanted the XR! Couldn't get a test ride on a 1290 at my local KTM dealer but the service manager at the BMW dealer set me up with a XR as a loaner while my car had some work done. When I arrived at the dealer we found that the sales guy had booked someone for a demo on the XR not realising I was thinking of buying so it wasn't available. The service manager gave me the keys to a RS instead. I would never have test ridden one but I loved it - comfort, torque, handling/ride - overall pretty quick and easy to ride. When I got back to the dealership the XR had been returned so the service manager suggested I take it out too as there was still a couple of hours to closing. It's a great bike (in my view if you don't like it something is wrong with you!) but I brought it back after 40 mins as I knew I couldn't live with it. I'd love to have it to take out for an hour or so of blasting around but not to use for a day; it's just a bit too raucous and hard-riding for me.

I had been spoiled by the RS!! I found it just as quick in real terms and much more fun. So, I bought their demo (I fell for the special Iconic paint job) and I finally take delivery tomorrow.

Just shows - you need to try a bike to know whether it's right for you and to keep your mind open!

13. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Great choice and post Derek. Welcome to RS ownership. :)

I too had a similar impression of the XR which was my choice until I decided against it back in August 2015 for much the same reasons as you cited and also because of the buzzing. Since that time they have mitigated the buzzing somewhat but at the end of the day the other main reason it lost out to the RS was the rpm at cruising speed causing me to look for 7th or 8th gear. No such problem on the RS.

14. Marek

Marek Member

Did you get to test 1290 SAS? When I sat on the bike, it felt like made to measure to me. It also doesn't feel, nor look, heavy like GS does. Aftter getting quotes for replacing my RS for XR, I decided to invest in the new screen and swap bars for XR ones - waaay cheaper than exchanging bike for better ergos:). If this works, I'll stay with my RS, if not, I need to keep looking. KTM gets a lot of positive reviews, but it's not as refined (electronics, etc.) as BMW, nor is its finish quality. Also, friend of mine and an experienced biker at the same time, who used to work for KTM, tells me they're the kings of marketing rather than kings of motorcycle building, so an opinion form fellow RS owner will be valuable.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  15. RS i Mc

RS i Mc Member

Nice one Derek, you are soooooo right about the paint job, it is the real deal :)

16. Derek Gaston

Derek Gaston New Member

Hi Marek. No, I didn't get to try the 1290SA although I really wanted to but they seem unable to get a demo unit at my local dealer. So I was starting to give up and then "accidentally" tried the RS and here I am! I really fancied the 1290SA and may still get one later but I'm lucky enough to have a hexhead 1200GSA and a G650XCountry to use as well so I'll probably leave the 1290 itch for another year or two .

17. Jurian Killian

Jurian Killian New Member

will probably get some comments but for me it's to slow down, being 25 and need to be more responsible. The RS still have enough power to enjoy riding, were with the XR I almost want to redline it the whole time.
    Giving a more responsible explanation, the I feel the front wheel gave me more feed back and the upright seating position of the XR didn't give me that much feed back as the RS. I wanted to get away from chain drive as well, so for me, if I wanted to side upright, I would have gone for the GS.

18. Marek

Marek Member

I finally managed to test ride XR again and changed to Superadventure S right afterwards.
    My impressions are: 1. RS is a truly great machine and it grew on me in comparison after 2 bikes I am eyeing as a potential RS replacement:)
    XR is extremely responsive, both when it comes to steering and engine, two things - apart from comfier, than RS ergos - I really, really appreciate about this bike. At the same time, in a city traffic, I would go from 1st to 6th gear within 200m, it is so short geared. I actually thought it could do with a automatic transmission, although its quickshifter is brilliant. Things I didn't like so much were the seat, which require change to some aftermarket option. No possibility to move around for 1,5hrs (I did not get off the bike on the purpose, to see what it will feel like) can be literally a pain in the a..:) Short gearing isn't brilliant if you intend to tour on such bike. Vibrations: I rode 2017 model, but cannot see any improvement over earlier model. It does happen exactly where you're going to ride your bike on rural roads, 110-130 km/h. It doesnt vibrate, but "tingles". Not sure whether it wouldn't turn out to be very tiring after all day in the saddle, I somehow feel it would, as it wasnt pleasant after 20 mins of constant riding with these speeds already. Suspension is also on the firm side, when comparing to RS. Range: over 150 kms I did on the bike, it showed 6,9l/ 100km. 0.9l more than my RS does when I ride it in similar fashion. Tank is of the same size, so even a shorter range, bit annoying. Clutch handle looks cheap and is a bit grabby. Clocks do not show outside temp (only engine). As I like the looks of XR clocks more, showing temp is a must, come on. Would I swap RS for XR? Still haven't made up my mind, but as appealing its engine performance and steering is, I'm even more confused, given the way I use this bike. Being cold hearted, definitely no (then, who is cold hearted when it comes to bikes:)

Superadventure S: I like the looks (well, the stock can would definitely need to go). Steering is slower, given its 19 inch wheel in front. I actually thought GS steers quicker than this bike! Maybe this is also down to the fact, that I rode XR few minutes earlier, which is super loght and reponsive, yet stable, wth its steering. Engine, oh boy. This is a monster of an engine! I managed to wheelie it on the 4th gear!:)) Doing 140-150km/s and rolling on the throttle, it does exactly what I want it to do - catapult me to the front. It is quite tall geared though, a bit like my Ducatis, you won't need 6th gear until about 110-120 km/s. RS is much more well mannered in this aspect, both compared to XR and SAS. No quickshifter on the bike I tested. It happen few times that I struggled to find a neutral with 1st attempt, clutch being light to use though. Ergos wise, seat is crap, very hard, also my knees had a funny angle as I wasnt able to comfortably hold the bike between my tighs, like I do with RS and XR. Semi active suspension was very good, all sorts of modes, even on comfort setting, it did not dive under heavy braking. It has fantastic display, bit a tablet like. Toggling between optons was easy. The only downside was that the day was cloudy and it kept swapping from day to night mode. Clouds shoudnt be enough to tigger such change. Electronics on KTM are in my opinion still behind BMW's. Bike had only 700kms done after each restart it would say: "service" and "low pressure in tyres". Dealer informed me it's all good, they just don't know how to fix this glitch. This says something about electronics and service of KTM..Tank is fairly large, 21, or 24l (cant recall it know, bigger than beemers). It used 6,5l/ 100km's. Thirstier, but not but a huge margin, than RS. Would I swap my RS for it? Before the ride, after seeing all reviews on youtube and reading them in magazines, I thought SAS will impress me way more than it actually had. As much as I am a fan o V-twins and twins in general, I have to say I wouldnt.

I think BMW needs to upgrade their XR into sth more of a ADV version (better range, fixing vibrations, but keeping road wheels though), or I will wait for Yamaha mt10 Tracer, when it finally goes into production:) Until then, RS it is:)

19. Jeroen1969

Jeroen1969 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the report. Confirms my thoughts: with my 2010 R1200RT and 2015 R1200RS, I'm all set for the next 5 to 10 years. Though I will go and try the illustrial, magical, wonder machine-for-all on the next maintenance service for my RS....the GS..
    anticipate to return thinking: "I think I get what all that fuzz is about... Now give me back my RS!"

20. Barnesyboy

Barnesyboy Active Member

Well, I've gone and done it, I'm part-ex'ing the RS for the XR. Changing over this Saturday coming. A bit like going from the GS to RS I'm not entirely sure I'm doing the right thing but once that mindset sets in you have to just get on and do it. Nothing wrong at all with the RS (like GS prior to that) just fancied a change. At least I'm not a luggage set down this time!

Cheers all for the info and interesting reads.

Andy Griffiths likes this.