No customization options are available.

How are you getting so many miles out of your tires!?

Discussion in 'R1200RS Tyres/Tires' started by Dejocko, Aug 10, 2017.

1. alain bruneau

alain bruneau Active Member

I am at 11,500 kms on my Michelin PR4. They look like new. I am 67 but I still have some strength in my right wrist.
    I am surprise with these tires. I will certainly go for another set when time comes.

2. lacemi

lacemi Member

Angel Gt is bad wheel, is more better Angel SP and same kms or milles.
    Z8 8.500 kms and rear look bad but front look good.

3. alain bruneau

Just changed the Michelin yesterday at 19,330 kms for another set of the same.
    I love these tires.

4. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

Damn I wish I took pics of mine at 18,500km odd to compare with yours.

I'm sure mine could have made 20,000km before truly being worn but I'm always weary of insurance issues. Even though on the PR4's when the siping channel is run flat they are pretty much on par with most other tyres at that point.

5. alain bruneau

The BMW mechanic told me I would have run another 3000 kms without a problem.

SauRoN likes this.
  6. Phillo

Phillo Active Member

Obviously something wrong with my right wrist..10,000 / 11,000 km max and tyres are toast :)

Jim Evans and ray2 like this.
  7. alain bruneau

The longevity of my tires increase with my age. It doesn't seem to happen with you :)

8. Phillo

Phillo Active Member

What can I say..the older I get the faster I was :) but seriously I ride I would say " briskly " most of the time and seldom like a let loose loony but there is no way I get more than 10/11 k

Jim Evans and alain bruneau like this.
  9. Allan_MV

Allan_MV Member

A brief tyre history for me.

2013 Euro Trip. MV F4 312RR Rear Roadsport 2. 1150 miles = toast
    2014 Euro Trip. Speed Triple 1050 Rear Michelin Pilot Power. 3350 miles = toast
    2016 Euro Trip. MV F4RR Rear Pirelli Rosso 3. 2300 miles = almost toast
    2017 UK & Euro trips. BMW R1200RS. Michelin PR4. Rear 3950 miles = toast. New rear fitted with old front remaining. Now on 6200 miles in total. New rear has done 2250 miles and looksok. Front does not look great but seems fine.

So it looks like 4000 miles is about it for me. 60yrs old ride like a wanker on every bike. About 250lbs fat old git.

Jim Evans, carsten and ray2 like this.
  10. Stef

Stef Active Member

It's simple: If you live in USA or Canada, you can get more than 10.000 km out of a rear tyre. If you live in Europe and get seduced by mountain ranges like Alps, Dolomites, Appenines, Pyrenees, and whatever you have on the British Isles, you will not get more than 10.000 out of them. But you have lots of fun...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    alain bruneau likes this.
  11. darrell

darrell Well-Known Member Contributor

Here is the information I sent Dunlop Marketing on their Roadsmart III tires. Many of the miles were in the Rocky Mountains.

Dunlop Roadsmart III Tire Information (Set 1)
    Motorcycle - BMW 2016 R1200RS
    Darrell Penning Recording Data

Tread depth is measured in 4 spots in each of 3 areas around the tire in the order of 1” from left sidewall, center, and 1” from right sidewall. Depths listed may be slightly more the number listed but less than the whole number above the listed number.

Tire pressures are check and adjusted if necessary every 2 days regardless of miles rode. Pressures are checked in the morning before riding so tires are cold. Pressures are maintained at psi 38 front and 42 rear. Using a calibrated dial gauge for pressure checks.

———————————————————

SUMMARY

The Dunlop Roadsmart III are the best tires I have had on the RS. The turn in on corners/curves is the quickest. There was no indication of a flattening of the tread on the rear tire or any cupping on the front tire until 4800 - 5500 mile mark and then minor in nature. They were flawless in the rain. I believe the Dunlop has a stiffer sidewall and has something to do with the surer road surface contact. It has a rounder profile than the Michelin PR4. I never felt these tires losing road contact or drifting slightly in the corners. Tar snakes even in 90 degree weather did not bother these tires. My initial impressions were these tires would be near the TWI before 6000 miles but I was very surprised as they are likely 9500 - 10,000 mile tires based on my riding style. If I was not leaving on another long ride I would feel comfortable riding with these tires another 1000 - 1500 miles. Both the front and rear tires are nearing the center Tread Wear Indicators (TWI). Once the Dunlop's were installed I could immediately recognize the difference in handling on the motorcycle. There was that much of a difference.

———————————————————

Information on Tires Used on RS as of 9/14/17

MILEAGE WHEN INSTALLED, BRAND, MODEL, (MILEAGE WHEN REMOVED)

0000 miles - Metzeler Roadtec Z8 (7735)
    7735 miles - Metzeler Roadtec 01 (3990) (a)
    11725 miles - Michelin PR4 GT (11,063)
    22788 miles - Michelin PR4 GT (6302)
    29090 miles - Michelin PR4 GT (7879)
    36969 miles - Dunlop Roadsmart III (8357)
    45326 miles - Dunlop Roadsmart III
    (a) tires removed before trip, could reinstall

———————————————————

Collection of Tire Information

August 2, 2017
    Installed new tires at Moon Motorsports in Monticello, MN, a Dunlop Pro Dealer
    Mileage at 36,946
    Front - 5.0 mm, 5.0 mm, 5.0 mm
    Rear - 8.0 mm, 9.0 mm, 8.0 mm

August 7, 2017
    Mileage at 38,086 - Dillion, CO
    1150 miles on tires
    Front - 5.0 mm, 4.0 mm, 5.0 mm
    Rear - 8.0 mm, 7.0 mm, 8.0 mm
    Road conditions - generally flat the initial 800 miles on roads of well worn black top and concrete surfaces. No interstate highways. Remainder of miles on mountain roads in Colorado with lots of sweeping curves.
    Speeds - generally in the 60 and low 70 range during initial 800 miles and 40 - 60 mph the remainder miles.
    Temperature/Weather - ranged from 44 to 78 with the majority of the time in the high 60's. About 100 miles of wet roads due to drizzle and about 60 miles of heavy rain.

August 11, 2017
    Mileage at 39037 - Monte Vista, CO
    2091 miles on tires
    Front - 5.0 mm, 4.0 mm, 5.0 mm
    Rear - 8.0 mm, 6.0 mm, 8.0 mm
    Road conditions - all miles in the Rocky Mountains on roads that are in excellent condition with most miles on well worn surfaces. Several mountain passes were crossed but for the most part sweeping curves vs tight corners.
    Speeds - range from 35 to 70 but generally in the mid 60's.
    Temperature/Weather - ranged from 42 to 75 with majority of time in the 60's. Another 150 miles of rain; some heavy, with the remainder of the miles on dry roads.

Darrell's Initial Impressions after 2000 miles
    1. No slippage on tar snakes like Michelin Pilot Road 4 can exhibit
    2. Roadsmart III may have a stiffer sidewall then PR4 resulting is surer road contact
    3. Flawless in the rain as far as grip to road surface and tracking
    4. No observed flatness of thread as tires remain round across surface
    5. Average speed today's is 50.1 mph
    6. Note - I have used around 12 sets of PR4 tires on both my 99 K1200RS and R1150GS Adventures as well as 3 sets on this R1200RS.
    August 16, 2017
    Mileage at 40129 - Moab, UT
    3183 miles on tires
    Front - 5.0 mm, 3.0 mm, 5.0 mm
    Rear - 7.0 mm, 5.0 mm, 7.0 mm
    Road conditions - all miles in mountainous areas of Colorado and a small area of eastern Utah. About 200 miles was on recently seal coated roads so likely more aggressive on tires. All other miles on black top well worn road surface. All the roads had general large sweeping curves vs tight switch back corner.
    Speeds - ranged from 40 - 75 but generally in the mid 60's.
    Temperature/Weather - ranged for 48 - 94 degrees with most of the time averaging in the low 70's. No wet roads or rain during the last 5 days.

Darrell's comment on front tire wear. The wear may be a result of the engine braking using the Gear Shift Assist to slow down with infrequently use of the brakes to slow down for curves or stops.

August 20, 2017
    Mileage at 41016 - Beaver, UT
    4070 miles on tires
    Front - 5.0 mm, 3.0 mm, 5.0 mm
    Rear - 7.0 mm, 4.0 mm, 7.0 mm
    Road conditions - all miles in Southern Utah. About 400 miles of new asphalt which had an aggressive surface. Remainder of miles on worn asphalt and a few miles on concrete road surface on interstate highway. Most miles were on long sweeping curves, some shorter straight stretches between these curves and 50 miles of flat interstate.
    Speeds - overall the highest speeds I've run these tires. Ranges from the 62 - 80 mph. Average speed since initial install has been 49.2 mph.
    Temperature/Weather - ranged from 58 - 94 degrees with average probably in the lower 80's. No rain during the 4 days.

August 25, 2017
    Mileage at 42207 - Steamboat Springs, CO
    5261 miles on tires
    Front - 4.0 mm, 2.0 mm, 4.0 mm
    Rear - 6.0 mm, 4.0 mm, 6.0 mm
    Road conditions - 900 miles in Utah and 300 in WY and CO. About 50% of the miles were on newer paved asphalt, about 120 miles were on interstate highways, most curves were longer sweeping curves with about 150 of the miles on tighter curved corners.
    Speeds - ranges between 60 - 80 mph. The 150 miles of tighter curves was probably in the 30 - 40 mph range
    Temperature/Weather - ranges from 55 - 96 with an average in the lower 80's. About 30 miles of rain in these miles.

Darrell's comments on tires - these tires remain the best handling tires I've had on the bike for both straight line travel and in the corners. At about 4800 miles the front tire begun to show some cupping on the left side but remains minor at 5200 miles. The rear tire is beginning to show a less rounded profile than when new but not seeing any sharp edges between the center and sides. I attribute this more to the type of curvy roads I'm riding on than what I might experience if riding in the Midwest where the roads have less curves on them. On 7 occasions in the past 21 days I have added about a half pound of air to keep the pressures at 38 and 42. Most of this probably is a result of my checking the pressure every other day and the tiny bit of air that escapes each time. Also increased altitude is adding some pressure to the tires vs riding in the central plains where 1000 ft above sea level is common. I’ve had these tires as high as 14,230 ft in altitude.

September 1, 2017 - Prior Lake, MN
    Mileage at 43377
    6431 miles on tires
    Rear - 6.0 mm, 3.0 mm, 6.0 mm
    Road conditions - 300 miles in Colorado on mostly curvy roads all on well worn asphalt, remaining 700 miles on the plains of the central US so generally flat and on well worn pavement and 200 miles of interstate highways.
    Speeds - the last 900 miles were speeds of 65 - 90 mph with most miles in the mid to high 70 mph
    Temperatures - ranges from 70 - 95 the final 900 miles

September 14, 2017 - Monticello, MN (tires removed and new Dunlop Roadsmart III installed)
    Mileage at 45326
    8357 miles on tires
    Rear - 5.0 mm, 2.0 mm, 5.0 mm
    Road conditions - all miles in Minnesota and Wisconsin on 60% flatter and 40% curvy roads. All miles on dry asphalt.
    Speeds - ranged from 45 - 70 with most miles in the 55 mph range
    Temperatures - ranged from 55 - 90 with average in the low 70’s

Grumpy Goat and alain bruneau like this.
  12. alain bruneau

Very good information, very detailed. I was thinking of putting on the Dunlop but I was quite impressed with the Michelin life span.
    With this information, I think I would give a shot at the Dunlop on the next tire change.

13. darrell

darrell Well-Known Member Contributor

As well they are about $100 a pair cheaper than the Michelin Pilot Road 4; at least in the US and check the Dunlop websites for rebates. On the 2 pair I have bought at about $100 less I also got debit cards mailed to me for $60 and $100 so big savings. Also find a Dunlop Pro dealer as they likely are cheaper than even on line prices.

14. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

Well, a little oversimplification. I mean, I can't believe you referred to the Alps and the British Isles in the same sentence (no offense intended toward Scotland and Wales and the North).

I still think the biggest factor to come out of the posts on this forum have been the way folks use the right hand and wrist.

For many of us, FUN is inversely proportion to tire mileage - no matter what the terrain.

I live between the Ozark mountains to my south - home to some of the best maintained, twisting asphalt in the world; and the great prairie to the north (and east and west). My tires wear out in the same mileage no matter which direction I head. The only thing the twisties do is keep the profile a little rounder for a little longer. The flatlands usually show up in the flattened crown on the rear tire. Either way, I get about 10,000 km out of a pair.

You do raise the question of a general difference in quality of asphalt between here and many parts of Europe. I haven't seen a big difference, but maybe @MrVvrroomm, who spends more time riding both continents has an opinion.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    Bub, Grumpy Goat and darrell like this.
  15. carsten

carsten New Member

seems it`s just the way how you/we ride the bikes;)
    I´m always on roads where there`s often no longer straights than a few Km`s
    which is no hard work in the area I live.
    and I do love pushing hard out of every corner
    not really the way to saving rubbers but heyho..... :)

Phillo likes this.
  16. Jim Evans

Jim Evans Well-Known Member

I live in Canada and haven't managed over 10,000 km on the last three sets. It depends on the quality of the road surface, I'm sure. Our roads in the Maritimes are terrible (off the freeways, anyway). I just fitted my second PR4: it was done at 10,000 but there was plenty of warning and at least the cords didn't suddenly appear like the 2 Metzelers I had before ( one on my RT, one OEM on the RS).

17. alain bruneau

I agree with you. It is a combination of how you twist the trottle and the quality of the surface.
    I live in Quebec which have terrible roads but I am 30 kms from Ontario which has high quality roads. Most of my riding is done there , in Vermont and NH. In 2014, with my Ducati Monster 1200, I did 8,000 kms out of the Pirelli Diablo Rosso. So for me, I guess the Michelin PR4 have a serious advantage.

18. alain bruneau

On my next set in 15,000 kms , I will try the Dunlop Roadsmart lll , maybe IV in the Spring of 2018. I am hearing good things locally about this tire. Great handling, good life span, good grip in the wet surface. And cheaper than the big name Michelin.

19. stuart2820

stuart2820 Active Member

Just put a set of Metzeler 01's on today. Interestingly when I asked about maybe trying the Dunlop Road smart III's, the manager said go with the Metzeler's.
    He said he has a load of the Dunlop's he can't shift and did acknowledge he's not helping himself by advising otherwise.
    Anecdotally he said the police don't like them, as apparently have others.
    He wouldn't bullshit me so I found that a little surprising considering the positive reviews.
    Certainly made my purchase decision a lot easier!

20. alain bruneau

Did he said for what reason he is not moving the Dunlop and why the police don't like them ?
    According to the reviews, that is a very good tire for the bucks.