No customization options are available.

Greetings From Libertyville, IL (Considering an R1200RS Purchase)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by TheRidingObsession.com, Jan 1, 2018.

1. TheRidingObsession.com

TheRidingObsession.com Member

Hello, all!

Long time rider and dedicated sport tourer here. I'm CONSIDERING the purchase of an R1200RS and opted to join these forums in hopes that before I do (and likely will) ... what MECHANICAL CONCERNS should I have when I go to my local dealership?

I plan to do a bit of research on my own but if anyone has any recall, "these tend to break", "there's a bug with yada" or any other advice on these lovely machines, PLEASE let me know and hopefully TODAY as I'm going to check my prospect out tomorrow morning.

Best and regards,
    - Robin (https://www.TheRidingObsession.com/)

p.s. (This would be my FIRST BMW!) ... any major obstacles in basic maintenance for these?

ray2 likes this.
  2. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

3. TheRidingObsession.com

It's a '16 (with almost no miles on it!) :cool:

... how big is the '16 generation in terms of years made?

Edit: My Bandit 1200, for example is a 2nd gen made between '01-'05

4. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

I do not think there is anything model specific to look out for. Obviously the usual things when you buy a used bike re. condition, service record, any outstanding finance, does the seller have title.
    What I would say, if you have never ridden a BMW with a boxer engine then take a test ride. Most people come away with a big smile but a few don't get the big twin thing.
    There were some changes in 2017, so read up on those. The most significant was a gearbox change to make the shift assist work better. I'm happy enough with my 2016 bike so I would not advocate you turn down a well priced 2015/16 bike just because of the upgrades. I don't think the best colour was available in 2017 anyway so you will need to buy an earlier bike to get the Lupin blue.

5. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

The RS was introduced in 2015 as a 2016 model.
    The GS was introduced in the US in 2013. It has the same water cooled engine as the RS.
    It's referred to as a water cooled engine but only the heads are liquid cooled. The cylinders are air and oil cooled.

6. TheRidingObsession.com

Good information on all fronts, though my familiarity with simple, carbureted Suzukis has me weary when reading the "take it to the dealer" maintenance philosophy of the BMW brand. This puts me off a bit. I'm just ... not ... quite sure.

Also, it's winter here in Chicagoland, so a test ride might not be an option.

7. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

Someone here went on a holiday to Las Vegas to hire a bike for an extended ride. Quite extreme but I think he went on to buy an RS.
    As for home maintenance, the boxer engine is one of the easiest to work on as everything is accessible. You can do most of the servicing yourself. Many owners do. This forum has lots of information but there are generic forums for BMW and of course, the GS has a load of dedicated forums where much of the information is common to the RS. People ride the GS all around the world where there are no BMW dealers and the bikes keep running
    In the UK we have quite a few independent workshops where you can get your bike serviced at rates much lower than at a franchised dealer. There are tools out there to read error codes, reset service indicators etc.
    The "take it to the dealer" moniker is a marketing ploy which BMW are very successful with. Dealers are smart at planting seeds of doubt in the minds of owners so they buy BMW branded oil (made by Shell but costs 50% more) or take their bike to the dealer for little more than an oil change and some air in the tyres at an intermediate service. BMW are also good at marketing their bikes as super reliable then selling owners an extended warranty just in case they are telling lies. You would probably find the same with modern Suzukis as all brands will spin the same story.

Stick Rockwell and Richard230 like this.
  8. TheRidingObsession.com

Wow. My mind just became a lot more open to things, then. Tomorrow, I'll investigate.
    My *plan* is to hit the dealer at *roughly* 9 a.m. CST (Chicago). I'll have a couple BMW friends on facebook chat + this post open in my phone's browser.

My point: if you're willing to help a newbie as observations/confusion finds it's mark, this would be the page to assist said newbness.

I am excited.

9. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Checking valves, changing plugs and air filter is fairly easy and in the US doing it yourself does not affect the warranty.
    The tool mentioned above to check for faults and reset the service reminder is called a GS-911.
    The RS will require the newer red wifi GS-911.

10. WilliamJ

WilliamJ Active Member

Welcome!
    Just moved from Greggs Landing in May of 2016 and took my RS to Virginia with me. Bought mine from MotorWerks and was my 1st BMW as well after years of Harleys and a couple of Nortons. Great bike!

11. darrell

darrell Well-Known Member Contributor

12. TheRidingObsession.com

I pulled the trigger!

$17k after taxes. '16 with 500 (hundred) miles on it. All of the good stuff built in. 600 mile service already performed. Stored until the day of my choosing, side/top luggage included, GPS module included.

How'd I do?

Scorch, LQB1, Bub and 2 others like this.
  13. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

If it makes you smile, you did good :)
    Sounds like a good price for a next to new bike with luggage and GPS.
    A new one with the Premium package, luggage and GPS lists for around $22,000
    Do you know which GPS it has? Nav V?
    What color?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    Olgry1 and ray2 like this.
  14. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

Libertyville - not exactly "hooligan bike" and wheely territory.
    This bike has that effect....
    I think you did well if you got the luggage, GPS, and full warranty.
    (And of course - some of us think the blue ones are faster....)

(Although 2016s in St. Louis are running in the $11-14k range they are also running much higher mileage. Of course, mileage on a BMW might not mean much below 45,000 miles.)

Did you go through Countryside BMW? For local comparison, I know they had a grey 16RS with <5K miles for $15 a while back - but had the impression this was without some of the nicer features (lupine blue, ABS pro, GPS, luggage, etc.)

darrell likes this.
  15. TheRidingObsession.com

Pics are attached. Now onto the actual forums. Hoping to trade someone their stock seat for my lowered/shaved version.
    As for hooliganism ... gonna MISS that Bandit, I tell ya! -

Attached Files:

Scorch, Hein and Lee like this.
  16. Stick Rockwell

Stick Rockwell Active Member

TRO.com's enthusiasm is infectious! As it should be when you buy such a sweet new ride. I looked at your profile and noticed Keswick. Isn't that just beyond Gordonsville on the way towards I-64 and Charlottesville? Stick.

17. WilliamJ

WilliamJ Active Member

It is. When I go back and forth to see the family in Arlington, usually take 66 to 29 to 15 to Gordonsville, then hop on 231 to 22 to 250. It's about 7 miles before Cville. Some of the best riding roads around all through the back country here.
    Unfortunately it seems that over the last week or 2 I've brought the Chicago weather with me.

18. terry847

terry847 Active Member

TRO.com, sorry you got the slower gray bike but then there are a number of members with like bikes (Grumpy Goat :D). Seriously though, welcome. Do yourself a favor and check out the RS Ride-in for 2018 in Eureka Springs, Arkansas. The first one last year was a blast. Got to meet great folks, make new friends and ride great roads. If ya got any questions about it, contact Darrell, he's the man.

19. Stick Rockwell

Stick Rockwell Active Member

Yes you may have been the culprit, but I'm certain mother nature had something to do with this unusually extreme cold spell. We should follow Grumpy Goats lead in another thread (Forum Announcements, Look who I met from the forum) and attempt to meet when the weather is fairer. I frequently ride to SML via the route you described from home to my best friends lake house there. It's from there that we either enjoy some rides around the area, or venture out on our pursuit of visiting covered bridges in Va. and Wv. Let's touch base in the spring, perhaps, and pick a point to meet, greet and post a picture. Stick.

WilliamJ likes this.
  20. Olgry1

Olgry1 Member

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new bike! I grew up in Mundelein, IL and currently live down south by Joliet.
    As Terry847 mentioned you may want to check out the 2018 Eureka Springs Rally. I went last year as Terry847's guest (had a water cooled RT) and had a great time with a great group of people.