No customization options are available.

Houston Texas

Discussion in 'USA Southwest Riders' started by KOCook, Aug 3, 2015.

1. KOCook

KOCook Active Member

Howdy. Anyone else in Houston?

2. Piperman

Piperman Member

Sorry San Antonio here.

3. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

I am in Houston and got my bike only last Saturday.

4. KOCook

KOCook Active Member

Photos? Riding focus?
    First BMW was 1974 R90/6, bought new. Sport riding focus, although have made runs across western part of US (Mississippi River to Left Coast) several times. BMW Riders Association member, serve on the Board of Trustees, and have been a contributor to OTL magazine for years. Lead instructor (means I do all the admin stuff) at Lone Star Track Days (LSTD.com). This is all volunteer work just to advance rider skills and with that, safety.

OKBMW and Grumpy Goat like this.
  5. Piperman

Piperman Member

Kent what track were y'all at?

6. KOCook

KOCook Active Member

Texas World Speedway

If you want to watch motorcycle racing, check out the CMRA website. Last race of the season is Halloween weekend at MSR Houston. LSTD will not be running the practice on Friday, but I may drop by to cheer on my fellow instructors who will be racing on Saturday & Sunday.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
    Piperman likes this.
  7. Piperman

Piperman Member

Nice, I wish I had been able to get out there.

8. Grumpy Goat

Well these bikes are still RARE in these parts. Went to Team Mancuso Powersports Southwest and they still don't have another one. They have 3 S1000XRs and other bikes but no R1200Rs or R1200RSs. My salesman said that he had a customer come in asking about an RS but he had none to show him since the only one they got is mine. ;)

After leaving the dealership I was stopped at a traffic light and a pickup truck was stopped in the adjacent lane to my left and slightly ahead. In looking around I happened to notice that the driver was raised up and leaved over his passenger and giving me an insistent "thumbs up" from inside the cab. I gave him a thumbs up and head nod of acknowledgement and wondered if he actually knew what he was admiring or if he thought it was an S1000RR ... :) I even had my [dorky? but wonderfully functional] Givi 47N top box on at the time.

I also went to Wild West Motoplex today (for the third and final time) to see what they had. They had an R1200R but no RS or XRs. The reason I will no longer be wasting my time there is the fact that in all 3 occasions not one salesperson came up to me and introduced themselves and offered any assistance. That cost them then sale of the motorcycle in the first place, since the reception at Mancuso was exactly the opposite. Different class of people at Mancuso is probably the reason.

So it might just be me and Kent in this area with RSs ....

9. buelligan

buelligan Member

Grumpy,
    Looks like I may be out in Houston for a class in April. (work related)
    I think I will bring the bike down with me, and try to get in a few evening rides, weather permitting ;-)
    I would enjoy meeting, and perhaps having a cold beverage or two with you Texans.

10. Grumpy Goat

Sure. Let me know when you are in Houston and we can meet up.

11. wannabebeamer

wannabebeamer Member

One more from Houston !!

Grumpy Goat likes this.
  12. Grumpy Goat

Awright .... :)

wannabebeamer likes this.
  13. wannabebeamer

wannabebeamer Member

Spotted a Lupin Blue 1200 RS West of Houston - on FM1093NEAR Flushear this morning. Any forum members??

14. stageraider

stageraider New Member

Wannabebeamer, if the rider was wearing a high visibility jacket, it was probably me. I live in Katy and was out riding on Sunday in the Fulshear/Belville area. Recently replaced my 2013 K1300S, which I thought was a great machine, and I am totally delighted with the R1200RS!

15. stageraider

stageraider New Member

Katy, TX

16. wannabebeamer

wannabebeamer Member

Great! Yes must've been you. I live in Katy as well...the 1200 RS is my first "big bike". Throughly enjoying her so far... whice dealer did you get yours from?

17. stageraider

stageraider New Member

I bought mine from Wild West Motorplex. They are a good and fair dealer. They have an excellent service technician for BMWs although the wait for service appointments can be two or three weeks. I am hoping their new expansion project will add another BMW technician.

18. KOCook

KOCook Active Member

Heads Up Texas R1200RS Riders. Lone Star Track Days will have a two, two-day weekend events this year. The first is at Cresson on May 14th & 15th, the second is at Texas World Speedway on June 4th & 5th. The weekend events include a Beginner Course for an additional $50 which is meant for those new to the track and is perfect for most street riders wanting to get solid advice on developing their foundation skills at realistic speeds. The target student to riding coach ratio is 2:1, and there will be classroom sessions between each track session. With three groups with differing passing rules based on levels of skill (beginners, intermediate, advanced); each gets 20 minute track sessions per hour, followed by 40 mins of instruction/downtime. So you will have ample time with your coach and in the classroom.
    Your RS will be more than capable of handling the event.
    http://curvecowboy.com/bmwra/201512_OTL_NovDec_RSReview02.pdf

Lone Star Track Days useful links.
    LSTD : http://www.lstd.com/
    Personal/Bike Prep : http://www.lstd.com/html/requirements.html
    Schedule for the Day : http://www.lstd.com/html/dayof.html

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  19. Grumpy Goat

Went to BMW Motorcycles of the Woodlands today and saw 2 other RSs with riders! I was starting to think that whoeve is buying these bikes are hiding! :)

Met one of them (Matt) who had his Granite Grey for a couple of months now and we had a nice chat; nice chap. The other rider (on a Lupin Blue) appeared to be going on some sort of test ride with another rider on an R1200R. Then the (only) salesman that approached me today (a Scot) also has an RS and he and I also had a nice albeit brief chat. Lots of larger land barge BMWs there today.

20. KOCook

KOCook Active Member

Reposting as a reminder!
    Heads Up Texas R1200RS Riders. Lone Star Track Days will have a two-day weekend event at Texas World Speedway on June 4th & 5th. Pick a day, or attend both Sat & Sun. Each day includes a Beginner Course for an additional $50 which is meant for those new to the track and is perfect for most street riders wanting to get solid advice on developing their foundation skills at realistic speeds. The target student to riding coach ratio is 2:1, and there will be classroom sessions between each track session. There will be three groups running in separate 20 minute on-track sessions with differing passing rules based on levels of skill (beginners, intermediate, advanced). So you will get 20 minutes of track time per hour, followed by 40 mins of instruction/downtime. So you will have ample time with your coach and in the classroom.

LSTD Registration: http://www.lstd.com/html/sor.html
    LSTD Schools: http://www.lstd.com/html/lstdschool.html
    Requirements: http://www.lstd.com/html/requirements.html
    - Note that a high quality textile suit such as an Aerostich is just fine. But you will need a true full-face helmet with at least a DOT certification. Also, street tires with plenty of tread life (no flat spots). Your RS will be more than capable of handling the event > http://curvecowboy.com/bmwra/201512_OTL_NovDec_RSReview02.pdf
    Day Of Schedule (scroll down to Sat/Sun Events): http://www.lstd.com/html/dayof.html

Let me know if you have questions.

stageraider and Piperman like this.