No customization options are available.

$#!+ Happens But It Shouldn't, Service Gripe

Discussion in 'Servicing & Maintenance' started by RJC_BMW, Nov 2, 2017.

1. RJC_BMW

RJC_BMW Active Member

I am so disappointed.

Going on right now with my exclusive BMW dealer. I live on LI and have no way of getting to the dealership, so I am on their every Wednesday pickup\delivery list. Well last Wednesday they pick up the bike and away she goes. Yesterday (Wednesday, 1 wk later) comes and just about goes as well before I try to contact them. Other than my texting the service department number (because I cannot get a human to answer the phone) at 4:00 last evening to ask where my bike was and finding out that their driver did not show, I have absolutely no communication from these people at all. I have no idea what the status is of my service, and when or if I will ever see my bike again. Extreme, but justified just the same. I took a day off work yesterday to be home to receive the bike. Now I will have to take another when and if they schedule a return next Wednesday. All this would be acceptable if I only had some communication from their side. My riding club asks me if I am riding this weekend and I have to say – I don’t know. I don’t know where my bike is, or when I will see it again. Not to mention what condition it is in. The lack of communication from such a professional organization is simply unacceptable. As a matter of fact, it is un-professional. ESPECIALLY coming from BMW. And to top it all off, I am paying them for this. Unacceptable, unprofessional, and unbelievable.

Disappointed.

Thanks for letting me vent.

2. Joogles

Joogles Member

What a bummer!

3. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

Disappointing. If they offer such a service then it should be reliable.

For me, part of the buying decision is to have a dealer convenient to me. I have a BMW and a Triumph. Dealers are 10 minutes away from home! My car is a Seat (part of Volkswagen), dealer is a half a mile from my office.

Despite some attractive bikes, I have ruled out Ducati and Moto Guzzi as I CBA to travel an hour to get a service or warranty work.

4. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

Name and shame got service like that!
    BTW where is LI?

5. vat

vat Active Member

Have to tell you I'm not surprisedly by the lack of communication. Seems to be a common problem with BMW dealers. And I'm sure they wonder why customers get upset with there service departments. Is this a local dealership on LI or the one other large dealerships in the Metro area with several locations?

6. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

Not clear you have any good reason to put up with the crap you describe.

Aren't you also a Ducati rider? You know better than most, we don't need to own a BMW to be happy in life.

Pretty clear, I would not own a BMW if I had to put up with poor communication or service - even if it's NY. There's a lot of good and dependable technology out there. I mean, I no longer need to own a BMW for the reasons I did 30 y ago - i.e., to cut down my chances of pushing a broken down bike through rural Montana. Nowadays, just about anything on two wheels can make the trip; I'm always looking for an excuse to pick up a new Japanese sport bike.

Most importantly, how comfortable do you feel braking hard into a blind corner with the knowledge that all your service has been done by a "service" department that does not seem to care about you?

A lot of posts have made me feel good about the philosophy of my local dealership. These are guys with whom I trust life and limb. As I think about it, while on the road, I only seem to meet the diligent BMW mechanics - guys who go out of their way to make sure I'm quickly back on the bike and safe while running hard.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    RJC_BMW likes this.
  7. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

As it happens, my dealer is a joint car / motorcycle one close to my home in Doncaster Vic. I haven't seen or met the mechanics. The "interface" with the service department is the Parts counter or the Service Advisor.
    Every time I have been there, I have been impressed with the knowledge of the employees. They understood what was required. They have done their work as I expected. Prompt, professional, helpful. I do not have a word to say against them. They also keep in touch by email / SMS / phone.
    Once I needed a handful of very small bits. On the same day as I ordered them, someone from their parts department showed up in my office in the CBD and handed me the packet. I was perfectly happy to go back up and collect it from the dealer, or have it posted - but a $10 item was hand delivered.
    I have never had better service from any motorcycle business. I have never had service approaching this level from any motorcycle business - and this includes the businesses that are / were run by personal friends!!!

Richard230 likes this.
  8. RJC_BMW

RJC_BMW Active Member

Aussie, LI = Long Island, off NY.
    Vat, Tri-State area with multiple locations.

Btw, up until now, no real complaints. Not outstanding, but not complaining either. Now, I am complaining. Non-communication to me is unacceptable. Like I said, things happen, I understand that, I am patient. But I can only be those things when I know what the hell I am dealing with.

Like Rav says: Most importantly, how comfortable do you feel braking hard into a blind corner with the knowledge that all your service has been done by a "service" department that does not seem to care about you.
    I always do my own service on the Duc for that very reason. If anything ever happens, I know I only have myself to blame.

I emailed the dealership last night. Let's see how this plays out between now and next Wednesday. Believe me, if I could get up there and get my bike, I'd be there when they opened the doors this morning.

Aussie Import likes this.
  9. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

I would let BMW Customer Service know about your experience, if I were you. Maybe this dealership should not be selling their bikes. There could be other customers with similar complaints to yours.

I am lucky in that in the greater Houston area there are 4 dealerships, 3 that I would do business and one in Katy whose door I will no longer darken because of their ignorant attitude in the sales department (no greeting no interest in a customer browsing their bikes). The one I bought my bike from continues to give me good service with good communication, and the one in The Woodlands also is good to me. The last one is too far away for me to frequent but I have always been treated well when I do venture their way.

BMW Motorrad Corporate should be made aware that there are dealerships like this hurting their sales, and it would be a shame of one were to not buy a BMW bike because of the lack of good after-sales service. This is what their Contact Us page has to say:

Since the first one rolled out back in 1923 we have been building motorcycles for real riders. You, with your love of the ride and high standards for performance, have driven us to keep innovating, keep refining, keep improving. So if you have something to say, good or bad, we want to hear it.

Call our Customer Service Department at 1-800-831-1117 and follow the automated voice prompts. There is a live representative between the hours of 9:00AM - 9:00PM EST Monday-Thursday, and 9:00AM - 6:00PM EST Fridays. If someone's not there to take your call, you can wait and the automated voice will prompt you to leave a message.

You may also reach our Customer Service Department by sending email to CustomerService@bmwmotorcycles.com.

We will get back to you as soon as possible

vat and ray2 like this.
  10. Duckbubbles

Duckbubbles Active Member

Do you get e-mails from BMWNA asking about your experiences? I sent an e-mail back to them in the comments section and had a call from the Mothership within days. Sometimes bypassing the dealer and let the sh*t fall from above will get better results, it did for me.

Frank

Grumpy Goat likes this.
  11. vat

vat Active Member

Thanks for the BMW contact info

Grumpy Goat likes this.
  12. Strommer

Strommer Active Member

So your bike has disappeared? I would call the police and report it stolen.

13. vat

vat Active Member

I was wondering what the out come of your problem with the dealer was. Did they ever return the bike? Did you contact BMWNA - did they get back to you?