No customization options are available.

Help with routes in Netherland

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Graham Lewis, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Graham Lewis

Graham Lewis Active Member Contributor

Hi

I am going with three friends across to Assen end of September for the BSB and the first day we will be travelling from Ijmuiden to Paping near Ommen, looking for a recommendation for a good route to get there which has some good roads. then we have a spare day at Paping and I am looking for a day's ride out that will be fun and full of winding bends!!

Help please

thanks Graham

2. Scorch

Scorch Well-Known Member

Winding roads?
    I think most recommendations will be to find another country to ride in... ;)

boxerboy likes this.
  3. Graham Lewis

hoping local knowledge will find some great roads that others have missed!!

4. Robert the Brews

Robert the Brews Member

IJmuiden to Ommen.png
    Graham

May be this is what you are looking for! The route is easily reproducible on your own PC ( https://www.viamichelin.co.uk/ ).

Take care when you ride your R1200RS in Holland. We have more than 450 speed cameras here. And the penalties are very high (riding with 115 km/h. on a 80 km. road: ~ €250,- !!). So keep the speed camera database of your Garmin/TomTom/Navigator up-to-date!

Have a nice vacation next month!

Robert

(Living in Amsterdam I cannot help you with a daytrip in the north-east of Holland).

Graham Lewis likes this.
  5. GordonH

GordonH Well-Known Member

Suggest you go over the top via the afsluiting dijk via Gronigen, rather than across via Utrecht. Much more interesting (good views from the observation point half way across) and less busy.

Area around Assen is very nice, quite rural, lots of stables and stud farms.........nice country roads and lanes but not so twisty and pretty well no elevation changes (motorway flyovers being the only exceptions). Nice to bimble around and stop at a village for a pancake, coffee and cake or a beer......but you won't stretch your RS handling capabilities!

Graham Lewis likes this.
  6. Graham Lewis

Thanks Robert that is similar to the one I got from Michelen but with improvements so appreciate your help. we are staying one night in Amsterdam on the way back so will be riding in on Monday 2nd October staying at Pension Homeland, maybe bike or cycle round Amsterdam the following day.

Is it ok to use safety camera database on your garmin in Holland as illegal in France I think?

7. Graham Lewis

Thanks seems that we can just bimble around Assen and surrounding area on the full day of biking

Graham

8. Robert the Brews

Robert the Brews Member

Graham,

Using a GPS-system with a safety camera database is allowed in Holland; the use of active detection devices (like radar/laser detection) however is forbidden!

Pension Homeland is situated on a former Navy Base (more than 350 years!!). Right in the middle of Amsterdam, and not far from some very good beer pubs (I can give you a database (!!) of beer pubs on request).

Last-but-not-least: this site ( http://www.motoeren.nl/index.php/routes/noord-west-nederland ), unfortunately for you only in Dutch :(, contains 5 nice routes around Amsterdam. Fortunately each route has a routemap :) and you can download the routes in GPX.

Robert

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    Graham Lewis likes this.
  9. Mquaedflieg

Mquaedflieg Member

To have nice roads in NL you have to go to the ultimate south in between Maastricht and Vaals, the province is called (Zuid) Limburg (30 min away from the infamous Eifel in Germany, where every weekend a motobiker dies, due to the challenging curvy roads and altitude differences).
    I am once a week in this German bikers heaven. I could be your guide if you want.

Graham Lewis likes this.
  10. Mr. 36654

Mr. 36654 Well-Known Member

Did that say over 5hrs to travel 146miles?..

11. Graham Lewis

yup, very slow roads or very windy though we have plenty of time

12. Graham Lewis

Thank you, I know Eifel as go to south east belgium each year and ride the roads there and into Germany, such great roads.

How long would it take to get down from Ommen to the Limburg and then do a great route and then back again, could it be done in a day without it being manic

Graham

13. Graham Lewis

Hi again

I have a route that appears to go through National Park de Hoge Verluwe. the route I set up on Basecamp just sends me back to the main road rather than going through from West to East. Can I ride through as there seems a good art museum and might be a nice ride than going back and around. Thanks in advance

14. Robert the Brews

Robert the Brews Member

Graham,
    The art museum is the Kröller-Müller Museum ( https://krollermuller.nl/visit ) which is part of the National Park "de Hoge Veluwe"!! You can go through the National Park from west to east! :) ............. But only on a bicycle or walking :mad:

Robert

15. Graham Lewis

thanks Robert appreciate your help.

So we can visit but then go back and around, may do the museum at Arnhem on the day after the BSB on our ride back to Amsterdam. Got 2 routes now to choose from for the spare day before the BSB at Assen

Graham

Robert the Brews likes this.
: netherland