No customization options are available.

GP Shift

Discussion in 'R1200RS Tech and Performance Chat' started by Hein, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Hein

Hein New Member

Hi Guys and gals
    I have been using GP/Race shift pattern on all my previous bikes, is there a way to change it to race shift pattern with the gear shift assist pro fitted.

ray2 likes this.
  2. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

I'm also a fan of this shifting pattern. Before the rational side of my brain (and my wife) had their say, I was looking at the RR - no problem making the change on that model.

With the RS, I believe you have to go to the aftermarket for a suitable mechanical fix. You might check with the guys at Sato Racing as most of their products allow a GP shift pattern. https://www.satoracing.com/rearsets_BMW_R1200R.htm

I also saw an old (2005) post on a GS forum, which gives the basic mechanical overview of messing with the linkages to reverse the shifting.... I took a 45 second look at it on the RS and decided I should go for a ride instead. http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/how-to-gp-shift-an-r1200gs.102240/

(The pro shift assistant, though developed for racing, is technology that is limited to shifting without manipulation of clutch and throttle. It won't reverse the shifting pattern.)

3. Hein

Hein New Member

Coming from a racing back ground I really prefer it, I have the pro shift fitted and love it. I had an idea I need to go after market.
    The Sato shows standard shift but I will drop them a mail. Thanks for the info.

4. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

Changing to a race pattern shouldn't affect the GASP.

ray2 likes this.
  5. ray2

Please post the results. I assume that if were easy, they would have done it. If it's not reasonable, they usually have someone who can tell us why.

6. ray2

I hate when I start re-thinking projects I gave up on for good reason, months ago. Especially when I know smarter guys than I have already thought this through.

Old style BMW shifter - looks like one can simply flip the final shift lever (1) 180 deg. so the selector shaft (2) lines up on the opposite side - which still works with Yamaha sport bikes and others.

[​IMG]

S1000RR handles the selection of shift pattern by allowing distal mount of the selector rod (3) into either hole on the foot shift lever. (8 points to the hole for GP shift pattern).
    [​IMG]

R1200 RS (below).... 13 is the shift assistant pro which takes the place of the final shift lever.... I looked again, and then went for another ride. (68 deg F /20 C today.) It's a mechanical solution, but nothing to be done that wouldn't take a lot of time.

(A quick rant.) You know - they market the bike with only 2 others in the sportbike category and make us targets for the insurance industry, but then they don't bother to provide us with any sportbike "stuff." I mean the "HP" foot pegs are rubber and go even closer to the ground. So, still waiting for the S1000RS - though I think it's going to be called Yamaha or Kawasaki when it finally arrives. (It would be wishful thinking to believe the mothership monitors these fora.)
    [​IMG]

7. Peter Burridge

Peter Burridge Well-Known Member Contributor

The HP footrests do have longer 'hero blobs' but the pegs themselves are shallower and the bolts protrude at a different angle. I've put old against new and the HP have about the same clearance with the bolts in, much more with them removed.

Peter

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  8. Aussie Import

Isn't the modification one to the gear lever to move the anchor point above the lever pivot? If necessary maybe a longer rod?

Jim Evans and Peter Burridge like this.
  9. Hein

Hein New Member

This is the reply I received from Sato Racing:

Thank you for your interest in Sato Racing products!

We try to make GP shift versions of our rear sets as much as possible, since that is a major reason people buy aftermarket rear sets, so the reason our R1200RS rear sets are stock shift only is most likely because our engineers couldn't figure out a good way to make it work with GP shift.

ray2 and Peter Burridge like this.
  10. Hein

Hein New Member

I agree, I had the same idea as well but unfortunately I am 6 weeks away from my bike and can not do the measurements. If need be I will machine a new lever with new linkage.

11. Peter Burridge

Peter Burridge Well-Known Member Contributor

I think that the rod needs to be re-located on the other side of the lever pivot point, and a similar distance away from it. That would mean making a new lever or modifying an old one. Then the rod might end up at an impractical angle?

Peter

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  12. Hein

Hein New Member

That crossed my mind as well, maybe just spacing the lever to keep the rod on the inside.

13. Aussie Import

I posted too quickly about this modification. You will need a new mounting plate and a serpentine mount to keep the reversed linkage reasonably aligned and so it does not foul your boot.
    It can be done, but not easily.

ray2 likes this.
  14. Tony101

Tony101 Active Member

How about a see-saw linkage to convert pull to push? Might save trying to circumvent the swing arm pivot.

duccrazydave and Hein like this.
  15. Aussie Import

Clever! You will need space for a new pivot point.