No customization options are available.

Getting your leg over

Discussion in 'General R1200RS Discussions' started by m1bjr, Apr 12, 2018.

1. m1bjr

m1bjr Active Member

The RS is all dressed up with nowhere to go.
    So tonight we will have some fun with the new luggage.
    My girl and I are both 5'11" and medium built.
    She can swing a long leg over and ride pillion fairly easily.
    But with side cases and topbox?
    Tried it earlier and I think there must be an 'established' method for the pillion to board this thing?

Photos on request (before Bravo asks)
    :)

Leon.P. and Bravo like this.
  2. Ed Greenberg

Ed Greenberg Member

Here are a couple of videos that may help. (I searched YouTube for "passenger how to mount motorcycle with a top box.") The second video shows how the rider (not the passenger) mounts the bike, but it provides a hint.

BTW, long legs should help. If you mount your bike first (contrary to the first video I listed), your passenger may be able to stand on one passenger peg, lean forward over the seat to help keep the bike balanced, bend the opposite knee and thread her leg through the gap between you and the top box.

Leon.P. and m1bjr like this.
  3. boxter

boxter Well-Known Member

When my daughter rides as a pillion I put my legs forward and lean forward and she steps on my footpeg and spins leg over, once over draws back to the pillion pegs. She had to do the same with my z1000sx's with luggage on.

Ged

m1bjr and Ed Greenberg like this.
  4. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

My wife is a short 5'-1", has short legs, not very athletic but walks a fair bit, and does not particularly like to go on my motorcycle at all but only does so to shut me up.. There is an established procedure for us and it is the same regardless of whether the panniers are on as well (top box is always on).
    1. Rider gets on the bike which is on level ground and already set up for 2 riders, with pillion footpegs already extended.
    2. Bike is in neutral, front brake is applied and both rider's feet firmly on the ground. Rider instructs pillion when to mount.
    3. Pillion starts to mount slowly from the left side with left foot on left peg, while placing left hands on rider's left shoulder and right hand on rider's right shoulder.
    4. The pillion swings right leg over the pillion seat (while being warned not to scuff the panniers, which are scuffed by even a gentle breeze!) and, while balanced on the left leg and braced by both hands, carefully searches for the right footpeg, finds it and then sits down slowly.
    Without the panniers, the only difference is speed of the mounting process. While mounting or dismounting I always lean slightly forward to provide her some extra room.

andybima, Hein, Leon.P. and 8 others like this.
  5. Ed Greenberg

Ed Greenberg Member

My wife is also “vertically challenged” (about 5’ even), as am I at 5’ 7”, or 170 cm for the metrically inclined. We mount up very much as you describe, but she gets on from the right side because her right leg is stronger and longer than her left.

m1bjr and Grumpy Goat like this.
  6. Bravo

Bravo Plenty in the tank Contributor

Steve...... Given the title of your thread I was going to answer your querie without any smut but GG has beat me to it,Mrs Bravo climbs aboard the bike as GG describes,she just has to lift her leg a bit higher when we got the top box on,luckily she's still flexible,That's one of the many benefits of being married to me:).
    Btw Mrs Bravo never tries to get on or off the bike til I'm ready and give her the word(saves a lot of potential embarrassment).

7. duccrazydave

duccrazydave Active Member

The only way my wife (5’4”) rides with me is with the top box installed. She feels more secure that way. She gets on the bike first, then slides back to the passenger seat.

m1bjr and Bravo like this.
  8. Bravo

With that dodgy sidestand?:eek:

duccrazydave and m1bjr like this.
  9. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm Well-Known Member

What if she had her own bike?

m1bjr likes this.
  10. m1bjr

m1bjr Active Member

Thanks guys, we managed it on the centre stand earlier.
    Wasn't elegant, but worth at least a 6.5 for comedic value.
    Gave the neighbours a chuckle :)

Grumpy, I like your style. I work on nukes and your comment reads like a carefully authored Commissioning Document :)

11. Bravo

You'll find it easier just on the sidestand mate,you stand up bracing the bike and your girl heaves herself on.
    Ps.... see you next weekend.

Leon.P. likes this.
  12. boxerboy

boxerboy Well-Known Member

A
    Although my wife and I are much taller than GG and his wife, we follow exactly the same procedure. And I share the view on the ease of scuffing the panniers, could the paintwork be any less durable!

Bravo likes this.
  13. Leon.P.

Leon.P. Well-Known Member

Grumpy is Spot on. The only extra I do is put the side stand down.:)

Barbelson and Bravo like this.
  14. duccrazydave

duccrazydave Active Member

Compared to my Ducati, the RS stand is almost concrete like in its stability:D

m1bjr and Bravo like this.
  15. m1bjr

m1bjr Active Member

Hell yes!
    I have an early 996 with a suicide stand - thought I had bent it yesterday parking on a slope. But I gather it was always shaped like a banana :)

duccrazydave and Bravo like this.
  16. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Hehehe ... I do work on / approve procedures work instructions as part of my current job ... :D

17. Barbelson

Barbelson Well-Known Member

I guess I may be on my own here, but for me one of the absolute joys of being on my RS is riding solo! The freedom of travel, and the more adventurous speed, both on the straight and manoeuvring on bends and roundabouts, etc., is exhilarating. And of course the mental freedom to enjoy the ride, scenery, weather, et al is what it’s all about for me. With a passenger, everything is, naturally, much more tame.
    Nice to have company sometimes, but not a touch on solo riding.
    So my take on this thread is to find ways to stop the passenger from getting on the bike in the first place!

Grumpy Goat likes this.
  18. SoCal RS

SoCal RS Active Member Contributor

My GF is 5'1" barely, I'm 6'3". This method works for us, me standing next to the bike holding the bars just incase.

duccrazydave and Bravo like this.
  19. Stef

Stef Active Member

You courageous bastard :)

20. Bravo

Oh Barbie....... No.