No customization options are available.

GPS bracket

Discussion in 'R1200RS Appearance Mods' started by AusTourer, Dec 4, 2016.

1. wm.brooks

wm.brooks Member

I like your solution - what are the fuse hose clamps from/source? I haven't seen any like those before.
    Bill

2. Bub

Bub Active Member

Bunter, I did rotate my levers, and therefore reservoirs, down just slightly as well for extra clearance. I actually think the levers are in a more comfortable position for me now too.

Bunter likes this.
  3. Stef

Stef Active Member

I'm not a reference since I've replaced the original handlebar by the Nine-T one in order to obtain a more upright position (I'm too small :)). But, if some have problems with the original handlebar, and others don't, then the only variable is the position of the brake and clutch handle blocks. Since it's only a question of some mm, changing their position , e.g. more to the extremity of the handlebar or tilting them a bit, could eventually sort out the problem.

Bunter likes this.
  4. stageraider

stageraider New Member

I will contact Hornig too. I have a video that I made of my instaiiation that may help them. I have seen two other installations that had the interference issue with the gps lock housing but the owners told me that they never lock the bars in the full right lock position and could live with it.

Bunter likes this.
  5. Bunter

Bunter Active Member

Hornig have amended their product page for this item. Glad to see my feedback prompted them to check things out :). The page now says:

"Note: The Zumo adapter (Zumo-Ad) is required with a lockable holder (for example, lockable BMW GPS bracket). If handle bar risers are also installed, the adapter must be set upwards. See picture 7."

Picture 7 still looks somewhat angled towards the sky than the face but it's difficult to tell without seeing the whole bike.

https://www.motorcycleparts-hornig....gation-and-Communication/GPS-Mount-44015.html

stageraider likes this.
  6. stageraider

stageraider New Member

I have ordered the adapter...

Bunter likes this.
  7. TexasJock

TexasJock Member

Bill,
    I bought these clamps from Summit Racing. I liked them because they were bare aluminum rather than anodized. eBay has a selection as well but all seem to be coming from the Chinese places.

With my solution it works better with slightly more expensive material so it does not look like a half arsed add on.

Brian

8. TexasJock

TexasJock Member

I may add that I was on the track at the weekend with the RS. Left the GPS in place as a shakedown test. Absolutely rock solid.

9. wm.brooks

wm.brooks Member

With inspiration from Brian (see post above), I put together a GPS mount that also uses the screen pivot arms as the mounting point. The goal was a solid and secure mount that did not require any holes drilled in the bike, did not interfere with the screen and its operation, maintained the adjustability of the GPS mount and placed the GPS above and not obscuring any part of the instruments.
    I have a set of Alan's raised brackets - very nice and allow the SW-Motech tank bag and map holder to fit and still see the GPS - those or Tony's Vortex mount are alternatives to this or other roll your own solutions. But for anyone who enjoys fabricating a solution:
    Materials required are a 6" long 3/4 inch square solid aluminum bar, a foot of 1/8 inch thick 2" aluminum angle, a couple of inches of clear plastic hose (3/8" inside, 1/2" outside diameter, a standard size that happens to be perfect for the requirement), two small square pieces of rubber or double sided tape, and a few 1/2" 8-32 screws. About $10.00 in material.
    To make the mount, a 1/2 inch diameter hole is drilled to a depth of 1/2 inch into each end of the solid square aluminum bar, cut to size to fit between the pivot arms. By removing the two circlips on the arm and removing the screen, the pivot arms can be spread enough to allow fitting the bar.
    Two pieces cut from the plastic hose fit exactly inside the 1/2 holes drilled in the bar, and exactly over each end of the 3/8 diameter pivot arms, providing snug and padded mounting points. The finish on the pivots is protected and the pivot arm can rotate as necessary to adjust the windshield height.
    To prevent rotation of the bar, a plate (see photos below) is made from the aluminum angle long enough to fit against the flat bottom of each side of the screen mount. On assembly, this plate is screwed to the aluminum bar after the bar is fitted to the pivot arms. Two small pads (I used double sided tape) inserted between the plate and the screen mount provide a snug fit.
    The GPS is mounted on brackets made from the aluminum angle and use the OEM mount and mounting screws. The brackets are shaped and GPS mounting holes located to optimize the GPS position. The brackets are screwed to the aluminum square bar, positioned to place the GPS equidistant between the handlebars at full lock.
    The bar is tapped for screws to attach the plate and brackets.
    I did not replace the circlips - with the screen installed, the the pivot arms cannot spread and the inner circlips are not necessary. A small rubber o-ring fitted into the circlip groove on the left side takes up any possible slack.
    I have HeliBars risers installed which move the bars back slightly - a stock set-up will likely need to be adjusted to position the GPS in a manner that clears the bars on full lock.
    I am pleased with the result. No modifications are made to the bike, the mount is secure and solid and the GPS and screen remain fully adjustable.
    Pictures below, the mount parts unpainted, painted and assembled, and installed.
    Bill
    RS GPS mount 1.jpg
    RS GPS mount 2.jpg

RS GPS mount 4.jpg RS GPS mount 3.jpg
    RS GPS mount 5.jpg

Pep, Hein, Grumpy Goat and 13 others like this.
  10. TexasJock

TexasJock Member

Very nice. Now we are getting somewhere using these pivot brackets. It just seemed so obvious to me that this is where the gps should be fitted. Wonder why Hr Fritz did not design it that way. Go get a job at BMW. Munich is a lovely city.

11. wm.brooks

wm.brooks Member

Brian,
    thanks. The use of the pivot brackets is only obvious after you suggested it, but I think it is an elegant and compact solution that puts the GPS in the right place. By the way, there are 5 pictures in my post (my computer shows 3 full pictures and two jpeg symbols that are also pictures but must be "right clicked" and "opened" to see them - may be just my computer). I can't try the mount position out yet - we still have snow on the ground.
    Bill

12. stageraider

stageraider New Member

The adapter arrived and I have installed it. It addresses the clearance problem with the BMW OEM cradle lock and the clutch master cylinder as well as clearing the windscreen. After several trial fits I realized that you have to use both parts of the original mount to push the unit far enough forward to clear the windscreen. This requires 4 new stainless M4x40 socket cap screws as the originals are not long enough. Project complete and I am very pleased with the end result.

Attached Files:

Bunter likes this.
  13. Stef

Stef Active Member

Have been riding about 500 km now, stays stable, even at 150 kmh on highway no vibrations.

stageraider likes this.
  14. Flat-Twin

Flat-Twin Member

I was not pleased with the position of the Navigator V too. Tried Alda's mount, but still not the ideal solution. Get inspired by the many ideas from this forum and build my own alternate navholder from some 12mm diameter aluminiumtube and 2 screws. Now this is a perfect position for the navi.
    upload_2017-3-19_16-27-0.jpeg

upload_2017-3-19_16-27-25.jpeg

upload_2017-3-19_16-26-21.jpeg

stageraider likes this.
  15. Lukas

Lukas Member

I checked the Hornig website again and again and finally they made a new video of the mounting..
    I wrote an email to them and a week later there was the new video!

I think there won't be any problems again with the mounting....

stageraider likes this.
  16. wm.brooks

wm.brooks Member

17. Flat-Twin

Flat-Twin Member

Hy, the line of sight also depends on your height. I'm approx. 1.80 meter and the sight to the instrumentcluster is fine. Just a minor part of the speedometer is covered (above 180 Km/h), but this is negligible. Driving view is just like on the first two pictures.
    Small hole (5mm) must be drilled on both sides of the screen mount. Looks like plastic, but's an aluminium alloy. Easy to drill.

18. Bunter

Bunter Active Member

I disagree, look at the angles they have to use to get the bars to clear. @5:15 @8:30 @9:30 @11:05 and @14:55. OK they used a bike with risers on and a non-standard screen but some of those mounting angles have the screen almost horizontal not pointing towards the rider at all. The bar mount is nice and worth getting but they cocked up the design of the aluminium block and they don't seem to have realised their mistake (or are unwilling to correct it).

Fortunately, while discussing the price of the S1000XR sat nav mount (no locking cradle) as a possible solution to the problem in my local BMW shop I was overheard by a friendly mechanic who donated to me a sat nav bracket he had sat in his tool box unused for the last 5-10 years or so. It locks onto the Hornig bar, puts the OEM locking cradle in a position which clears the bars, points at my face and doesn't foul the screen. Perfect.

stageraider likes this.
  19. vat

vat Active Member

So I had my friend ,make are up the 6" long 3/4" x 3/4" bar stock to make one of these. However it is to long to fit where yours is shown. On my bike it needs to be 5 1/16" long.

20. wm.brooks

wm.brooks Member

Vat, the 6" length referenced for the bar, and the lengths of tube and angle are the pre-cut bill of materials I suggest be obtained - note for example that I say in my post that the bar has to be cut to size to fit between the pivots. You won't need anywhere near a foot of the 2" angle, but it is a convenient size to buy and provides some extra for trial and error in sizing the brackets. The bar is easily cut with a band saw, a 1/4" 10 tooth/inch wood cutting blade will work fine, and is what I used. A cut-off wheel would also work. The final length you mention of 5 1/16" sounds right.
    Have you got the mount installed? I can't ride with it until the spring, but I think it looks good, it clears everything, and should work really well.
    Bill