No customization options are available.

Help needed.. Someone in Munich?

Discussion in 'European Riders' started by Mudassir Shaikhji, May 2, 2017.

1. Mudassir Shaikhji

Mudassir Shaikhji New Member

Hello All,

I would really appreciate if somebody in Munich is willing to help. The handling of my bike is completely screwed after my ride from Croatia (got stuck in the snowstorm in the Alps on my way back). I would be taking it to the service center anyways, but it's too scary to ride even for few kms. Moreover, I have literally zero technical expertise to sort this out on my own. Any help will be highly appreciated.

TIY,
    Mudassir Shaikhji

2. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

I think to get any help you may need to confirm a few things.
    What is wrong with the handling?
    How many miles now on current set of tyres and what pressures are they set at?
    What model RS - tyre pressure monitor/esa settings if fitted?
    Any changes to bike, suspension settings?
    One thread did mention esa bikes where the link arm (behind gear change/above swing arm) which sets the suspension and had become detached. This tie rod is vertical and adapts the suspension.
    Any alarms or dashboard warnings?
    Have you done a physical check round the bike?
    Anything loose and are both wheels spinning straight (assume you have a centre stand)
    Update with any checks you have made and you may have more chance.
    We have a UK 2 year warranty and if I felt bike was unsafe to ride I would call my dealership or bmw emergency breakdown but they will probably need some of the above questions answered before they could make any decision.

3. Mudassir Shaikhji

Hello Dave,

Thank you very much for taking your time and replying. Please find my observations for your queries.

What is wrong with the handling? - Bike doesn't seem to follow a straight line. I feel the rear tire skidding a bit.
    How many miles now on current set of tyres and what pressures are they set at? I have done about 8000 kms in just over a year. Tire pressure set at 2.6 at the front and 2.8 at the rear (recommeded pressure being 2.5 in front and 2.9 rear for a single rider)
    What model RS - tyre pressure monitor/esa settings if fitted? - It's a 2016 model, with D-ESA.
    Any changes to bike, suspension settings? - I have been running on the same setting, no changes.
    One thread did mention esa bikes where the link arm (behind gear change/above swing arm) which sets the suspension and had become detached. This tie rod is vertical and adapts the suspension. - I definitely need to check this out.
    Any alarms or dashboard warnings? - I did not see any. I will check it thoroughly tomorrow.
    Have you done a physical check round the bike? - Yes, i did and could find anything out of place.
    Anything loose and are both wheels spinning straight (assume you have a centre stand) - will check this out tomorrow.

I will check out few things which you have mentioned. In case I don't find anything, I will have to call up BMW service and ask for help.

Cheers,
    Mudassir

4. Stef

Stef Active Member

Why not just call BMW assistance??

Are you sure tire pressure is measured correctly? Small DIY pressure gauges often have a considerable deviation in measured value.

5. Mudassir Shaikhji

Hello Stef,

I read the tire pressure values from the the on board computer. Just to verify, I will refill and check again. If that doesn't work, I will call the BMW assistance.

BR,
    Mudassir

6. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

At those miles maybe you have a worn/flat around the centre and I know my old R1200 would seem to 'skip' at the back over cats eyes or overbanding/road repairs. I know I try to avoid cobble stones and tram/railway lines when riding on the wrong side of the road(Europe!)
    I would also run the bike through all 3 settings / solo/solo with bags/ two up to check it is resetting to a basic on each run.
    Your reply
    Any changes to bike, suspension settings? - I have been running on the same setting, no changes.

The owners manual does recommend a run through after 3 to 4 tanks fills of fuel of the esa options.
    I found the tpm tyre pressures to be quite accurate to my digital check and a 2.5 /2.9 cold could go to 2.6 / 3.0 on a warm day. Maybe the rear has been a little low and has worn around the centre if the bike was loaded and you had plenty of straight road use.

7. Mudassir Shaikhji

Hello Dave,

In miles, I have just done about 4500. That is very low mileage for a tire, in case it's worn out. I will definitely try out your suggestions and check/post the response.

BR,
    Mudassir

8. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

A common reason that a motorcycle does not follow a straight line could be damaged steering head bearings. In the past I have owned two new BMWs that had damaged steering bearings because they were not greased at the factory. When the dealer discovered this, I received new bearings via the factory warranty. A wheel bearing might also be failing - which would be quite a safety hazard if ridden and it failed.

folagana likes this.
  9. Mudassir Shaikhji

Hello Richard,

I haven't faced anything like before. Also, this is my first BMW. I previously had cbr 25or, which did not have any issues until I had it. Hopefully nothing major. Also, being a novice to big motorcycles doesn't help :(

10. folagana

folagana Well-Known Member Contributor

As Richard said it could be the steering head bearing and also the rear wheel bearing. You could check it putting the bike on the center stand and try to move the rear / front wheel by hand.

11. Dave W

Dave W Active Member

If it is too dangerous to ride, just call BMW assistance and get them to sort it.

12. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

And be sure to let us know what the problem was when your bike is repaired, just in case someone else encounters the same issue.

13. Mudassir Shaikhji

Well, i can now confirm something is wrong with the rear tire or entire rear end. Kept the bike on center stand, and I see that tire is not moving smoothly. There is some noise and even the motion is jerky.

Since my German is not good enough, I won't be able to explain the situation properly over the phone. No choice but to go to my BMW dealer and explain them the situation. Will do that first thing tomorrow.

14. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

If the bike is in neutral and the wheel is off the floor, then something is interfering with the rotation of the wheel.
    The most simple explanation is the rear brake - pads against disc or warped disc.

15. Dave W

Dave W Active Member

If your English is good enough, they will most likely also speak English. You wont know until you call them.

16. Mudassir Shaikhji

True that. I will give it a try.

17. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

Without moving (rotating) the wheel is it solidly mounted to the carrier? You do not need a torque wrench, just a torx socket, to confirm the 5 wheel-mounting bolts are tight. You will know straight away if they are loose, have a look around the rear carrier for the brake, as advised.
    If you can see it is not rotating smoothly, rather than hear it, it does sound mounting related, as usual it could be "lost in the translation"
    From your description it could be internal bevel drive or rear carrier but if you have any safety concerns I would call bmw emergency assist. Better to be wrong and safe than to take any risk.

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  18. Mudassir Shaikhji

Hello Dave,

I will try what you have suggested. But i will call BMW service anyways. Better safe than sorry right.

RonS and Richard230 like this.
  19. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

Any updates? Any response from bmw services?

20. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

I have been waiting for an update on this one, as I can't think of any condition that would not be immediately identifiable to explain the condition of "the rear tire skidding a bit".
    I know when I was knocked off the 1998 "S", the bike was bent, and it was written off with little cosmetic damage. Is it possible that some driver damaged your bike when parked, and bent something?
    Can you "string line" the wheels and confirm they are aligned?
    Otherwise, if you have the bike on the centre stand with the rear wheel clear, do you get any side to side movement with vigorous pulling back forth (side to side) at the rear of the tyre (keeping a finger of the other hand on the swing arm / frame? If you can, you may have a problem with the pivot on the swing arm.
    Can you grasp the rear wheel top and bottom, and then front and back and feel any movement with firm pressure to push / pull the wheel out of alignment? If so, could be the bearings in the drive (but I would think if this happened you would have other indications).
    Can you get the front wheel free of the ground, and do the forks move smoothly and without restriction lock to lock? If there is notchiness, the head bearings may be your problem. It could also be some malfunction in the steering damper.
    With the front wheel off the ground, and a friend available to you, can you have your friend push and pull the forks fore and aft, and see if you can feel movement in the assembly, or maybe hear some noise. It also helps if you can get your finger right onto the holding down / adjustment nuts at the top of the steering stem to see if you have any movement (very little movement can be felt). If that is the case, the steering head bearing may need adjustment.
    Quite frankly, unless there is something really odd and obvious (like mounting bolts loose or missing) I can't see a reason for the problem short of something being "bent".
    Having damaged a cast wheel very badly, I know that even with a big "dent" in it, the bike (XS 750 E) still rode ok, but it obviously needed fixing. So, I don't think even if you wheel was no longer rotating true it would give you that symptom. But while you are at it, spin each wheel holding a pencil braced against a convenient and solid point on the bike, and see if there is any run out / wobble on the rim of the wheel.