No customization options are available.

GPS bracket

Discussion in 'R1200RS Appearance Mods' started by AusTourer, Dec 4, 2016.

1. TPadden

TPadden Member

Might be. I also have a 2015RT that I've put over 36K miles on. I like the RS's nav, close and low, better than the RT's further and high position. The RT's stock nav seems to be about where the Vortex mount would put the RS's. I think I'd have to sit on a bike with one to really compare.

Tom

2. darrell

darrell Well-Known Member Contributor

Like Grumpy Goat I have the Vortex. It brings the Nav in to your vision without taking your vision off the road. Because of your forward body lean on the RS vs the RT you might find the Vortex to be close enough to you.

3. TPadden

TPadden Member

...... and it would make room for a tankbag :D.

4. TPadden

TPadden Member

Speaking about safety, peripheral vision, and instrument scan, it has always amazed me what the human brain can do. I'll digress with a war story, all war story's should begin with: This is no shit!

I learned to fly Night Vision Goggles with 1st generation NVG's and incompatible cockpit lighting. That means we landed on completely blacked out ships that were underway with a cockpit that was also completely blacked out. We had to look through two tubes, with one eye tube focused to infinity so we could see out, and the other eye tube was focused to about 4-5 ft so we could read the instruments, that's how we flew, shot our approaches, and landed. We actually had to put electrical tape over all our warning lights leaving just a sliver of the master caution light - if we had an emergency we didn't know what it was until after we landed and removed the tape and our goggles. A 90 minute flight resulted in a massive headache but it worked.

Later generation NVG's and cockpit lighting resulted in "cutaway" goggles working much like my current reading glasses. You look through the goggle's to see outside the cockpit and under them to read your cockpit "compatibly" lit instruments.

[​IMG]
    Back to normal programming, sorry about the hijack ........

Tom

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
    To and Fro and Aussie Import like this.
  5. JohnnyRocket

JohnnyRocket Member

Just seen this
    What an elegant solution by WM.Brooks to the relocation of the satnav to the right position...just below line of sight...
    I had considered making my own using the Vortex mounting points... but was worried about adding weight high up the bike...or drilling holes in it.. this solution using lightweight aluminium... and the screen pivot points is inspired... have ordered some materials... cant wait to get started on production.. well done.. I think BMW should adopt this position themselves... looks factory... that i really like!

So glad I joined the forum! ...

duccrazydave and Grumpy Goat like this.
  6. JohnnyRocket

JohnnyRocket Member

Well guys ... after a lot of delays due to materials companies letting me down... i have finally made my own GPS relocation bracket.. this is my second design.. as after i made the first one I found mounting my new GoPro was impossible so I made a different top half of the bracket and kept the rest.. allowing me to slot the GoPro in under the Satnav..
    W.M. Brooks design was used.. (Thank you again!) for the part mounting between the screen pivot points.. with a variation as I was unable to source 3/4 inch Aluminium Square bar.. I was forced to use 1" bar instead.. and shaped the upper part so as not to interfere with the screen mount shroud (made of plastic) I drilled the ends and sleeved it with some plastic vacuum tube i had laying around (Mercedes Benz tube no less!) so as not to wear out the pivot pins... I used the same anti rotation method as Mr Books with a plate underneath... and took this into account when i drilled my end holes (oo er!)
    20170917_082739.jpg
    20170917_082623.jpg View attachment 11183 20170917_082706.jpg 20170917_182408.jpg Originally I used 2x2" aluminium angle and cut out the mounting brackets to size.. but quickly found that on full lock the bar fittings fouled the satnav... (Mr Brooks has bar risers and did not have this issue.. I do not.
    Initially i just made flat extension brackets to lift the satnav higher and double bolted them on(2 each side) ... This placed my satnav just below the top edge of the screen..when in the down position (top screen mount holes) and about 8 mm away from it... all was well.. and after painting and fitting... did about 300miles with that configuration without too many issues at all... no vibration of the Satnav screen.. top of clocks slightly obscured (i am 6 feet 4" tall!) nothing else... great to be able to see the GPS screen in "line of sight" and it instantly became more useful... Im no boy racer...so a full racing tuck behind a partially obscured screen will never be an issue...
    I was not particularly happy with my first effort from an aesthetic point of view... (too many bolts) so I was happy to tackle it again when i could not fit my GoPro Hero Sessions camera into the bracket...
    Now, I do have a MiG machine and am a learner welder... but only on steel... so i decided for my second attempt to make the upper half of the bracket from steel...and bolt it as before to the 1" Aluminium Bar between the windscreen pivots .
    While looking around my garage for some bits of steel to make my bracket from... I came across a joist hanger bracket
    made of steel...
    20170925_124109.jpg 20170925_124108.jpg wasn't particularly heavy but designed to attache a floor joist to a wall with... and ironically.. exactly the right height.. so i decided to use this as the beginning point of my new bracket... it needed some bits to be trimmed off... but was just right for the job.. and would allow my GoPro to nestle in the middle... I added (tac welded) a thick steel plate to the bottom section of the bracket as a platform for the GoPro mount to stick to without the screws getting in the way so they were effectively countersunk.. then gave it all a coat of Black paint...
    20170924_182117.jpg Latest bracket.jpg and after drying overnight refitted it... very happy with the result... the GoPro can be removed when the screen is in the high position... it looks through the screen without any issues... and is much neater with less bolts..and is protected from wind and rain (it is filly waterproof anyway ) and the Satnav now sits about 10mm higher on its newest bracket (compared to my first effort) still behind the screen lip, so the issues of the instruments being slightly obscured is almost eliminated... I would have liked to have it powder coated black... but did not have enough time before my expedition to Europe on Wednesday...so Hammerite smooth will suffice until winter when i will get it powder coated.
    My Satnav is now in the optimum position...and incorporated a place for my GoPro Hero... here are a few pictures of my mount... starting with the original one i made...and then progressing to the final version..
    20170925_114454.jpg 20170925_130257.jpg

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  7. JohnnyRocket

JohnnyRocket Member

a few more pics 20170925_124451.jpg 20170925_114454.jpg 20170925_115146.jpg 20170925_115154.jpg

duccrazydave, lupo, PeTe T and 2 others like this.
  8. lupo

lupo Active Member

9. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Very nice work JohnnyRocket. Love the integration with the GoPro Session and its neat protected location. Might be a bit of a challenge to turn on while riding ... maybe this is done by pulling the windscreen to the same upper position that allows removal, and then maybe you have access to the top "Record" button ...?

10. Jim Evans

Jim Evans Well-Known Member

I must say I'm still very happy with my GPS bracket from Alda. I can see the GPS over my tankbag, it's in range of my multifocals and I don't have it blocking my view of the road like a high mount.

11. wm.brooks

wm.brooks Member

JohnnyRocket,
    Thank you for sharing your solution. I have been thinking of adding a go-pro, and your integration with the GPS bracket provides a good option to experiment with.
    I have just returned from a 3 week plus cross-USA trip (Ottawa-Route 66-San Diego-Utah-Colorado-South Dakota-Wisconsin-Michigan-Ottawa). A lot of GPS use confirmed for me that the GPS mounted at the screen using the pivot points is an excellent location much superior to the stock position; safe, practical and robust.

12. JohnnyRocket

JohnnyRocket Member

Yes you are indeed correct... Windscreen up for button presses and removal of go pro... Slap the screen down to film... Getting some epic footage!!

13. RJC_BMW

RJC_BMW Active Member

Sorry, off topic . . .

Epic = a long narrative poem in elevated style
    Always wonder when I hear this word used exactly what is meant.

14. PeTe T

PeTe T Active Member

Courtesy of google dictionary...

adjective
    adjective: epic
    1. 1.
      relating to or characteristic of an epic or epics.
      "our national epic poem Beowulf"
      synonyms: heroic, long, grand, monumental, vast, Homeric, Miltonian;More
      lofty, grandiloquent, high-flown, high-sounding, extravagant, bombastic
      "a traditional epic poem"
      antonyms: understated
    2. 2.
      heroic or grand in scale or character.
      "his epic journey around the world"
      synonyms: ambitious, heroic, grand, arduous, extraordinary, Herculean;More
      very long, very great, very large, huge, monumental
      "their epic journey through the mountains"
      • informal
        particularly impressive or remarkable.
        "the gig last night was epic"

...so it's kosher, whatever that means.

15. JohnnyRocket

JohnnyRocket Member

Hi Guys,
    Its been a while since I was on here... and in that time Ive been pondering the possibility of evolving the sat nav mount some more...
    after 1300 miles of testing across the fast open plains of spain (no rain !) and the tight twisties of the Pyrenees, I came to the conclusion.. I could do better..
    My first SatNav mount was made in a rather hurried fashion, due to the imminent trip abroad looming... and gave very little testing time before I went.
    My conclusions are.. that the pivot point is the best position to locate the SatNav.. as it benefits from the lack of vibration and superior viewing position compared to the top of the Handlebars, my one complaint though is that the bottom of the mount tended to obscure the top of the speedo, which I didn't think would matter,,, after all.. i wasn't planning on exploring that section of the speedo!! oh how wrong i was... :rolleyes:
    also the warning lights located along the top of the digital section.. were at times obscured for my view also.. which once on the move i realized my sitting position in the garage was slightly different from real life.. this was very annoying..and forced me to sit in a slightly less comfortable hunched position.
    So after some thought on the subject.. i have begun the redesign of my mount.
    I thought the other one looked a little ugly too.. and the locking section made the whole thing too bulky.. So I have started again from scratch... using a 1"x 1" Aluminium bar (couldn't get it in time for my first version..)(EDIT should read -3/4 Inch BAR)
    I have removed the bulky key lock as well... and will just remove the satnav whenever im away from the bike.. as it takes seconds and doesnt require me to find the key !! (Im keyless ride)
    Here are a couple of pictures of my new redesign.. its unpainted at present..as im still making a little mount to go on this to put my GoPro Hero4 Sessions on..behind the screen..... it wont go into its old position as the mount brings the sat-nav much lower and further back... and the room it occupied is now where the satnav sits.. i have an L shaped bracket.. and it will sit forward of the square bar.. behind the sat-nav.. but lower down.. so it wont foul the screen.
    This new mount is much closer to WM Brooks design.. but i have dispensed with the swivel option and rotated the Square-bar into the correct position.. requiring me to put a twist into the ends of the bottom plate that stops it spinning round.. Ive also replace the handlebar mounting bolts with the non satnav ones...cleaning everything up nicely!
    More to follow soon.
    20171206_165007.jpg 20171206_163432.jpg 20171206_164653.jpg 20171206_164735.jpg 20171206_164746.jpg

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  16. wm.brooks

wm.brooks Member

Johnnie Rocket,
    very nice design and execution - Rocket science! Exactly what BMW should have done. From the photos it looks like you used 3/4 inch bar (you mention 1" in the description). I like the clean look of removing the lock on the sat nav, may follow your lead on that. Looking forward to seeing your GoPro solution.
    Bill

17. JohnnyRocket

JohnnyRocket Member

Bill... you are correct 3/4 inch bar ! not 1" ... :oops:

I have made the GoPro mount also... the parts are in the paint process at the moment... should be dry and assembled for pictures at the weekend!
    Thank you for your kind words.. time and patience are my eternal struggle!
    JR

18. swedkg

swedkg Member

I was under the impression that the key lock is an added measure to secure the device on the mount. The release 'button' does not look so safe on its own.

19. JohnnyRocket

JohnnyRocket Member

No the lock was fitted as an anti theft device... the mount is sufficient to hold the SatNav in place... although I might attach a small safety tether to the rear.. just in case!

swedkg likes this.
  20. JohnnyRocket

JohnnyRocket Member

MOUNT 1.jpg MOUNT 2.jpg MOUNT 3.jpg MOUNT 4.jpg MOUNT 5.jpg MOUNT 6.jpg MOUNT 7.jpg MOUNT 8.jpg MOUNT9.jpg MOUNT10.jpg View attachment 12186 View attachment 12186 Update:
    All the parts were rubbed smooth and given three coats of satin black Hammerite spray paint.. and left to dry overnight.. once dry, re-assembly began..
    Locktite -thread lock was used to prevent any screws and bolts vibrating loose..and two no-more-nails double sided sticky pads were used to stick the bottom anti-rotation bar from moving... having removed my previous mount ..i can confirm the previous double sided pads left no permanent damage to the bike.

I then fitted the GoPro 'chair' to the rear of the square bar... giving it a nice vibration free position behind the screen, and protecting it from rain and wind..allowing the microphone to record the sound of the engine, without too much wind noise intervention. (When the goPro is worn on the top of my crash helmet the wind noise above 40mph makes watching footage with the sound on...a bit painful!)
    I have to pop the screen into the higher position to press the record button... once on i can return the screen to the lower position... which I've found most comfortable at all speeds..and a position that produces the least buffeting and wind noise.
    The new Sat Nav position is in my opinion..optimal for viewing, protects the screen from rain..which makes reading it difficult.. and looks a lot neater than the top of the yolk position.. (dangerous in my opinion)

Very happy with the results! :D