No customization options are available.

Gloves when riding in France

Discussion in 'Helmets, Leathers, Boots and Gloves' started by DABs, Sep 18, 2017.

1. DABs

DABs Active Member

Just reposting something seen on a non-motorcycle forum. I haven't verified it.

Dave

"If you are one of the thousands that ride on the continent make sure your gloves are up to spec. New rules in France state you must have CE approved gloves on.
    They must have a label stating they they reach EN 13594 regs. On the spot fine if either the rider or pillion found with incorrect gloves on. Fines are set to 68 € per person, reducing to 45€ if paid within 15 days.
    And guess what... Already getting reports of eager gendarmes catching 'those stoopid rosbif' on the A16 heading south after getting off the boat".

2. Leon.P.

Leon.P. Well-Known Member

No !. Really ??o_O:rolleyes::eek::confused::(

3. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

I don't believe the tales of woe about gendarmes. You rarely see one unless in Paris or port. The other thing is, why would you not wear gloves that do not meet safety tests? It's been illegal in Europe to sell something as safety equipment for decades.

m1bjr likes this.
  4. DJBee

DJBee Active Member

This relates also to a revived thread on the UK riders section 'Riding in France'.

I have just had a look at all my gloves and not one of them has this label attached. My two year old RST gloves have this: French protocol level 1EC Type-Examination issued by CTC Groupe, Lyon, France. Notified body number 0075. My older Gerbing heated gloves have a label 'CE' but no codes or other information and my much older (8 years?) Frank Thomas gloves have no CE references at all. All these gloves were expensive, top of the range, Goretex lined and although none have been tested in a crash are excellent designs. I am not at all inclined to buy another pair of expensive gloves to go to France. Can anyone else provide further information on this or suggestions as to how one finds out?

Much as I love France, the French and la vie française, I am becoming increasingly uneasy about riding a bike there again. I have ridden many thousands of miles for many years in France with only wonderful experiences and do not like the feeling of possible persecution that I am getting.

5. DABs

DABs Active Member

6. DJBee

DJBee Active Member

DABs.
    Thanks for the link but I am still not sure what the real position on the ground would be. If you were to be stopped and your gloves did not have the new CE label, however good the glove is, as far as I can see you would be either fined or 'verbalised'. Do we all now have to go and buy new gloves in order to feel secure in France?

The publicity video made no reference to CE labels but was simply pointing out the stupidity of not wearing gloves at all. Rather effective I thought!

7. DABs

DABs Active Member

I read it that existing CE marked gloves are still legal, but you may still be fined.

Dave

8. DJBee

DJBee Active Member

Hmmmm.

9. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

Not a lot of help - I already cut off the 'waterproof label, ce label, care label' and any other material inside the gloves (motorrad) so too late to worry. I only use france now to access the shuttle and head north towards Belgium etc.

10. boxter

boxter Well-Known Member

On my tours down to the Alps I just put destination in my sat nav with toll roads excluded and I get a terrific ride through Belgium, Luxembourg and Germany, France is a no no.
    But don't get upset with scare mongering, reflective material/break down hi vis/drink testers/sat navs with camera detection ( not an issue with up to date Garmin's now ), correct helmet spec/ glove spec/ no bare legs or pumps, it could drive a man insane, just ride,..........

Ged

11. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

Haha. You all do get yourselves into a pickle. French plod have the occasional speed trap but DGAF about much else if you cough up the speed tax.
    Germany on the other hand, the locals will grass you up, especially Bad Wurttemberg...

12. DJBee

DJBee Active Member

Yes but,,,

I have been stopped in the last few years several times and have been breathalysed three times. These stops have always been for routine document checks. I do not have a problem with that and on several of those occasions the Police (or Gendarme on one occasion) have gone around to the back of the bike , seen the UK plates and just waved me on. These checks were aimed primarily at the French riders (and drivers) as far as I could see. The Police were always perfectly polite and pleasant in my experience but also obviously not to be messed with.

I hear what Boxter is saying and obviously I would never ride anywhere without helmet, gloves, protective clothing etc. BUT if you could get nicked for not having the right label on your gloves- that to me is a different thing. The stress that I would feel not being certain as to whether I was squeaky clean in terms of some picky piece of bureaucratic nonsense would ruin my day, especially if I felt it could be 'manipulated' by a mendacious copper! It could indeed drive a man insane!

13. Stef

Stef Active Member

Gloves need CE marking. A bummer for BREXIT fans :)

14. boxerboy

boxerboy Well-Known Member

Hopefully the gendarmes will be pragmatic about this. Frankly I think riding without gloves is plain stupid, so mandatory use of motorcycle gloves makes sense to me. Hopefully for those of us wearing appropriate (if not CE marked) attire this will not become an issue unless we draw attention to ourselves for some other more obvious offence.

15. Willy

Willy Well-Known Member

Just checked my gloves and they have the correct CE marking, the question now is how long the print will remain legible on the label :confused:

16. boxter

boxter Well-Known Member

Just curious, how many members in the EU have helmets that are older than 3 years ?

Ged

17. Willy

Willy Well-Known Member

My helmet is the same age as me;)

Brian63 likes this.
  18. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

Lot's as Arai and Shoei state a five year service life subject to being within seven years after manufacture date to allow time in retail chain.

19. boxerboy

boxerboy Well-Known Member

Guess my Shoei is close to the 3 year mark and I reckon I'll keep it for another couple of years.

20. eu_rider

eu_rider New Member

Yea, France is running out of money supporting all the "free-loaders" in their country. Just makes sense to create a source of revenue from law abiding motorcyclists! (-: They’ve also recently updated their emissions guidance, https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/en/.