No customization options are available.

Gerbing G12 heated gloves

Discussion in 'Helmets, Leathers, Boots and Gloves' started by wessie, Feb 11, 2018.

1. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

https://gerbing.co.uk/g-12-heated-gloves.html

I gave the G12 their first test today - temperature down to 3C and snow showers in the Cotswolds. They are comfy and warm. They will be even warmer now I have enabled the 75% setting (they come with 25 & 50% enabled but have 2 higher settings with warnings of potential fatality.)

Combined with my heated Keis insoles & vest and the heated seat on my other bike (Triumph Explorer) I remained toasty.

Of course, the true test will be in rain as they claim to be waterproof. The snow flurries weren't heavy enough today to give a proper test.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    Leon.P., ray2 and Robert the Brews like this.
  2. Shady

Shady New Member

I’ve used a gerbing jacket, inner trousers and XR12 gloves for several years now. Possibly the best purchases I’ve ever made... short of the RS of course. I happily ride all year round now

Leon.P. likes this.
  3. Robert the Brews

Robert the Brews Member

Wessie, it seems you pretty much covered all parts of the body which are sensitive for being cold with electric heating devices. I like that! But I think there is one part of the body left needing attention when driving a motorbike at low to very low temperatures.................. the nose!! From experience I know how uncomfortable and unpleasant a cold nose can be driving my RS. Especially when the nose starts to drip!! :confused:

However I found a solution on the WWW; also an electric heating device (!!) which might prevent the nose from getting cold and dripping! :)

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/Free...108.1000016.1.3b464903umyQcj&isOrigTitle=true

Leon.P. likes this.
  4. Michael

Michael Well-Known Member

I'm wearing a t shirt with an Airflow jacket and even that's too much.

boxerboy and Leon.P. like this.
  5. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

You say that like it's a good thing. Being of a Celtic constitution, I am not equipped to cope with such irradiation.

Leon.P. likes this.
  6. Leon.P.

Leon.P. Well-Known Member

Our Summers can be tooo Hot. Get into the 40s and the bike stays in the garage.:(

7. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

When it gets hot (38 +) it is possible to keep semi cool by soaking your clothes. Save for the waist band and the crotch, you pretty well dry out in 20 minutes or maybe a bit more, but it does give a break from the heat.
    I have seen riders with singlets or less in very hot weather, and I think it is a mistake because the air wicks the moisture out of you, and you dehydrate much faster.
    In the long term, you are better off with the jacket and a closed helmet to slow down the dehydration.
    Our US friends would experience the same sort of heat in Death Valley on our worst days in Victoria. Other parts of Oz would be much worse (and I know that 40+ is really at the cool end of Death Valley heat).
    I wouldn't trade the occasional blistering day for the northern hemisphere counterpoint of freezing weather, snow, ice, sleet... At least here in Oz, if your wife locks you out of the house, you won't die.

duccrazydave likes this.
  8. swedkg

swedkg Active Member

I got myself the G-12 some time ago, super expensive but never regretted it. They managed to keep my hands dry and warm after 40+ minutes of really heavy rainfall, although when I got home they were soaked in water.
    How do you find the sizing? I always fill that L is too large for my hand, but it is what they suggested on their website.

9. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

Using the size chart for 9 inches or 22.5cm, this was right on the upper limit of L, so I ordered XL. They are a perfect fit for width across the knuckles but the thumbs are a bit long. I kept missing the indicator switch, but will soon adapt.

Price - I ordered direct from Gerbing using a discount code so got a better price but still twice my usual upper limit for gloves. I'm worth it though and will make my Easter trips more comfortable.

I tried using the excellent Tucano Urbano muffs. These work fine on the Explorer and you can ride the bike but you cannot see or use some of the switchgear which defeats the object of owning a bike with lots of gadgets. As some of my trip will be on motorway (the UK bit mainly) I want to have access to cruise control.

10. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

I have found using a base layer under something like the Rukka Airider or BMW Rallye clothing works well if you soak the base layer. The evaporation has a cooling effect and as you say, reduces dehydration through sweating.

I quite like the variation in seasons we have in the UK. You can ride the same road at different times of year and have different views. On the weekend I had a few flurries of snow which did not bother me as it was not heavy or cold enough to be a problem. Spring flowers such as snowdrops and crocuses are emerging. The deciduous trees will start to green up soon and then we will have the explosion of spring colour. Rapeseed & lavender is grown locally and the rolling hills look glorious in shades of green, yellow & blueish purple. In autumn, my favourite season, we get the trees changing colour.
    The only weather I detest when riding is a high crosswind as you cannot wear any clothing to ameliorate that. I find this more tiring than any other conditions as you have to concentrate so much if the winds are swirling around.

11. Shady

Shady New Member

Ameliorate. Surely word of the day

GordonH likes this.
  12. Alda

Alda Active Member

I think it's something you rub on piles.
    Alan

13. Aussie Import

Preparation H is the word you are looking for Alda.
    I think Wessie has a very poetic streak in him. Great imagery. Almost makes me want to see England.

14. 10puzzler

10puzzler Member

Better is a lot shorter but I do live up north.Raining heavily just now.Bike tucked away in garage.When will the sun appear ? :(:(

15. Aussie Import

Sorry
    Been hogging it down under. Will send it back straight away.

10puzzler likes this.
  16. Keasden

Keasden Member

No, but she might :)

10puzzler likes this.
  17. 10puzzler

10puzzler Member

That is true :D:D my valentine.

18. Keasden

Keasden Member

Its easy to tell who loves you most between your dog and your wife. Lock them both in the shed together for 2 days and see which one is most pleased to see you when you let them out :)

Richard230 likes this.
  19. Yoda

Yoda Active Member

My only gripe with the Gerbings (and many other gloves) is that they don't have the little windscreen wiper blade that BMW gloves have. I find it invaluable.

Richard230 likes this.
  20. Daboo

Daboo Active Member

Yoda, I recommend you try RainX. I never need a wiper on my gloves with it.

Some people will say you can't use RainX on your visor, that it will destroy the visor, that it isn't made for that kind of material, etc. I've been using it as a daily commuter in Seattle for 150,000 miles with no problems whatsoever. In fact, before I retired, I had a bottle of it at work just in case I needed to refresh the coating on my visor. All I can say, is it works.

Regarding heated gloves, I have two pairs of the T5 gloves. I find that one of the features of the gloves is that they breathe. That's also one of the disadvantages of them as the temperature gets low enough. They keep up with the cold...but my hands never get overly warm when it is cold.

If I had to do it again, I think I'd get glove liners, not gloves. I have plenty of waterproof winter gloves that would provide the barrier to the cold air coming through, and with a set of liners, I think my hands would be warmer.