No customization options are available.

Givi or Shad hard top?

Discussion in 'R1200RS Appearance Mods' started by Javier, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Javier

Javier New Member

Hi,

I have some doubst between Givi Maxia 4 NNT and Shad SH48 tops. I don´t know which one of them will fit better and look better. Any comments from owners will be appreciated.
    I still don´t know if I should buy the original side cases or go for relatively cheaper dealers such as Shad SH36.
    Thanks guys

2. bal

bal New Member

hi
    Try Fast bike Bits. they do a complete shad top box and panniers set for the r1200rs £499.
    They look ok as well.

3. buntsb

buntsb Member

I have the shad sh45 with Bmw side cases it looks good fits well and holds two full face helmets

4. Georryan

Georryan Member

I have the bmw side cases and the Shad SH48 top case. They look just fine together. I opted for the bmw side cases as they kept my overall width a little shorter. I don't like lane splitting with the side cases on, but after having someone measure the shad side cases on the bike, I wasn't sure I could do it with those on the bike at all.

The SH48 top case isn't too tall, and seems to use its space well. It also has two pads for the pillion to lean back against which is a plus.

Javier likes this.
  5. Javier

Javier New Member

Thank you buntsb

6. Javier

Javier New Member

Any pics?

7. Bacaruda

Bacaruda Active Member Contributor

A buddy of mine have Shad panniers and Givi V47 top box (with my adapter plate) on his 2015 R1200R. Served him very well on a 2-up trip from sweden to italy this summer. Quite a bit less expensive than OEM and swallow alot more luggage.

Attached Files:

Stixx likes this.
  8. Javier

Javier New Member

Looks pretty good. I hope de 55 litres top does not show too bulky on the bike. I will use the top only for long trips but the panniers will stay on the bike.

Thank you

Stixx likes this.
  9. Beckers

Beckers New Member

I have a Givi top box. Don't bother with panniers as I only need the extra space once a year on my touring trip. I strap a soft bag to the rear seat for that. Top box alone is fine for my day to day needs.

Attached Files:

Javier likes this.
  10. Stixx

Stixx Active Member

I've owned the V47 on a previous bike and wished I'd kept it as it really looks great on the RS. Especially if you opt for the clear lenses and the silver patch on top.
    That said, I have the BMW side cases and top case now and they all just WORK so well in the real world and I love that they are all keyed as one with the bike. Of course the keyless bike option makes that point a bit moot. Never the less I really LIKE my OEM cases .. they load better than any I've had from BMW

11. Bacaruda

Bacaruda Active Member Contributor

Comparing pictures of RS with Givi V56 vs V47. (hope it was ok to include your bike Paul). v47.jpg V57.jpg

Stixx and Javier like this.
  12. Stixx

Stixx Active Member

I bought the GIVI V47 and found it to be a wonderful proportion and bought the proper GIVI aluminum tail rack to support it , on my previous Triumph Explorer. I also wired the ADMore lighting kit for it and loved the bright LED extra visibility it provided. When I Traded the EXP for the RS I bought the aluminum GIVI tail rack for the Monkey racks which is model specific for the RS and looks 200% better when the top box is not on the bike. That said I went back to the OEM top box for my RS and sold the GivI kit to my friend who has a EXP and sold him the rack and lighting kit then I returned the rack because the Canbus does not work properly with that kit and I wanted more visibility so I bought the Clearwater lighting system which includes the running lights and LET flashing brake light . Very happy with all as BMW makes a wonderful bag to go inside the top box you can carry all your travel goodies and extras inside it and when you get to the hotel or camp ground you just take it out and walk in with it strap and all. Very convenient. All in I don't think I want another huge top box hanging off the back of the bike like they do . Weight transfer to behind the rear wheel is not in my view a good thing and the bigger the box the more we tend to stuff into it. Also I like that all my bags are key'ed to the bike . Kinda moot since I bought the keyless but at least I only have to carry one key on my FOB to operate the seat , bags, GPS etc. Also I bought an extra metal one to not have to use the kinda flimsy one which is folded into the FOB. Ah but I digress.

Attached Files:

13. Javier

Javier New Member

There is a big difference! Thanks, that helped me a lot

Stixx likes this.
  14. Mattblack000

Mattblack000 Member

Was in two minds myself regarding topbox. Then i discovered that the vario box from a GS LC fits on the factory rack without modification. think it only holds one helmet though (I'm a Han Solo rider!!!).

Stixx likes this.
  15. Stixx

Stixx Active Member

I had one on my GS and liked it a LOT. Not sure how it will look but since it fits your rack it would me fun to see how it goes with your RS ....
    Or as one poster used to say on a forum far away, " This thread is worthless without pictures..."

LOL

16. Mattblack000

Mattblack000 Member

Well looked okay to me in the showroom and to be honest, I need the practicality which outweighs the aesthetics. I'll post some photos when i pick the bike up!

17. Stixx

Stixx Active Member

I think you will love it and to be able to expand it when traveling is so nice. Then there is the packing convenience of a square?rectangular box. Not a bad way to go
    I look forward personally to seeing how it looks on there. They make two versions of the vary one all black and one with aluminum cladding, I am assuming you are talking about the solid black one .

18. saizou

saizou Member

The V47 is a fantastic choice. I bought one with the silver lid and it pairs well in size with the OEM cases. The red accent just finishes it perfectly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Javier likes this.
  19. Javier

Javier New Member

Definitely the V47 is going to be my choice. Thanks

20. folagana

folagana Well-Known Member Contributor