No customization options are available.

Hello from the US! Plus some questions!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Vach, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Heh! Never rode the S1000R (which I admire on paper) but heated legs are a deal breaker for me. Same thing I found on the Aprilia Caponord, and was not impressed by that.

2. mrj

mrj Member

The S1000R is a great roadster, plenty of energy, breaks very well, very safe handling, light weight... Perfect roadster, really, apart maybe for its look (you like or you don't...). When I tried it, I just didn't buy it because it was a roadster (no protection at all, so you just can't use it for freeways, long rides...) and I was waiting for some road/tour version. But BMW chose to make the trail version instead, S1000XR: I tried it, was disappointed by the difference with the roadster (still plenty of energy, but shaky engine at low speed, too smooth suspension, too wide handle bar, too high seat...) and I ended up trying the RS, loving it, buying it! So at the end, was a nice story.
    That said, the S1000XR, like the S1000R and a lot of other bikes do heat your legs. Apart from a Honda CB500F my sons use, all other bikes I had/tried heat legs... I don't know yet how it feels on the RS because I haven't used it in the summer yet (bought it just after), but if it doesn't (like you seem to say) it'll be an excellent surprise!

3. Vach

Vach New Member

I just... hated it. I hate the idea that if I’m sitting in traffic for 3 minutes I’m basically inside a terrarium (bonus pojnra for anyone who understands what I’m talking about).

You are exactly right. It’s great for many reasons, but I ended up wanting the RS because the S1000R can really only wear one hat, even if it’s amazing at doing so.

Thanks for the info on the XR! I was super curious on that one.

And yes, so far no discomfort in my legs even when it’s warm outside. The cylinders do get warm when sitting but it’s nothing like the 1000R.

mrj likes this.
  4. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

If you ride an electric motorcycle (like we all will be doing in a few years :rolleyes: ) you won't have that problem to worry about. Just boredom, as you sit in traffic, waiting for the line to move and wondering if you should get your emergency bicycle off the back of your motorcycle and just pedal away. ;)

5. Vach

Vach New Member

I wish I had an electric motorcycle right now.

Is that a thing? Emergency bicycles? I’ve never seen one of those. It would have to be crazy small and folding.

6. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

BMW sold an emergency bicycle some years ago as a car accessory. It had full sized wheels, pivoting handlebars and a hinged frame. When folded it was little bigger than one of the wheels.

It cost heaps then, under $2,000, but not by much.

7. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

Around here, I have seen a couple of motorcycles carrying as many as three bicycles on a rear rack. Personally, I sure wouldn't want to ride one of those setups at freeway speeds, but somehow they manage to do so. Small foldable bicycles have been sold to private aircraft owners for years as transportation from their parked aircraft to local areas around an airport. Most of these bicycles have small wheels and can fold up into a size that would fit into a large suitcase. They get stored in the luggage area of the aircraft or behind the rear seat.

8. Vach

Vach New Member

Shows how uninformed I am! Thanks for indulging my curiosity. ;)