No customization options are available.

GSP

Discussion in 'BMW R1200RS Forum Announcements' started by CJ The Bear, Jun 22, 2016.

1. CJ The Bear

CJ The Bear Member

Gear Shift Pro, amazing.

Just wanted to put that out there.

I bought an RS, had to sell the RS, I bought another RS, collect it today!

Best part of riding an RS? One down into first gear then go. Or as I like to say, Click-Boom!

Scorch, MarkJ and WilliamJ like this.
  2. WilliamJ

WilliamJ Active Member

Still new on the bike, but love downshifting w/GSP, still working on smoother upshifting.

3. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Enjoy. And it only gets better as the bike gets more broken in and you get more proficient at using it. :)

4. Willy

Willy Well-Known Member

Just keep the power on, doesn't need a lot and don't change the throttle position as you change, takes a bit of getting used to at first. Short shift 1st to 2nd again make sure power is on all through the change and it will shift smoothly, no more getting headbutted by pillion!

5. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

I was ready to come in here and say you spelt GPS wrong.

Must say I'm also loving the Shift Assist once you get used to holding the throttle in position and not opening it as you shift.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
    Stixx likes this.
  6. Stixx

Stixx Active Member

ROTFLMAO

7. CJ The Bear

CJ The Bear Member

GSP, clutch in from 1st to 2nd, goes smoother through neautral.
    From 2nd to 6th is where the fun starts.
    But the magic happens when you GSP down, from the very very spirited riding to the tranquil, four clicks-four blips, marvelous, something I never get tired of...

Stixx likes this.
  8. CJ The Bear

CJ The Bear Member

It's amazing, it's now starting to feel like pulling the clutch is a fitted optional extra. On a tight twisty sometimes I pull the clutch and release it slowly for the engine breaking to work smoother to pull round the bend, late apex then power. Slower I know, but I like both quick and fast.
    Old Skool

9. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

+1 on downshifts - still not 100% convinced on the upshifts in lower gears.
    Got a 600 mile ride this weekend and looking forward to it very much.
    Annual service on Tuesday which will make 4800 miles for the 12 months since new. This is the most mileage that I have done in recent years and is a reflection of both the usability and fun the RS brings to its rider. And the bike was in the garage over the winter on the trickle charger too!

10. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

I have the same comment as Andy. My GSP (my owner's manual calls it a GSAssistantP) really works well during all downshifts and up-shifting from third gear. But shifting up from first and second result in a heavy slam into second and third gears that I find uncomfortable. Since I have an early-build RS, perhaps BMW has been tweaking the system to smooth out lower-gear shifting. For me, using the clutch when up-shifting from the lower gears is the smoothest way to shift.

11. Gr8BigSea

Gr8BigSea Member

I have finally got the up shifting from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 smooth. The trick is to gently, but quicky roll off the throttle (that's twisting your wrist forward) while simultaneously and gently applying upward pressure on the gear shift. Once you get the right timing and pressure, it can be just as smooth as the higher gear upshifts.
    It took lots of trial and error and even now I still get the occasional grinding or clunking and sometimes an accidental neutral. My dealer also applied a software upgrade to the GSAP back in April. He told me to continue using the clutch for a while ( a few days) and then start using the GSAP. My impression was this was so the system could "learn" the correct shifting pattern. I'm not sure if I buy that, but it certainly seemed to be better after the software upgrade was installed.

Anyway, I highly rcommend practicing the method I described above. I'm thinking of making a video with two Gopro cameras - one on the gear shift and one on the throttle hand in a split screen to show how it works.

12. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

Had my service yesterday and dealer was asked to look at GASP. They did and said bike had lost synchronicity so GASP was reset. Coming home it was smoother and I'll see how it develops next few days. This is a high tech gadget and problems will occur.

Gr8BigSea likes this.
  13. Gr8BigSea

Gr8BigSea Member

Andy,

Very interesting - let us know how it works.

I met a new 2015 GS owner yesterday who was describing the same issues that us RS owners have - difficulty with up shifting in the low gears. Like most, he had already resigned himself to using the clutch for those shifts. It might be worth checking out a GS forum to see if there is more known about this issue...

Jim

14. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

So essentially you are sort of doing a manual clutchless change?

Makes sense I guess that it would work as you unload the gearbox.

Haven't even considered trying to do normal clutchless shifts since I have the special gadget for it.

Scorch likes this.
  15. Gr8BigSea

Gr8BigSea Member

Well, I guess it could be considered a normal clutchless shift, but I think the special gadget is in there too helping out (or rather we as the rider are helping it out)...

16. Stixx

Stixx Active Member

I've about decided that up shifts are useless below 3rd gear but downshifts continue to be flawless all the way down and matching revs is always spot on so that is the good
    of it in my view. Mine is smoother after 6k but lately it has gotten clunkier . I plan to have them reset the GASP and see what if anything that does.

17. Gr8BigSea

Gr8BigSea Member

The decision to (clutchless) upshift in those two lower gears 1/2 and 2/3 really depends on the throttle opening and the aggressiveness of your acceleration. I find accelerating onto a highway ramp for example would for me be really smooth through these gears - and without any need to slack the throttle. On the other hand, if you're puttering around a city where speeds are 50 km/hr (30 mph), it's necessary to slack the throttle to get a smooth change. It also seems to depend on the transmission loading - so if you're trying to clutchless shift down a hill, it will definitely not work smoothly.
    I agree that there seems to be some "learning" going on and the behaviour of the GSAP seems to change over time. Makes it kind of hard to understand - kind of like hitting a moving target. A reset may be in order!

18. Willy

Willy Well-Known Member

Yes I agree to get smooth lower gear changes using the GSAP you must be accelerating, you don't have to accelerate hard or have high revs, just accelerating. I find around town I am short shifting 1-2 with gentle acceleration, I am only doing about 10mph, really as soon as my foot is back on the peg I am upshifting and it's really smooth. Now downhill is another matter, so long as you can accelerate down hill it will be smooth but in that scenario or where I find I am on a flat or part closed throttle I will use the clutch. Great fun when you are used to it!

19. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

I assume when you say accelerating you don't mean actually moving the throttle but rather in a sense of momentum increasing.

I agree completely with that. You don't want to ever do it when you are maintaining constant speed and just want to change up a gear...it simply doesn't work.

But if you are moving the throttle in any way while shifting then there is a bizarre slingshot effect...if it changes at all.

20. Gr8BigSea

Gr8BigSea Member

I got so used to slacking off the throttle before doing the 1/2 clutchless upshift that I thought I would always need to do it. Recently tried without, and for the most part it is smooth, so it seems like the GSAP learned the shifting pattern somehow. My dealer implied that after the GSAP was upgraded by him back in May that it would learn. I didn't think it would take it 4000 km to learn!