No customization options are available.

Germany beckons - again

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Boxerboy55, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Boxerboy55

Boxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Box and panniers test loaded and just enjoyed an 85 mile shake down to ensure nothing fell off and my spanner work has successfully passed the 48 hour warranty :)

Bike has had a once over and all vitals changed.
    1 new and 1 nearly new tyre so we're ready for anything the autobahn can throw at us.

Since getting this bike in 2015 it has become a habit that in September I jump on the Newcastle ferry for a quiet break to enjoy some different roads with normally some military museums / memorials and/or some bike and car related venues.

Skipping the Frankfurt auto show this year, but aiming for some Dambuster history and Bastogne.
    Will go as far as Harz region for some nice twisties.

Can only cross all my fingers for mostly decent weather.
    IMG_7540.JPG

ray2 likes this.
  2. Lennart

Lennart Member

Hey
    Why those orange, black and yellow stickers on the window and suitcases

3. Graham Lewis

Graham Lewis Active Member Contributor

have a great ride and enjoy the amazing countryside down in the harz region. stayed in bastogne a couple of times. this year stayed in Esche sur Sure not so happy with the hotel we stayed in but there was another Hotel in the village which was great, weird but great. name was Hotel De la Sure,

ride safe

4. James Bagley

James Bagley Well-Known Member

Sounds like a fun trip. It would be nice to be so close...I've friends on the continent.

5. Bazza Beemer

Bazza Beemer Well-Known Member

Hey Boxerboy - is that a turbulence reduction tape I see on the top of your screen?

6. Boxerboy55

Ok. The tape!

The forward facing "black" tape on the panniers is actually reflective White. I have some on my recently removed tinted PB screen too. It's subtle.

The Yellow on the side lids is - reflective Yellow.

And unsurprisingly, on the rear of each box is reflective Red.

My recently chopped down OE screen is sporting a couple of bits of old fashioned reflective White that were lying on a shelf.

The custom strip of Orange Tank Tape at the top of the screen is a last minute idea I'm trying, simply to make my bike easier to find in the bowels of a North Sea ferry. Or in any other busy bike park.
    And just maybe - it'll catch the eye of a dozy driver as I come within striking range. Not sure how long it will survive.

ps - thankfully I don't recognise any of the dodgy hotels mentioned above :) IMG_7544.JPG IMG_7548.JPG IMG_7549.JPG

7. Boxerboy55

IMG_7554.JPG I forgot 1 last important sticker.
    This one reminds me which of the 2 pannier bags do I remove for my night on the ferry.

The important 1 with my change of clothing and all things necessary for my North Sea "hotel room" and evening of live entertainment.
    I'd be seriously put out if I arrived in my cabin with only a selection of tee shirts, but no shoes or toiletries :)

I chose the RH pannier as it will be the upper/higher one when the bike is tied down on the side stand. Hopefully easier to access whether the bike is parked on deck against the Right or Left wall.

Andy Griffiths likes this.
  8. Bazza Beemer

Bazza Beemer Well-Known Member

Interesting about the chop job on the OE screen. I was pondering the same action so must ask does the screen vibrate more? I ask with the thought of cracks perhaps starting because I cannot figure out why the factory put that edge there other than for strength. I am only going to cut that funny edge off no more.

9. Boxerboy55

I'd say less vibration - not more. It's now a stubby screen.

I was careful to ensure there was no Stress Raising crack where my 2 saw cuts meet in the middle of the screen.
    It only takes a bit of careful filing to ensure the shallow Vee is absolutely smooth.

I suggest it would be a waste of time and effort to simply cut the "edge" off the standard screen.

You (obviously) get more breeze hitting you upper torso, but that takes more weight off the arms at speeds of 60+ (I guess).
    Your jacket catches more bugs around the shoulders.

On our UK roads, I find the lower position is better most of the time, but cruising at motorway speed I sometimes set the cruise and use both hands to pull the screen up to the higher position - and vice versa when traveling slower. Neat.

- as an aside, my own personal best for cruising with "No Hands" was in the USofA on a Hardly DrivingMachine when I managed about 3 miles in a straight line one day with hands on my knees :)

I truly think the square top of the modified screen matches the "squareness" of my shoulders better than the original Vee shape.
    Wind noise (turbulence) around my helmet is reduced.
    Do screen makers produce Vee shapes simply for appearances?

Lower is definitely proving better for me. Wait till I test it on the autobahn at Mach 2!!

10. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

I'm envious of your trip ...but however good that tape is, it's not subtle :)

11. Boxerboy55

IMG_7614.JPG IMG_7657.JPG IMG_7645.JPG IMG_7754.JPG IMG_7775.JPG IMG_7770.JPG 7 days in and nothing fell off, including me. Now in Harz and met rain today for first time. Not a good omen for the twisties planned for tomorrow.

Lots of WW2 Museum type stuff through Netherlands, Belgium and Germany. Dambusters. Bastogne.

Plus plenty beer type stuff.

I find stability is running out with loaded panniers and top box when over 100 mph. And fuel gauge starts to plummet too.

I'm now convinced that the lower screen has improved fuel consumption by a few mpg at more modest (normal) speeds. Dash has shown up to 65 mpg for the first time.

To and Fro and Bravo like this.
  12. Boxerboy55

HEAVY rain definitely spoiled play today on my planned Harz ride. Started with wet roads after overnight rain, then it came bouncing down. I outran it to the west and north, but had to run through more. Sometimes of Biblical Proportions as they say.

Some wonderful roads, but not the same in such weather.

Tripped over a couple of steam trains. Which was nice.

Killed some time in a very good Air Museum in Wernigerode.

Was glad to get "home" and get out of gear. Disappointed that one old boot leaked and various damp patches in gloves and pockets and of course necker soaked.

1,400 miles in so the bike needs a wash.
    IMG_7806.JPG IMG_7813.JPG IMG_7816.JPG IMG_7820.JPG IMG_7821.JPG IMG_7823.JPG
    It Was Wet!

Bravo likes this.
  13. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

Weather's been great here :rolleyes:

14. Hugh

Hugh Member

Where did you take the photo of Guy Gibson's tombstone? Incredibly poignant, and to think he was only 26.
    By the way, I have just ridden back from Austria via the Black Forrest in glorious sunshine and didn't see any rain until Calais!

15. Boxerboy55

Guy Gibson and his Mosquito navigator are buried in the small town of Steenbergen in the Netherlands.

I also passsed a plaque for the crew of a Lancaster that crashed near Borken in Germany after clipping a cable or pylon on the way to the dams. Out in a country lane. I didn't know this crew had been re-buried at a huge war cemetery near Kleve. A place I stopped at last week. Could've looked them up.

Tonight's stop is at Mohnesee via a wee museum at Eder. Hope to walk on the Mohne dam. IMG_7752.JPG IMG_7754.JPG IMG_7625.JPG IMG_7626.JPG Hopefully Sorpe later in week.

Bravo likes this.
  16. Jeroen1969

Jeroen1969 Well-Known Member

Where did you get the side stand enlarger? Is that Wunderlich? Enjoy the rest of your trip!

17. Boxerboy55

Honestly can't remember. I probably bought it from Nippy Norman. (Other suppliers are available)

18. Boxerboy55

IMG_7853.JPG IMG_7855.JPG IMG_7889.JPG IMG_7905.JPG IMG_7846.JPG

Very disappointed today to travel via Edertal to visit the wee Dambuster museum - to find it closed. A ticket in window saying Open Tomorrow. Bogger!!

So headed along road to see the Eder Dam close up. Then surprise, surprise a mile along - my friggin Zumo jumps out of the cradle. WTF says I as it tumbles down the tank, into my lap and bounces off to land on the road. It takes about 100m to pull in as I'd just overtaken a car. Fearing the worst, I trudge back to look for Mr Zumo; knowing that I'm in deep shit if it's trashed. Luckily, the GPS god is shining on me today and I find the Zumo lying in the gutter with every corner bashed, but the screen in 1 piece. And it turned on OK. Only much later did I realise that the grey picture frame outer shell section was missing.

In over 2 years I've mounted the Zumo many times and didn't think you could get it wrong. It's either ON or OFF surely. But no, it travelled a couple of miles before jumping out of the cradle. I'm glad it didn't happen earlier in the day at 100mph on autobahn as I'd have been kissing it goodbye then.

Thankfully it carried on working and even survived another torrential shower. Luckily the day ended with several dry, sweeping miles to my night stop at Mohnesee. Where I was unexpectedly given a nicer than usual room with a view. Super.

Along the way I did stroll across the Number 2 Dam - Eder.

And spotted an odd approach to pillion riding at my lunch stop in a wee town.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  19. Boxerboy55

Home in 1 piece. Approx 2,100 miles over 12 days total.

And 1 pic for the number crunchers among us. 15K on way home from ferry today.
    IMG_8068.JPG IMG_8071.JPG

20. Darren

Darren Member

Good report.
    Ive booked ferry for July for 3 week trip to Germany. No plans but might spend a few days in Netherlands or Czech Replubic too.
    I did 3 weeks in Spain August just gone and absolutely loved it so hoping Germany has lots to offer