No customization options are available.

GPS bracket

Discussion in 'R1200RS Appearance Mods' started by AusTourer, Dec 4, 2016.

1. vat

vat Active Member

So far only the bar stock which I'll cut down tomorrow. I'll pick thru the scrap alum bin for the rest of the materials I need. The bar stock I came across on Friday was 1" x 1" and I had my friend at work machine it down & drill the 1/2" end holes.I may have it all Tig welded together rather than drilled and taped. It helps that we have a metal shop at work and by friend is the machinist.

2. wm.brooks

wm.brooks Member

Vat,
    1" x 1" may work - I like the 3/4", that size seems to fit the proportions of the bike well,and the anti-rotation plate against the 3/4" bar fits nice and close to the pivot mount face, with just enough clearance for a rubber pad between. If you use 1", make sure it clears the plastic cover over the mounting points. The 3/4 " just cleared the cover when the bar was oriented to final position, if is rotated when installing it one has to be careful not to mar the edge of the plastic with corner of the bar.
    Also,
    the anti-rotation plate is screwed on after the bar is installed. Doing so allows the bar to be installed, and the pads to be installed between the plate and the pivot mount and snugged into place as the plate is tightened. If you tig weld the whole thing as a single unit, you won't be able to do that. Tapping the bar for screws is pretty quick.
    Bill

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  3. Lukas

Lukas Member

Hi Bunter
    But which mistake was made from them?
    OK they are using the hightening but the screen is like the original one i think..

4. PeTe T

PeTe T Active Member

Weeeeeeeeell just guessin.....IF the RS is a sportbike then there might be occasions where you may wish to tuck down behind the screen, in which case the last thing you need is a bloody great satnav blocking the view. Just guessing. So to some extent repositioning this device is a compromise - I guess a little disappointing that BMW don't offer a OEM alternative especially as the GS comes with a high mount solution though you dont often hug the tank on a GS. I'd like to see OEM options that allow mods both towards the tourer and the sport end of the spectrum. This bike is a great platform for both and we would all delight in spending our money on the mods if they made them AND it would expand the target demographic of the bike. ie. more 8sales.
    While I'm here hats off to all of you who have shared your designs. All top class.

Jim Evans and Bunter like this.
  5. Bunter

Bunter Active Member

It's difficult to explain but the mistake is that the aluminium mounting block is symmetrical.

Ignore the angles they have used to show the mounting in their video :rolleyes: and assume that the sat nav screen should be near vertical and that is the plane I'm referring to below when I mention vertical vs horizontal.

You'll notice in the video that they use a vertical offset to raise the sat nav height when they use a second adaptor plate for the locking cradle. But the adaptor plate adds horizontal depth which pushes the sat nav nearer the fluid reservoirs, so they don't gain much if anything from the vertical rise. Which is why the sat nav ends up at a crazy angle. If they had made the aluminium block such that it could add vertical height at the point where it's mounted to the bar (i.e. without using an second adaptor plate) the OEM locking cradle + Nav V combo would have worked straight out the box.

The mount I'm now using with the Hornig bar is asymmetrical so it raises the sat nav at the point it attaches onto the bar, rather than having to introduce a horizontal spacer in order to raise the mount in the vertical direction.

Is that clear? I can post pictures of my mount if not?

If Hornig change the design of the aluminium block I expect some royalties, I accept beer at Intermot 2018 ;).

Bill

6. Lukas

Lukas Member

Hi Bunter..
    Please post some pictures of your GPS holder..
    Yes, if you're at the INtermot 2018 i can pay a beer for you!
    But i will bring one from bavaria! ;)

7. Bunter

Bunter Active Member

I'll post when I have time. Re beer I actually meant the guys from Hornig!
    Bill

8. Lukas

Lukas Member

HAHA But then they have to bring one from Bavaria! :D

Have a nice day :)

OldBavarian likes this.
  9. Bunter

Bunter Active Member

Here is the thing I've used to attach the sat nav cradle to the Hornig bar - a gift from a passing BMW mech in a nearby dealer. :)

As you can see it allows the cradle to be raised at the point of attachment because it is asymmetric. So if Hornig had done similar with the aluminium block it would have given more mounting options. It's made for a wider bar but a bit of lead shimming makes it grip the Hornig bar.

Also attached is my view from the seat, sat nav points at my face unlike the Hornig installation video. You'll have to take my word for it but the reservoirs don't clash and neither does the screen in the up position.

Bill

IMG_20170324_181019_DxO.jpg

IMG_20170324_181609_DxO.jpg

10. Lukas

Lukas Member

Hi Bill,
    thanks for the pictures!
    It looks a little bit strange but if it works.

I think the Hornig's will do their best to fix the problems.
    Have a nice day
    Lukas

11. RJC_BMW

RJC_BMW Active Member

How do you keep this from rotating or moving on the aluminiumtube?
    Can you please post a few more picts, maybe from the back and close-ups of the sides as well?
    Finally, if you used a tube, how did you get the screws to attach?
    Thanks.

12. vat

vat Active Member

Did you consider drilling and tapping hole in the alum block instead of using the plastic adaptor block?

13. Bunter

Bunter Active Member

Nope.

14. buransche

buransche Member

I just installed the Hornig bar. I also bought the Zumo adapter as my studies had made me think I needed it.

After getting the bar and aluminum plate mounted and positioned, I felt as though the adapter was not needed --and it wasn't in my case. The bike is stock in this area, but for the addition of Helibars.

Very pleased with the simple kit and the new position.

15. vat

vat Active Member

Installed mine awhile back and it's the best, bring the GPS right up front and center so to speak.

16. Stef

Stef Active Member

Adapter only needed with GPS-supports with locking such as BMW Nav V support.

17. buransche

buransche Member

Yes, and that is why I bought it --as I have the locking Nav V.

It is not necessary with the Helibars, so if anyone would like one...

18. Stef

Stef Active Member

I have the Nine-T handle bars, so OK also.

19. TPadden

TPadden Member

I must be the only one here who rides with reading glasses. The stock mount is in the perfect position for looking through the glasses to "read" the GPS and dash, while looking over for distance where my old peepers still see 20/20. :cool:

PeTe T and Grumpy Goat like this.
  20. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

I found that for reading with my bifocals the stock position was ok.

But for keeping the road ahead in peripheral vision while looking at the GPS it was not so good. I have the Vortex mount and to look at the GPS with bifocals is definitely an improvement in terms of safety.

Since it is also farther away such a location might also work for you since you may be not looking at it through your reading glasses.

TPadden likes this.