No customization options are available.

Hi all for another Downunder

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Gary Rose, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Gary Rose

Gary Rose Member

Taking the first steps towards buying a RS - selling the Triumph Explorer and R1200S to finance the purchase of a shiny new SE. I have been checking around this site and found it very informative. Plenty of tinkering happening.
    I had a second test ride yesterday, mostly along motorway conditions, and have to say it is a very easy bike to ride. Plenty of get up and go, particularly in Dynamic, and certainly has that flat twin character. This will be my third flat twin Beemer after a R1100S and my current R1200S.
    If all goes well, I hope to be placing my order in time for a February delivery and look forward to adding to the discussion from a first person perspective.

Leon.P. and Andy Griffiths like this.
  2. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

Gary,
    Your evolutionary path to biking nirvana is the same as mine. I had 2 x 1100S separated by a K1200S. The second 1100 was replaced by a 1200S which was sold to buy the RS. Now, by any chance is there an R1100RS in your past or a K1100RS ?

BTW - the RS is the next logical step and if you liked the 11 and 12s you will love it. Much friendlier riding position than the 1200, it has to be said, less vibes and more grunt.

3. Peter Burridge

Peter Burridge Well-Known Member Contributor

Welcome Gary. I've always fancied the R1200S myself and wonder how the RS compares.

4. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

Ditto. The RS is a wonderful bike. I have had 2 particular bikes I have really loved. The TRX 850 Yamaha (5 years) and the R1100S (15 years).
    I hd looked at the ST and the R1200S but my S was too good IMO.
    The RS is revelation. It is a generational difference. It is the 2nd most powerful bike I have owned and it is also the fastest. It is the full package.

Leon.P. and Peter Burridge like this.
  5. Gary Rose

Gary Rose Member

Thanks guys,

Andy,

No, not an 1100RS but there were two K1200RS's in the mix - a series 1 and a series 2, if you wish. I lived in the UK for 3.5 years and bought the first 1998 'taxi' K in 2002 which in turn was replaced by the second newer black 2002 in 2004. Swapped that first K for a mandarin R1100S so had both. When visiting back to Oz I had my first R1100S as the local hack.
    All previous bikes to the Beemers were Yamaha for the most part, the last being a FJ1100.

Peter,

My S is not exactly stock - full Remus and aftermarket black box, with the wide wheel and Ohlins, so a little difficult to compare. The S tends to go crazy when it hits 5500rpm and I couldn't do that on 22km old demo in all honesty. But I have to say the RS is a lot smoother than the older motor and I'm finding the riding position more comfortable, even with the Veholen bar backs on the S.

AI,

The difference between the 1100S and 1200S was manifold and really polarised the 1100S crowd. Some didn't get the all-round sport tourer they wanted as a replacement, others got a worthy successor. Horses for courses, et al. But I really liked it and when I did a back to back test ride with a K1200S it stuck in my mind. I didn't gel with the K at all. But the 1100S stayed on a while longer.
    The TRX850. Underestimated by many and something a little left field from a mainstream manufacturer. I wonder where that would have led if they continued developing that idea. The MT series?

6. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

Gary,

Some real similarities there !
    I had a FJ1200 1987, after drooling over the FJ1100 and loved to to bits, absolutely superb bike.
    Followed by K100RS 16v, again brilliant bike and now a K1100RS as a long term classic keeper - because the 100RS was so good.
    They probably have both of our 'types' on the wall in Bavaria as likely customers when designing and marketing bikes.
    Enjoy the RS

7. Leon.P.

Leon.P. Well-Known Member

Welcome and enjoy Gary.:)

8. Peter Burridge

Peter Burridge Well-Known Member Contributor