No customization options are available.

Hello from Paris !

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Aurock, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Aurock

Aurock New Member

Hello everyone !

I'm a new and happy owner of R1200RS ! Style Sport, full options + shifter + keyless and I live in Paris. That's not a good spot to have fun with a motorcycle and the weather is quite bad but I rely on the road capacity of the RS to make great road trip ! ;)

My last bike was a Yamaha XJ6... It was a little bit... Different. :D

@+

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  2. Leon.P.

Leon.P. Well-Known Member

Welcome and enjoy.:)

Aurock likes this.
  3. Twistydevil

Twistydevil New Member

Hi Welcome
    I was going to go for a keyless ? I had a Renault Megane with a key card left it on the roof of the car not cheap to replace

Aurock likes this.
  4. LQB1

LQB1 New Member

Felicitations et bienvenue!

Aurock likes this.
  5. boxerboy

boxerboy Well-Known Member

Welcome Aurock - good to have you in the "club"

Aurock likes this.
  6. Mr. 36654

Mr. 36654 Well-Known Member

Aurock,

What will a typical weekend ride be for you? Where will you go?

I'm simply curious

Aurock likes this.
  7. AusTourer

AusTourer Active Member

Welcome Aurock and great choice on the new bike

Aurock likes this.
  8. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

On my one trip to Paris and France, I was impressed by the overall courtesy of the French drivers. Maybe we were lucky, but the aggression that can be seen on Melbourne's roads was not there even in Paris - a much larger, and more congested city. I did not see many large bikes - heaps of scooters and numbers of Smart cars and the French domestic equivalent.
    I think the hardest part of riding the RS in Paris would be finding a place to park! I suppose it will "hold its own" in the gaggles of 2 wheelers that can be seen so often. The second hardest thing will be to keep the speed down to one which will not frighten everyone else!
    It is just too bad that France cannot export the unpasteurised domestic cheese and that its breads really reach their peak on the day of baking.
    I guess the RS is to the scooters in France what a baguette and brie are to white sliced bread and Kraft singles!

Aurock and Leon.P. like this.
  9. Graham Lewis

Graham Lewis Active Member Contributor

had one of my oddest/favourite moments on a bike going round Paris. had read the police "force" a scooter lane round the Peripherique but did not believe it. however a few years ago I and about 10 mates on bikes were making slow progress around the ring road. Then 3 police bikers waved us over to them and made sure drivers were keeping a good gap between the lanes with us following them around. in one case a police bikers slapped a car which was not leaving enough space. I left the road with the biggest smile on my face. we then went into a tunnel (new I think at the time) with the lowest headroom I have used on a bike if memory serves me well.

Martien, Aurock and boxerboy like this.
  10. Aurock

Aurock New Member

Nice greeting !

Fortunately the RS doesn't have roof and I let the key inside a Givi "tanklock" bag or in my pocket, I think it's quite safe places. ;)

If I have 2 or 3 days and for 1 000 km, I like to go to Alsace (the region were I was born), or to Jura. I plan to go to Normandy too one of this day. With 4 days and for 1 600 km I can go to the Alps (very very nice trip but a little tiresome). And every year I make a road trip with some friends : 10 days, 3 000 km. We already were in Corsica, Italy, Ireland and Croatia. You can found a lot of good spot with twisty roads and beautiful panorama in all Europe.

Exactly ! The RS is for pleasure and a lot of people use scooters only to lose less time on the road to work but they don't really like to ride.

We call that "interfile" (like "between line"), so the motorcycles are allowed to ride between the car lanes. But it can be a bit dangerous, because tourists doesn't know that and make discrepancies without warning with their car. Outch !

And I know this tunnel ! Did you also drop your head at each sign ? :D

11. Graham Lewis

Graham Lewis Active Member Contributor

Oh yes I had my head down most of the time, the signs just scared me!!!!!

Aurock likes this.
  12. mrj

mrj Member

Salut et bienvenue !
    Quite a step going directly from a XJ6 to a R1200RS ! I did the same, but with a F800GT in between.
    Seems we have a similar taste for bikes, though.

Aurock likes this.
  13. Martien

Martien Member

Bienvenue Aurock, hope you enjoy the RS in the busy Paris traffic. Been there many times and always amazed at how people manage not to hit each other in the busy traffic! Will be visiting France again next summer, always enjoy driving there and enjoying the good food and wine, the scenery and even the friendly French people. :)

Aurock and Graham Lewis like this.