No customization options are available.

Hello from the US! Plus some questions!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Vach, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Vach

Vach New Member

Hello! I’ve been eyeing the R1200RS for awhile, and finally got one this morning. It’s awesome! But is taking some getting used-to. I had some questions about the break-in period to really help me decide. I’m coming from an S1000R, so that’s a factor.

I ended up getting a fully loaded 2016 RS with extremely low miles for about 5000$ off MSRP. I figured that was a good deal with the positive trade-in value of S-R. However, I’m experiencing some “growing pains” so to speak. I’m hoping you experts can help ease my mind! :)

When shifting, I like to use the Assist Pro. This is significantly more “jerky” than with my s1000R; does this change over time as he bike breaks in? Or am I just not experienced yet? Mainly I’m experiencing stiff shifts even with the clutch. I also feel like the acceleration on the s1000r is superior, but that may be just me not being accomstomed to the throttle yet.

Also, I unfortunately learned later that there are some transmission differences in the 2017/18 models. Did I screw my self? Am I missing something important?

Thanks everyone for looking! :D

2. Michael

Michael Well-Known Member

The quick shifter takes a little getting used to - I find that if timed properly, it is very smooth, mainly in the top 4 gears.

Grumpy Goat likes this.
  3. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm Well-Known Member

The S1000R has close to 40 more hp and is lighter than your new RS.
    Congrats and welcome to the club.

Grumpy Goat likes this.
  4. hic2wo

hic2wo New Member

Hello , i also had an s1000r and xr before trading to 2016Rs , The assist pro is far far clunkier on the Rs compared to my s1000r and seems to need hard acceleration before it changes smoothly , my friend has the same bike and thinks his is smooth but after the s1000r i dont think anything will be as easy to change. Mine is also the 16 plate and is slightly clunkier when changing gears but i am used to it now. Unfortunately the acceleration will not match the S1000r however when you adjust your riding style you can go quick pretty easily .I can easily keep up with my mates on there blades etc apart from long straights and we are all of a similar skill set.

Richard230 and Grumpy Goat like this.
  5. Vach

Vach New Member

Thanks for the replies! I love the quick shifter, but it feels very different from the s1000r, as a couple of you have said. Therefore making the change is simply jarring. I just want to make sure that’s SOP, which it seems it is. It does not get smoother after break in, and is all skill adjustment? I feel like if I had never used the s1000r then I’d think this was just as fantastic. :D

I understand, and thanks! It’s mostly that my dealership made it sound like they had extremely similar power curve and they really don’t.

6. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

Welcome aboard.
    Yes, you and the bike will be smoother with distance.
    Keeping RPMS up might help.
    Can't say I used the quick shifter too much while rolling on and off RPMs during the initial break in.
    Huh. Maybe they seem similar to guys who limit their riding to the parking lot in rain mode.

MrVvrroomm likes this.
  7. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Welcome to the forums.

You never did say how many miles were on the bike so no way to know if it is broken in yet. The service manual suggests that break in is the first 600 miles, and at $5000 off MSRP you are likely past that. The bike will continue to loosen up a bit beyond 600 and GASP behaviour will smoothen out but not to S1000R smoothness. The technique I (and many others here) use when using the GASP feature is as follows:
    1. Use the clutch from 1 - 2.
    2. Be accelerating when shifting up, the more aggressively, the smoother.
    3. Close the throttle completely when shifting downwards, the quicker the close off the better / smoother.
    With this approach and with some miles on the odometer, it is pretty smooth. It will never ever be sewing machine smooth ... it has character!

As for acceleration ... use the technique above as aggressively as you want and you will be satisfied. You will be even more satisfied the first time you hit some twisties on a downgrade and use the GASP and engine braking to control the descent. That is when the powertrain comes into its own.

Have fun with the RS.

mrj, ray2 and Vtbob like this.
  8. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

I tried a S1000RR and a S1000XR and the shift assist pro was much better on those bikes compared to the RS.
    The regular shift assist on my K1300S was also better than the RS.
    I think this option works better on the inline engines better than the boxer.

ray2 likes this.
  9. Vtbob

Vtbob Well-Known Member

I believe, but am not sure, the R1200RS (GS, RT, R) have a significantly heavier flywheel(total rotating mass) mass than S1000 based bikes. This stored energy is what cause the jerkiness...most noticeable in 1st and 2sd gear.

This mass is the trade off for the smoothness of the new wet head.

ray2 likes this.
  10. Bill the Cat

Bill the Cat Active Member

Congratz on the new bike. I know a few guys who have both the s1000r AND the RS, and I see them on either, depending on the ride. Where are you in Cali?

Cheers,

Dave

11. James Bagley

James Bagley Well-Known Member

The change to the 2017 model included a damper that reduces the “clunk” into first gear. For most of us, this occurs on our ‘15/‘16 models after the bike has warmed up. It feels a little agricultural, but the transmission itself is the same as the newer bikes and works just fine.

12. Vach

Vach New Member

HAHAHAHA! Indeed!

My RS only had 160 miles on it. They just really wanted to move it, but there definitely wasn't any issues with it. So I am going through the break in period, and really appreciate this advice! Thank you!

I am in Southern California, close to the LA Area. Right now it's decidedly way too cold.

Thanks to everyone for the replies and info!

13. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

You are welcome. That is some deal .... $5000 off and only 160 miles! It is definitely still new and tight. :)

14. Willy

Willy Well-Known Member

Short shift first to second using GSAP and it will be smooth with moderate acceleration applied. Never had an s1000 so can't comment on that but find my RS's GSAP gear changing is smooth up and down the box. Perhaps check the gear lever height in relation to the boots you are wearing, make sure when your foot is at rest it isn't contacting the lever so moving it out of its 'resting' position.

15. Willy

Willy Well-Known Member

Oh and good luck with the bike

ray2 likes this.
  16. LQB1

LQB1 New Member

True... I usually shift down to 1st just before stopping and avoid the clunk at stoplights etc. whenever possible. Much smoother.

17. Vach

Vach New Member

I know! There were some special considerations going on for sure, and it was also an "executive demo," but I know the demo rider and he only rode it twice, so it was in great shape.

Oh! Good call. I've had some better experiences the past ride, but I'll definitely look into this as well.

18. Phinj

Phinj Active Member

I am not seasoned with these Boxers. My '17 clunks quite Agriculturally in my opinion, there are ways to minimize it, read other threads.... start in first with clutch in, yadda yadda yadda.
    Habits to be broken with the QS...... Keep on the throttle when upshifting, dead off the throttle on the down, the Electronics do the job better than the best of us. Experiment, it has Warranty, don't over think it. It all works and works well, enjoy the torque the inline can never deliver, twins are different....very different.

ray2 likes this.
  19. mrj

mrj Member

The S1000R is a brilliant roadster for sure. But it is a roadster, not really adapted to touring. For sure it's more powerful and lighter than the R1200RS.
    As said above the shifter isn't as smooth on the RS vs. other BMW bikes, but it works fine > ~3000rpm, even to go from 1 to 2. So use it this way and not when maneuvering in town at low rpm for instance.
    Welcome and enjoy (you've got the best sport/touring bike currently available).

20. Vach

Vach New Member

Indeed, you are very correct. There are just certain things I greatly enjoyed with the S1000R, but the qualities I enjoy on the RS outweigh this, which is why I made the switch.

For example, I don’t feel like my legs are on fire. Haha.

I’m adapting to the Shift Assistsnt quickly. I’ve gotten transitions from 1st to 2nd to be less problematic.

Thanks for everyone’s advice.

mrj likes this.