No customization options are available.

'Hi' From Tennessee

Discussion in 'USA Southeast Riders' started by RSRider, Sep 2, 2015.

1. RSRider

RSRider Member

I'm in Maryville (east TN) about 30 minutes from Deals Gap and happy to be a forum member. Riding the 'Tail of the Dragon' weekly is my fun routine. It's tough work but someone has to do it. :D I'm retired and have three bikes--'16 BMW R1200RS, a '15 Ducati Hypermotard and a '16 BMW S1000XR. If any of you plan a Dragon trip, perhaps we could meet at Deals Gap Resort and ride the awesome twisties hereabout. :) Cheers!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Ben Russo

Ben Russo Active Member

I'll be arriving at Hunt's Lodge in Tellico Plains, TN sometime on Friday October 16th, and riding the Cherehola, Dragon, Fontana Dam, etc.. on Saturday Oct 17th.
    I don't know what time I'll be at the Tail of the Dragon resort on Saturday the 17th, but maybe I'll see you there.
    Do you know Jack Hunt?

Stixx likes this.
  3. RSRider

RSRider Member

I don't know Jack Hunt but I am aware of his cool bike lodge. I'll mark 10/17 on my calendar and hope to see you then. I typically hang out on the front porch at the Deals Gap Resort to watch the bizarre motorsport action. You may know Saturdays and Sundays get crazy with traffic on the Dragon. So, be very watchful of oncoming vehicles IN YOUR LANE (cars, trucks or bikes that have overshot their turn). It happens frequently! I usually run the Dragon on weekdays which is hazardous enough during low traffic. Your trip sounds great. :)

The following Dragon pics from 9-1-15 are to whet your appetite. :D Cheers!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Leon.P. likes this.
  4. sam jones

sam jones New Member

Is that a Remus with header pipe (no cat) installation..? Any performance downside..?

5. RSRider

RSRider Member

It's a Remus with factory BMW header. No downside except initial cost. It works well, looks better IMO and sounds much 'stronger' without being obnoxiously loud.

6. Peter Burridge

Peter Burridge Well-Known Member Contributor

We have the same issue here in the UK around the favourite runs around the 'Dales'. Mid week you see a lot of greybeards out when there's a lot less chance of meeting another bike on your side of the road.

I'm not retired yet (just got married and bought a house when I would normally be thinking of retiring) but I work night shifts so I get out midweek too.

An overview of the RS compared to the Duke and XR on Deals gap would be interesting.

Peter

7. RSRider

RSRider Member

I can't help with the Duke but I can tell you that on the low-speed-but-intense 318 curves of the 'Dragon', the Hypermotard is nearly untouchable, threatened mainly by other motards. Sooo nimble with excellent torque! :D The Duc motard can slip away from the knee-dragging, hot dog sportbikes it encounters on the Dragon (so far :p). Most locals agree that motards are the quickest ride through Deals Gap.

17" wheels help the XR account for itself VERY well in handling (braking and stability are great too)--XR horsepower is not much of a factor on the tight Dragon. The RS does surprisingly well also but it seems slower to respond to steering inputs than the XR. Steering geometry perhaps? The heavier BMW's require much more muscle than a sportbike to hustle quickly through switchbacks and decreasing radius turns but, in skilled hands, both can hang tough and surprise a mediocre sportbike rider. :) My $.02.

Stixx and Peter Burridge like this.
  8. Peter Burridge

Peter Burridge Well-Known Member Contributor

Yep my Duke is your Duc :) Thanks.

RSRider likes this.
  9. Spiky

Spiky Well-Known Member

Those crazy Poms...

10. Stixx

Stixx Active Member

Takes me about roughly 3 hours to get to Deals gap and a bit more going long way home to ride down 28 to war woman road and then slab it back to Tucker GA.
    That is about a 350 mile loop for me from house to house but I do the Cherahola first and then only the dragon if I'm up on a weekday. Not worth getting in trouble on the weekend for me and they shoot photos on weekdays now so that is about the only reason I'd do the dragon anyway. I love the sweepers and so does "Blue Belle" and to your point the slower steering of the RS is just too much work for my antique shoulders to do on a 300 mile loop. LOL 1308390.jpeg 1308389.jpeg

11. Stixx

Stixx Active Member

I love this shot . You might have to click on the icon to get it to open for some reason. LOL

Attached Files:

12. Charles

Charles Active Member

How do you like your lights? I just ordered the Clearwater Dala's with the fork mount. Plus looking at the shield how is it working out. I get a lot of buffering at highway speeds and I am 5'10".

13. Stixx

Stixx Active Member

To answer your first question , I do like the lights. I also have their flashing brake light and using their new Can Opener technology I particularly like that you control the lights both function of the tail and running lights using the wheel on the bars and using the BMW system for controlling all the functions of the lights. You can control the brightness of the lights in 20 % increments and have them flash 100 % when you flash to pass using the switch gear already on the bike. You can also program the lights again using the paddle wheel , to flash when you press the horn button . The program is a bit voo doo technology and is confusing as hell but careful reading of the instructions does eventually sink in and you can really customize the lights to function how you prefer .

Now as to the windscreen, as you know it is personal . I have found the vario mra to be ideal for my 5' 9" frame and position and have zero buffeting and much much lower noise from the wind. Were it about two inches taller it would be completely silent . I have it mounted in the high position on the bike and raised to the high position and the spoiler in the next to highest click there seems to be no issues and as you can see by the pics i can wear my Arai XD 4 dual sport lid with no problem of air interference or turbulence. That settled it for me . I also bought the other dark screen that has been discussed on here (forget the name) and it was pretty much a wash as it did nothing to improve anything except it looked cool . I still have it and might use it if I ever showed the bike (not likely) at a club event.

One caveat on the MRA vario screen is the hardware mounting system for it was lame compared to the OEM and other screeen which utilized the OEM hardware. I would not be surprised if someday it fails or cracks around the screw fittings as there is zero rubber bushing in the design. So far there have been no issues , but I know from experience that is a possibility over time

14. Charles

Charles Active Member

Thanks for all the info. I am from Knoxville and now live in Virginia. Same type curvy back roads. Really want that extra lights at night. If you are ever in Knoxville please stop by my families restaurant. Litton's Restaurant off Broadway in Fountain City.