No customization options are available.

Helite Airbag Vest

Discussion in 'Helmets, Leathers, Boots and Gloves' started by JPCanada, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Codydawg

Codydawg New Member

I have the helite airbag jacket, its a top quality product, very tough and bright reflectors. Apx. 25,000 kms of riding, no issues. only complaint is its very warm in the summer heat, I expect the vest would be better in the heat.... 14 pockets = difficult to find keys sometimes. I wear kevlar jeans with force field CE knee pads & underpants. Feeling safe and comfortable riding ... its just the summer heat.

looking for hot day riding gear with some protection if anyone has any suggestions. good armor + not too hot?

2. Codydawg

Codydawg New Member

3. Daboo

Daboo Active Member

That's exactly why I bought my Hit-Air vest. I want to be able to walk away from an accident like that.

Chris

4. Jim Evans

Jim Evans Well-Known Member

The Alpinestars system- at least on their race suits- is much more sophisticated than the Helite, operating without a leash and with lights that indicate when the system is armed and operable.

5. Daboo

Daboo Active Member

The only problem I have with any of the jackets or the race suit, is it can only be used with that one piece of riding apparel. I use my Hit-Air vest with my Olympia AST2 in the winter, and my Olympia Dakar in the summer. There's more flexibility in buying just the vest.

Chris

Codydawg likes this.
  6. Codydawg

Codydawg New Member

Very good point Daboo, how do you like the Dakar?

7. Daboo

Daboo Active Member

I was blessed to get the Olympia Dakar as a closeout item for $199. The Dakar 2 is $349, though I see Revzilla has it for $298 right now. The jacket is like other Olympia gear. Lots of good thoughtful features, made by motorcycle riders for motorcycle riders. The armor is great and includes a back protector, not just an empty pocket for a pad or a useless foam pad. I like the way the rain/wind liner can now be used either under the outer jacket or over it. It's roomy enough to fit in either place, yet not bulky. The inner quilted liner is a nice addition for cold mornings.

You get a lot of flexibility out of this jacket.

Chris

To and Fro and Codydawg like this.
  8. rclompus

rclompus Active Member

I've been wearing a Helite turtle airbag vest for the past year. Its part of my everyday wear when riding. I try to invest in something each year to improve my ride and survivability. Craig Hansen from Hansen BMW in Medford, Oregon recommended the vest. He purchased them for all of his employees as part of his commitment to his workers who ride everyday. I chose the fluorescent green with reflectors. It also comes in black. Its interesting when you ride up behind cars in California. They tend to slow down and then when they recognize you're not the highway patrol, they quickly speed up again.

I'd highly recommend you visit a dealer to experience how the vest works. Before committing to purchasing the vest, Craig Hansen had me put it on for a live demonstration at his dealership. I put the vest on and stood there as he pulled the release cord. Quicker than you could blink, the vest inflated on both sides, back and behind my neck feeling similar to wearing a Hans device for road racing. I looked like the Michelin man in the tire advertisements. The vest deflated by itself in about 3-5 minutes. By inserting a new CO2 canister, the vest was ready to use immediately. The vest does include a built in back protector so your jacket doesn't need one for a more comfortable ride. When you get on your bike, you have to remember to connect the vest to the tether cord installed on your bike near the front of seat. If you are thrown from your bike accidentally, this tether will yank the valve activating the vest. Fortunately, it has some elasticity so you won't trigger the vest if you hop off your bike and forget to disconnect the tether cord. Highly recommended and hope never to need it.
    Ride safe,
    Richard

9. ANDYP

ANDYP New Member

On the R1200RS where did you attach the lanyard - the 'cable' that activates the air vest? Many thanks

10. rclompus

rclompus Active Member

Lift off the rider seat and attach it to a metal support bar underneath. I have my BMW tank bag attached to this metal piece under the seat.

11. ANDYP

ANDYP New Member

Thanks for reply. Could you indicate which metal bar you mean? As far as I am aware the two rectangular 'stand up' lugs on the seat bracket pictured are for tank bag straps. The seat bracket is a sort of glass-filled nylon (??) which looks pretty strong but I do not know if strong enough - the front hole MIGHT be a good place? There seems to be no obvious sensible central place to attach the lanyard directly to metal frame - which I agree would be the best choice. Two pics enclosed I hope. Four yellow dots = fix points of seat bracket to frame TT_Fix_07 - Copy.JPG TT_Fix_12 - Copy.JPG .

12. rclompus

rclompus Active Member

Andy, I'm currently traveling for business. I'll be home next Thurs. I'll take a look and post a photo.
    Richard

13. Mark

Mark Member

Andy the metal bar is further back toward the rear of the bike.

14. PeterG

PeterG Active Member

Well, an airbag will be an improvement on safety but will not be an advantage necessarily. I did not have one on a crash in January which sent me to hospital for several months. But in this quite typical case an airbag vest or jacket would not have been of any advantage. It has been a quite typical crash. I went a straight road on Teneriffa when a bus and several cars came the opposite direction. While I watched them attentively but there was no sign anybody wanted to get on my side suddenly a car directly behind the bus (so little distance to the bus that I could not see it at all and obviously the driver had no sight on the oncoming traffic (me and some other bike behind me)) went left. Only thing I could do was braking as I was almost at the front of the bus and got down from 80 km/h to 60 km/h when I crashed into the right side of the car. I flew over the car and hit hard on the road. Head and upper body were unharmed but I had several bone fracture in legs and right arm and I am still unable to go without hand stock and my right hand is very restricted. An airbag vest wouldn't have prevented any of my injuries so don't feel to safe with it. Nevertheless I am thinking about getting a Helite Turtle vest because there is no such thing as to much safety ;-)...

15. Codydawg

Codydawg New Member

I have mine on the bar on the right side of the bike, understanding it pulls quicker falling off left side. Under the seat did not look reliable and appeared something may break.

I have the tour and vent jacket. The tour is alike a winter coat, O deg C is ok with a sweater. 1st time out with vent model yesterday 30 C, awesome. I like it.

if anyone has a better spot please post photo. thx.

Attached Files:

16. rclompus

rclompus Active Member

Sorry for the delay in getting a photo of the attachment point. My dealer recommended using the same attachment points as used for the BMW tank bag. The black plastic cover under the seat is bolted down in multiple locations. The force to activate the vest should be much below the break point of the lugs that hold the elastic shock cord. The seat is also locked over this attachment point. I hope this helps.
    Ride safe,
    Richard IMG_8062.JPG