No customization options are available.

How are you getting so many miles out of your tires!?

Discussion in 'R1200RS Tyres/Tires' started by Dejocko, Aug 10, 2017.

1. stuart2820

stuart2820 Active Member

I didn't go into it with him in any more detail. I suppose I should have. I just nodded my head sagely and said something like '... really?'
    I'm guessing it just comes down to personal feel.
    I doubt I'm riding as many miles or operating at the same skill level as the police to notice any difference between the tyres personally.

2. OKBMW

OKBMW Active Member Contributor

Look into the Conti Road Attacks, I have recently read some good reviews of those tires for both performance and longevity.

3. Scorch

Scorch Well-Known Member

I'll definitely be going for the Roadsmart IIIs again when I need to change. 7,500 miles on mine and so far they've outperformed everything else, including PR4s, of which I was previously a staunch supporter. I reckon I should easily get about 9k miles out of the rear, and a bit more from the front. My Metzelers fell apart at 8k, and the PR4s were pretty much gone at 8.5k.

The only (and very minor) niggle I've had with them has been that they seem noisier than other tyres I've used.

4. Dejocko

Dejocko Member

So I think I'm getting a lot more confident in my riding abilities on the RS...that plus wearing leathers with knee sliders has made me feel safer and more confident going faster and leaning over further...but God damnit, only got 3k miles out of this set of Pirelli Angel GT A specs.

The front tire is almost completely even to the wear bars on the tread at the sides and the rear tire is almost there at the center.

First set of tires: OEM Z8 Interacts - 5300 miles
    Second set of tires: Pirelli Angel GT A Spec - 4500 miles
    Third set of tires: Pirelli Angel GT A Spec - 3000 miles

These tires are really grippy but I'm going on a 1k mile ride this weekend and doubt my dealership (that doesn't keep them in stock) will be able to get a new set delivered and installed in time for my departure.

Looks like my next set will be Dunlop or Michelin.

5. GordonH

GordonH Well-Known Member

What's the wet grip been like on the Dunlops Scorch?

6. stuart2820

stuart2820 Active Member

If you can't get your favoured tyres for this weekend, I'd recommend the Michelin Power RS from first-hand experience if your dealer has them in stock.
    I went from Z8's to them and the difference in tangible feel for sporty riding was noticeable.
    Again, just don't expect high mileage from them!

7. Scorch

Scorch Well-Known Member

I've found them to be brilliant. I don't think I'm good enough to be able to say definitively whether they're better than the PR4s, but I'd say I'm certainly just as confident on them in the wet as I was on the PR4s.

8. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

I would not make the same mistake by getting the Pirelli Angels again. The trend is downwards from the look of your data and as you get more comfortable riding the RS the mileage will likely get worse. Looking at the above maybe you'll get 1500 miles out of a fourth set of the Pirellis. :D

I have had nothing but good performance from my Michelin PR4s. The current set I have now on the bike are into excellent numbers now, so much so that I have stopped counting the miles. Suffice it to say that it is over 12,000 miles on the front with lots of tread left and on the rear I have about 1 mm over the centre wear bars at about 11,ooo miles. Now I ride sensibly most of the time and that has something to do with it. :)

9. Dejocko

Dejocko Member

I've thought about them but been concerned about all the weight being put on such a sport oriented tire.

I definitely wouldn't do them during a warmer season when my wife would be with and we would be nearing or exceeding max GVWR including luggage.

245lb rider
    145lb pillion
    Luggage

10. Dejocko

Dejocko Member

Those are more than likely what I'll go with as I know the dealership carries them for all the RT customers. Honestly I could probably get another 500miles or maybe more out of this set of tires with conservative throttle use but I don't trust myself to do that on a unseasonably warm weekend with me out to have a great time.

If I was staying close to home I would risk it but, not worth the potential issues of a blowout so far from home.

11. stuart2820

stuart2820 Active Member

I toured round the west of Ireland with them earlier this year two-up with luggage.
    230lb rider
    112lb pillion
    Luggage (including hair dryer)

I wouldn't let that put you off :)

But hey, I'm beginning to sound like a Michelin rep - to each his own!

Currently on Metzeler 01's

12. Roadnwater

Roadnwater Active Member

Dunlop Roadsmart III's have given the longest mileage yet, and perform well.
    I just removed my RSIII's and am trying a set of Conti RAIII's now. I have gone through 2 sets at Angels and loved the feel but the mileage was atrocious. Used up 3 sets of Metzeler 01's and got better mileage with essentially the same feel as the Pirelli's. However both are not what I want for mileage. The RSIII's got approx 25% longer life than the Metz. They turn in and grip as well as the others, and may become my permanent tire choice.
    After a few miles on the Conti's my initial impression is that they turn in slower, although not as incredibly slow as the Michelins that came on the bike. I removed the PR4's because I could not tolerate this and the poor grip on poor quality roads. All the others made the bike much more lively and gave better grip in these conditions.

Grumpy Goat likes this.
  13. Grumpy Goat

While I have had a great experience with all the PR4s I have had, including excellent mileage and dry and wet grip, your (and Darrell's) positive feedback on the Dunlop Roadsmart IIIs mean that I will be buying a set soon. Got a gift certificate from my daughter to JP Cycles (which recently bought Motorcycle Superstore :() and that is the only thing I can use the certificate on - everything else appears to appeal to the cruiser side of motorcycling. Talk about a store that has nothing of interest to the average BMW rider! Motorcycle Superstore was 1000x better, but at is another discussion.

Jim Evans likes this.
  14. Roadnwater

Roadnwater Active Member

Another point is that the Dunlops wore more evenly than the Metz 01's, so they performed essentially the same throughout their lives. As others have said the 01 will whine especially as the sides of the front tire wear.
    The other advantage that I did not mention is that the RS is the lowest priced tire of any and made in the USA. The Conti is slightly more expensive and is made in Europe, which is also good. Metzeler/Pirelli pricing has gone crazy to the point where they are not competitive. Add to this the fact that they are Chinese owned.
    I am so glad that Dunlop has such a good tire and I hope that Continental turns out good for me also.

15. darrell

darrell Well-Known Member Contributor

I agree with your comments on the RS III as being a good tire. If I understand their marketing guys; who I did a data collection ride for, the RS III are manufactured in Japan not in the US as many of their other models are.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  16. Grumpy Goat

Yes another reason against the Metzelers ... can't stand whining ...:D

Jim Evans likes this.
  17. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

What surprises me is that you do not hear US riders talk about Avon tyres. A good old British brand with some still made in England, although my Avon car tyres are made elsewhere. You'd think your Cooper Tires who own Avon would try to push the brand more, especially considering the favourable exchange rate for UK exports.

18. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

As near as I can tell, Avon tires do not seem to be marketed much in the U.S. I have no idea why not, but it probably has something to do with their NA distributor - or lack thereof. :confused: I have always thought that Avon made some pretty good motorcycle tires. They are just hard to find here.

19. Grumpy Goat

Funny how when I think of Avon makeup and pretty women come to mind .... certainly not tires (although I do know of their existence). :D

duccrazydave likes this.
  20. GordonH

GordonH Well-Known Member

Ding dong...Avon calling!

duccrazydave and Grumpy Goat like this.