No customization options are available.

Hand Grips Too Small for You?

Discussion in 'Parts & Accessories' started by darrell, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Peter Burridge

Peter Burridge Well-Known Member Contributor

We're going through the crisp and very gritted weather at the moment John so no. I have large hands and they do feel more comfortable. As soon as the wet and windy stuff returns next week we'll see :D

2. Psy69

Psy69 Active Member

Oooo, ribbed for extra pleasure!

3. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

For whom?

4. JHero

JHero Active Member

Peter Understand about the weather. Very interested in your comments when you have a chance to get out.
    John

5. Peter Burridge

I've managed to do 100 miles in the past couple of days with the modified hand grips. It's been cold and the roads have been heavily gritted. I hope the ACF50 does it's stuff. The grips are definitely more comfortable for my large hands and there are no issues with control. Heat wise the heated grips are no where near as effective. It's been 1 to 3 degrees Centigrade today and my hands have been cold. I could feel the grips working but only just.

Given that Spring is around the corner I'm keeping the O rings on but once Autumn arrives they may come off for the Winter.

Here's a photo of Eaumont Bridge closed by the recent floods, as is Pooley Bridge which is no more :(

Peter To2b.jpg

darrell likes this.
  6. JHero

JHero Active Member

Peter Thanks for the update. The heated grips was my concern, the Grip Buddies may be soft but they do allow the heated grips to work as I confirmed yesterday when I went out for an 80 mile ride, nice and sunny but 2 degrees C.
    John

7. Peter Burridge

An update. I've taken mine off due to it still being chilly and the fact that I tend to do long runs. I'm still not sure on the comfort thing. The O rings increase the diameter quite a lot and even though I have large hands I was finding the step up 'unusual'. I'll see how I get on with the normal grips again.

8. Locke

Locke Member

Grip puppies are also a good and inexpensive option at £14 a pair. Just trim to the right length, spray a little WD40 on the grip and slide it on. They let the heat though ok, but not great, about 50% as effective as without I'd say. I have a set of Beamer buddies on the way as well and I'll be slipping the grip puppies off soon and seeing how they compare.

Peter Burridge likes this.
  9. oscarguitar

oscarguitar Well-Known Member

I have the Grip Buddies, very comfy and help with the vibes, but do seem to take a long time to heat up. I'll be interested to find out how they compare to the puppies.

10. Locke

Locke Member

Sounds good Oscar. Did you have much trouble lining the grip buddies up so that the seam doesn't interfere with your grip? That's my only real gripe with the design, that and the reported solvent residue they leave on the grips when removed... lucky I have some 'Goo-gone' in the cupboard!

11. JHero

JHero Active Member

Brake and Clutch cleaner is pretty good at cleaning glue residue
    John

12. Bazza Beemer

Bazza Beemer Well-Known Member

It is most unfortunate that BMW made the grips with such a small diameter. I wonder if there are other model grips larger in diameter that will fit or if the aftermarket will produce an OEM replacement larger diameter. Anything we add to make the grip larger will effectively reduce the heat transfer for the heated grips.

13. oscarguitar

oscarguitar Well-Known Member

Not too much trouble, I tend to take the "measure 30 times, fit once" approach, and I don't notice any interference. I haven't tried to remove them so no problem with the goo yet.

14. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

Not me. I tend to cut 30 times and then measure once. :rolleyes:

Aussie Import and oscarguitar like this.
  15. Bub

Bub Active Member

On several previous bikes I installed Pro Grip 714s and really liked them. Larger diameter, slightly barrel shaped and soft. I had put them on over after market grip heaters and they worked just fine. I don't know how easy it would be to remove the OEM grips and leave the heating elements on for a grip change though. I know some guys with Multistradas were able to.
    http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/pro-grip-714-dual-sport-grips

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  16. runnerhiker

runnerhiker Well-Known Member Contributor

You are right in theory but not in practice. The reduction in heat transfer is not perceptible. My first bike with heated grips was a '04 BMW with slim grips. I added tennis racket wrap to the right grip and left the left grip bare and I could not tell the difference. I had an '08 FJR with heated slim grips and I first added grip puppies to the right only. Again I could not tell the difference. With that experience, I no longer do one side only, all OEM grips are too slim for me but now I do both sides right off the bat.

17. GenadyL

GenadyL Active Member

I have tried all the flavors of Grip buddies and puppies e.t.c
    I was never happy with them, too fat for my hands, modifying original controls too much.
    someone here recommended using tennis racket grip wraps - Best Solution Ever!
    Super easy to install. Don't need to remove or cut anything and it is totally customizable - you can just wrap it differently or more layers to achieve any thickness or softness you want.
    Also cheap in under 10$ from Amazon

18. lupo

lupo Active Member

Sounds new and interesting to me. Could you show some images of that?!

Thanks

19. GenadyL

GenadyL Active Member

IMG_0562.jpg

Here it is on my son's Ninja. Mine looks a bit different but I don't remember the exact brand I ordered on Amazon.
    Just order a few (they are cheap) and try what you like better...

20. lupo

lupo Active Member

Thanks,
    I will try this spring if I like the look and feel.