No customization options are available.

GS-911 sale

Discussion in 'Servicing & Maintenance' started by Richard230, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

duccrazydave likes this.
  2. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Thanks for sharing this, Richard. Actually it is a new model (Gen 2 USB vs WiFi) and the WiFi model is still $400. This $300 unit is USB / Windows only and is offered as a cheaper alternative, which would do me just fine. I am very tempted! The brochure for the GS-911 is here.

MrVvrroomm likes this.
  3. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

If you plan to only use it at home, go for the USB model. At home I only use the GS911 with a laptop.
    If you want to travel with it, maybe consider the WiFi unit so you can use it with a smart phone or tablet.
    I used to travel with a very small laptop and using a USB model was no problem.
    Now I carry a 8" tablet. If someone makes a Windows tablet that accepts a USB, you're good to go with the USB model.
    Since you live close to a couple dealers and the service reminder reset fee is not stupid high, it may not be cost effective to buy one.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  4. Grumpy Goat

Thanks for the input Lee. My machine of choice is my tablet with keyboard and USB port. Works great especially with a 200 GB microSD card - ASUS-Transformer-Mini-T102HA
    [​IMG]

Can see me travelling with the GS911 but if I do it would not be a problem.

I guess our bikes have the round 10-pin connector as opposed to the OBD-II connector correct? If so then I believe I would have to get the adapter cable too.

5. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Yes it looks like that laptop will work, and yes you will need a adapter cable.

Grumpy Goat likes this.
  6. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

That's now on my wish list :)

7. slackfreak

slackfreak New Member

PaulB_UK likes this.
  8. GordonH

GordonH Well-Known Member

9. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

or just carry a break down card :)

Grumpy Goat likes this.
  10. Grumpy Goat

Thanks Lee.

11. Grumpy Goat

Got 2 of those as well. :)

12. Richard230

I just ordered the $300 version of the GS-911 and the $30 cable from the BeemerShop. It only took three hours after my order before I received an email that my order had been shipped. :) That sure is a lot quicker then when I order from Amazon. :rolleyes:

Grumpy Goat likes this.
  13. Grumpy Goat

I am looking forward to hearing your review when you get it, even if it is just initial thoughts on hooking it up. The service reminder on my bike has been on for a week now and the bike is coming due for its 25k mile service. If I take the plunge to buy it, I wouldn't need to go to the dealership to reset the service reminder. I have all the consumables (oils, filters, even plugs) ready to be installed.

Richard230 likes this.
  14. Grumpy Goat

UPDATE - Just placed my order. Should get it next week before I really need it for the service to be performed.

15. Richard230

Well..... I received my GS-911 yesterday and so far have not had any luck trying to access the hexcode website. All I get is a statement saying that the website can not be found. I have a Hexcode downloader program on my computer and tried that to register and activate my device, but all I got was an error message. I wonder what is going on? I guess I will try again this afternoon and if that doesn't work, I'll have to contact the BeemerShop. :(

16. Grumpy Goat

Pretty bad when ET can't even phone home .... If I am lucky mine will be delivered today, and also if I am lucky mine won't have this problem. I will check and report back.

Incidentally, what is the error code you are getting? Did you try and see whether the same computer can access the Hexcode website directly? Maybe the website / domain (https://www.hexcode.co.za/) was down.

17. Richard230

The website is back up and running again. I downloaded the downloader, which is the same as the one I already had on my computer from 2 years ago. Unfortunately, every time I attempt to use the downloader to register and activate my new GS-911 nothing happens other than I get an error message that tells me to connect my device, which I do, the device connects to my computer and has a green light blinking, but still and I continue to receive the same error message. See the attached photo of my screen.

Just contacted hexcode's help desk and asked them for help to activate and register my GS-911. I'll report back when I receive a reply.

Attached Files:

• 007.JPG
      007.JPG
      File size:
      1.2 MB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  18. Grumpy Goat

Thanks Richard. Yes, judging from that popup message you may have to rely on Hexcode Support.

I have not got mine yet so maybe tomorrow.

19. Richard230

The Hexcode Help Desk replied that they are aware of the registration/activation problem on Windows 10 (of course! :rolleyes: ) computers and are working on it. They referred me to this explanation on their website: http://www.hexcode.co.za/products/g...ind-my-gs-911usb-blu-device-on-windows-7-8-10

After reading that and following their suggestion to go here: https://www.howtogeek.com/167723/ho...8.1-so-that-you-can-install-unsigned-drivers/ ,my eyes glazed over, I got a brain freeze and my fingers started shaking. :oops: So it will be off to visit my son-in-law, who understands things like this, for his help following the instructions so that I can register my GS-911 - I hope. ;)

20. Richard230

Good news! It appears that Hexcode fixed their problem with the registration process. :) I just received the following reply:

We have found the cause of the device not working. The GS-911 Downloader which was available from our website has been updated to support the new G2 devices: http://www.hexcode.co.za/products/gs-911/downloads

Using their new downloading program, I was able to register and activate my device. Now all I have to do is to locate the computer connection point on my RS. I hope I don't have to dismantle my bike to get to it. :oops:

Lee likes this.