No customization options are available.

Helite Airbag Vest

Discussion in 'Helmets, Leathers, Boots and Gloves' started by JPCanada, Sep 11, 2016.

1. JPCanada

JPCanada New Member

Hi - just saw this incredible video of a guy rolling off his bike into a ditch and getting up and walking away thanks to a Helite Airbag vest. Has anyone had any experience with this product, good, bad, or indifferent? How do they fit? Are they comfortable? Are they warm?

Seems like a great idea but at $US 650, I thought I'd check the forum to see if anyone else has used one and with what kind of feedback.

Thanks all!

2. JPCanada

JPCanada New Member

Here is the video

3. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

Hi, Ive been looking at these. Alpine stars have partnered with BMW to produce an airbag jacket - it has just come on sale in the UK.
    I think it is the future. Not to be argumentative but its difficult to say whether this accident would have been worse without the airbag, so not really a scientific test. Rider feels it saved him but we don't know.
    Funny thing , the guy is wearing an airbag but also jeans and normal boots !! Somewhat of a contradictory approach to safety :rolleyes:

4. JPCanada

JPCanada New Member

Funny you should mention the sneakers and the jeans, as I had the exact same reaction when I saw this video!

5. Peter Burridge

Peter Burridge Well-Known Member Contributor

I can't quite work out why he rode into the ditch in the 1st place :rolleyes:

6. JWMcDonald

JWMcDonald Active Member Contributor

in his own words:

"I hit the front brake and it straightened out"

DUH!

"I was coming in really hot and focused on the wall that I was going into and just went into it"

Target fixation, anyone ?

'It's what happens..."

I call BS - he was behind the operational curve and in over his head - it doesn't "just happen"

Peter Burridge and Aussie Import like this.
  7. Andy Griffiths

To test the airbag ...of course:p

RS i Mc, runnerhiker, Scorch and 2 others like this.
  8. Andy Griffiths

Always good fun playing hindsight riding maestro, I can't resist this one.
    1. In completely the wrong position for the right hand bend to start
    2. Bend is tightening but he maintains and even slightly increases speed when the view is closed
    3. Survives that and through bad positioning is actually in the right place for the left hander
    4. Makes decision that he will not make left hander when in fact the speed looks ok and view is better than previous bend
    5. Looks like he does not understand principles of cornering

Conclusion = Bit of a Lorenzo/Rossi moment - 'confidence outweighed ability'
    Also as per post above - target fixation on the bank.

Much nicer when its someone else :rolleyes:

Scorch and Peter Burridge like this.
  9. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

And the truth is these very valid crtiques all come from our own (survivor's) mistakes.

10. REMUS USA

REMUS USA Member

Thanks for sharing the video of the rider that crashed in his Helite vest. We have since recommended to him to look into a track day or a motorcycle training course to help him with his riding skills.

At MaxMOTO we are the North American distributors for Remus, and Helite Airbag Protection as well. There was recently another crash with a rider who was able to walk away from his accident because of his airbag vest. Check the article out HERE.

If you have any questions about Helite we are now here to help. Starting today all R1200RS members can get a killer deal on Helite. Use coupon code R1200RS at helitemoto.com when checking out for a discount on any vest or jacket.

Codydawg likes this.
  11. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

Impressive response from Remus. When a company listens to the market, it can only be a good thing for its customers.

Jim Evans and REMUS USA like this.
  12. Jeroen1969

Jeroen1969 Well-Known Member

I have Kevlar Jeans, you can't tell the difference from a distance between regular jeans or Kevlar jeans. So, it might be this guy is wearing a pair of Kevlar jeans. Though th might look the same from a distance, they do respond to crashes differently than regular jeans though. A test team used mannequin dolls, weighing roughly the same as an adult, put those Kevlar jeans on them, put them in a van, tied them to a bar and on the highway, threw them out, dragging them around for a couple of miles. The Kevlar jeans didn't wear through. I can imagine you would get burn marks because friction will most likely create heat. I wear these trousers on days I do not expect any rain. My wife has got a "next generation" level pair that has better ventilation. Not a bad feature because the downside of these pants are that they get really hot when the sun shines on them. Even when you are going at a relatively high speed.
    Underneath the jeans, I wear BMW motorboots, again, hard to distinguish from regular boots from a distance, but I trust Mr. BMW that they will give me some protection in case of a fall.

As for the vest, I'm probably going to invest in this jacket. Should I get thrown off the bike and the airbag blows up, I can buy a replacement cartridge and reuse the jacket (provided it didn't get damaged that is). I think it is a fair price, round about the same price I paid for my All Seasons Rev'it High Vis jacket (that is getting a bit smudgy now).

13. PabloMS

PabloMS New Member

Hi there, I use a HITAIR airbag Gillet since I bought it last year, I use on a daily basis, for me it has become a safety feature as important as the helmet. I do not consider a ride without it. I can ride with a t-shirt and the HITAIR and I feel nice because my back, neck, vital organs and ribcage is absolutely protected....

Both the hellite and the hitair, are expensive...but worth an investment, guess you can´t buy a new spine or neck...

Bjornar likes this.
  14. Daboo

Daboo Active Member

Like Pablo, I don't consider a ride without my airbag vest. I bought the Hit-Air vest about 3 years ago. IMO, it seemed as good as the Helite, but was less expensive. I see there's a discount for the Helite that might bring their price down in the same ballpark (or less???).

I got started thinking about the airbag vest when a friend on another forum went off the road. He was a highly experienced rider and was leading a group of 4-5 others. The road curved...he didn't. He has no idea still why he went straight. His helmet and riding gear protected his head and body from road rash. But...he had 17 broken bones in his chest, a crushed vertebrae and a fractured vertebrae. He almost lost his life.

If he had been wearing an airbag vest, he probably would've walked away from the accident.

I've used mine in the past. Nothing as serious as his accident, but enough to know it works. I went to turn right at a busy intersection. Just as I started accelerating and had the handlebars turned, a teenager walked out in front of me. My fault, not his as he had the light to cross and I didn't look for him. I went down in a fraction of a second. As I'm laying with my ribs against the edge of the curb, I realized I felt no pain. What? I should've. Then I realized the airbag vest had deployed as it was supposed to do and inflated before I hit the curb. Even at that speed, with the force of a 570 lb bike coming down and throwing me against the curb, I should've had a broken rib or two. Instead, just my ego was bruised and my wallet $20 lighter for a new CO2 cartridge.

By the way, the vest is heavier than a safety vest obviously, but covers about the same amount of area when not deployed. When deployed, it covers a lot of area. The area above the shoulders blows up to protect your collarbone and neck. There's tubes in the front and back that blow up to protect the ribs and spine. Then there's the area at the bottom that blows up to protect the tailbone area. After it deploys, it'll slowly go down in size over several minutes, or you can unscrew the CO2 cartridge to deflate it quicker. Install a new CO2 cartridge and tuck the bag sections back into the vest and you're all set to use it again.

You'll find the airbag vest will make you warmer. In cooler weather, that's great. ;) In warmer weather, you just need to plan for it. The vest may cut off ventilation through your riding jacket, depending on where your jacket's vents are located. On another thread, I mentioned I used a cooling vest under a mesh jacket in temps up to 106F. The airbag vest over it all kept the airflow down enough that the cooling vest worked for about 3 hours. So yes, it'll make you warmer...but if you plan for it, you'll be fine and it can actually be an advantage.

The cost is something to discuss. The Hit-Air MLV-PY is $519. I bought mine from a place called SaferMoto. http://www.safermoto.com/air-bag-vests/mlv-py/ You'll find them at the same price elsewhere. There's a less expensive version they sell that is hi-vis, but I liked this one for the amount of reflective tape it has. That seems expensive at first glance. But consider how much a trip to the emergency room would cost, and perhaps an overnight stay at the least. Plus, how many weeks or months do you want to be hurting and healing? There's a cost to that as well.

I hope that answered your questions.

Chris

Bjornar, PabloMS and Scorch like this.
  15. DJBee

DJBee Active Member

I have never considered one of these before but having read this forum thread I am now considering the possibility of getting one.

My principal concern is this: I am very absent-minded; not senility by the way, I have always been like this. I would think it a virtual certainty that if I did have one, I would pull up outside the pub or somewhere one day, nonchalantly get off the bike, walk away from it and suddenly inflate because I had forgotten to undo the tether thing. The hilarity of the onlookers and the ensuing embarrassment might be too much for me I think. I might very well also just fall over with the shock of the totally unexpected inflation, making it even more hilarious.

If you did forget to untether yourself, this would happen wouldn't it?

16. PabloMS

PabloMS New Member

Hi there DJbee,

Should inform you that im also kind of absent-minded.

I figured that out when after parking my car and walking down the street, i noticed that it was still running in idle and i was already 2 minutes away from it...

Almost a dozen of times it has happened to me that, when trying to walk away from the vespa i felt the pressure of the airbag cable and nothing else happened, i disconnected it and it was over. You should apply a force of 30kgs or more to deploy it's mechanism. Anyway i am also worried about bursting into an airball when arriving to a fancy terraze...

About the problem of forgetting it, well, shall you forget a 500€ bill somewhere?

-Yes. So do I, but don't worry, the airbag gilet will become one piece with your jacket and you don't forget that so easily.

I strongly recommend this piece of technology to protect ourselves, as far as combined with the addecuated hardshell protections underneath, it makes you closer to Ironman's outfit .

Cheers.

17. Daboo

Daboo Active Member

As Pablo wrote, you train yourself quickly. I've been stopped short several times when walking away from my bike, but that's never activated the airbag. It takes more force than that.

Chris

18. PabloMS

PabloMS New Member

Hi Chris, im happy to know that your friend is ok.

A good friend of mine also had a severe number of bones, particularly vertebraes and ribs among many others, broken after a crash. Two months in bed before walking again...terrible, but his riding nos and thats fine.

I bought the airbag after a crash with a passanger, where I had two ribs fisurated because I hitted the rearview mirror at 35kph...passenger was fine.

I knew about it because another friend of mine wore it when i met him, he talked to me about it and tell me that it was japanese and that the policemen used them.

Those factors convinced me that the airbag was a lifetime investment.

Cheers from Spain !!

19. DJBee

DJBee Active Member

Pablo and Daboo,
    Thanks for the reassurance re. setting the thing off accidentally.
    I am thinking about it!

20. DJBee

DJBee Active Member