No customization options are available.

GPS bracket

Discussion in 'R1200RS Appearance Mods' started by AusTourer, Dec 4, 2016.

1. AusTourer

AusTourer Active Member

Hi All just got this bracket to hold my Nav5 GPS have fitted it all up and nice and easy and looks good on the bike. will be doing some long runs to see how it feels and how easy it is to read it. if any are interested go to https://www.motorcycleparts-hornig....gation-and-Communication/GPS-Mount-44015.html. Have attached a PDF doc that show's it all fitted on the bike sorry for a some of the poor images.

Attached Files:

2. Romany

Romany Member

Looks great.

3. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Looks neat but I can't see how it's attached.

4. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

did you look at the 2nd picture that shows it is a frame like a soccer or hockey goal post?

5. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Yes, but all the picture are so blurry I can't see how it's attached to the fairing.

6. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Let us know if the mount has any flex on rough roads.

7. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

I think it may attach to the 2 forward mounting screws on the infill panels either side of the instrument cluster.

8. AusTourer

AusTourer Active Member

sorry for the pic but yes it attaches with the top screws for the front panel. also for those with the bar raisers you can leave or not the alum block as I found out with my bar raisers did not have the full turn lock but the good news is if you undo the four bolts holding the gps bracket together and remove the metal bar that is used to hold the end screws to it and fit it back onto the new bar on the bracket it fits very well and you have the full turn lock again. been riding to work about 35 km each way and no flex there or vibs so good so far will be doing some rough roads over xmas so will keep you all posted on that.

9. AusTourer

AusTourer Active Member

Hi all hope these new pics will show it a bit better

Attached Files:

stageraider likes this.
  10. PeTe T

PeTe T Active Member

Nice, neat unit. So how has it been after a month? With the "goal posts" fixed only at one end I would expect potential for flex and therefore vibration that could bash the bejesus out of the Nav unit over time. Do you find the bracket rigid and the anchor points solid enough to overcome this?
    The installation video on the web site shows it's very easy to install. And Grumpy Goat's earlier video for an alternative bracket shows it's easy to re-route the cable. Are any additional parts required to finish the job - perhaps shorter screws to replace the ones that held the original Nav 5 mounting brackets?
    Do you think the Ram Ball Adaptor can be used to add a phone on the same bracket - and if so what likelihood of flex and vibration as queried above.

11. AusTourer

AusTourer Active Member

Hi Tete T the bracket has been great and no flex or vibration from it just sits there realy good and easy to see the Nav 5. yep very easy to install and it comes with all the screws to fit so no extra parts to buy or find to fit. the ram ball adaptor would be a very tight fit on the bracket but you could fit it where the original Nav 5 bracket fitted in the middle of the handle bars. had a look at the Grumpy Goats video and its a fidly thing to mount with this its does not need any cables moved apart from the nave 5 cable and that's easy, did not have to undo any thing just moved the nave 5 mount over to the bracket and screwed it on.

12. Romany

Romany Member

Has anyone used this with bar risers? I'd be worried that it might bang up against the brake or clutch reservoir.

13. AusTourer

AusTourer Active Member

HI Romany I have the 25 mm bar risers on the bike and just a matter of moving the mount with the nav5 on it to the right spot and it does not touch either of them I still have full lock left and right with out hitting the nav5

14. iPaul

iPaul Active Member

Hi AusTourer,

Looks good! In your pictures you have your screen in the higher position. Can you put the screen in the lower position without fouling the SatNav mount?

Cheers,

Paul

15. AusTourer

AusTourer Active Member

Hi IPaul its not a problem there is plenty of room with the screen on the lower sitting.

16. Bub

Bub Active Member

I installed one of these last month as well. With it being winter here, I've only put about 100 miles on the bike since installing it, but I'm very pleased.

Hornig GPS Mount.jpg

stageraider and Lee like this.
  17. AusTourer

AusTourer Active Member

Yep Bud good pic and does make the handle bars nice and free looking now and the GPS is now in a spot you can see it. I have the tinted Puig screen on which helps with the sun glare and also a sun visor on the nav 5 as well.

18. Stuart Hawker

Stuart Hawker Member

19. Stuart Hawker

Stuart Hawker Member

Hi there, thanks for your info and pictures of the Hornig sat nav bracket, I was not happy with sat nav position having to look down and away from road, so your bracket review made me decide to contact Hornig, who agreed to supply the bracket only, ( as I did not need the block fitting peice ) the NavV has a block attached which fits perfectly.
    Ordered last week and it arrived today, fitted simply and really pleased with solid fitting and position.

20. Stef

Stef Active Member

Installed it last week and made a 150 km testride today. Easy installation and no vibration at all. Just needs a lick of paint lo let the vertical straps blend in better with the fairing.