No customization options are available.

Gear Shift Assist Pro - Replacement

Discussion in 'Parts & Accessories' started by SauRoN, Jun 22, 2017.

1. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

I thought I would just make a separate thread to highlight my experience.

My bike was built in factory with the GSAP and from the first moment I had gotten it I felt it wasn't quite the same as the demo RS I had ridden, but I wrote it off as my memory being cloudy.

I distinctly remember finding the RS working better with the GSAP than the XR when I demo'd the two bikes.

Never really had an issue with it not working, but it just wasn't as smooth as I remembered and I figured maybe it was because I was permanently balls to the wall on the test ride (which the GSAP does like after all) and the more docile day to day riding showed up it's true colours.

Not like it ever failed on me but it was just inconsistent with an "elastic" action at lower throttle openings. WOT was always fun and games and never a problem, but especially the 1st to 2nd shift would be very very odd at times no matter how hard on the gas you were.

Fast forward a year and I went to Sri Lanka for a month and upon my return the quickshifter was doing behaving very oddly. Sometimes going down into 1st it simply wouldn't blip the throttle and instead smash down into gear and other times going up into 2nd it would shift but then either not quite go into gear or pop out back to neutral when the torque arrived.

Reported it to BMW and my initial logic was that because the bike had stood so long maybe the drop in voltage had seen it lose it's settings. Many guys on here reported a "software reset" making a different to their own.

Mechanic requested to have the bike for three days stating it's a somewhat known problem with water ingress which would explain why the four weeks would mess it up as it has time for the corrosion/rust to settle.

Rocked up yesterday to fetch the bike and upon asking what was wrong or how they fixed it I was simply told the unit was replaced with a new one. Kudos to BMW compared to every other bike or car I owned before where getting something sorted under warranty always required a stern word with the boss they pretty much volunteered this one.

Now he didn't say there was a revision to the units but did claim the new ones are nicer/better so I was meaning to take a look and see if there were any part number changes with the 2017 bikes maybe.

Either way there is a major difference to the operation of the unit. Where previously I wouldn't even attempt it below 4000rpm it now shifts happily from 2500rpm when just cruising down the road.

1st to 2nd is still a bit different from the rest, but that is understandable as the action is much longer from the underlying gearbox design. It still requires a firm foot to shift, but then I can say that for the gearbox in general so it's to be expected really.

Reason for the thread?

Well to bring it to the attention of others that if you are disappointed with your GSAP unit and feel that other people saying it's awesome are delusional or just easy to please (much as I did) take it to your dealer and have a moan about it because chances are it is in fact actually buggered and not operating the way it should be.

Richard230, ray2, Willy and 1 other person like this.
  2. Willy

Willy Well-Known Member

Hi SauRon, pleased you got it sorted and happy with the improvement. I short shift 1 - 2 so have only just got going for the gsap change and it shifts smoothly, only need gentle throttle for this, once in second then give it some stick if you wish or just carry on with gentle throttle and smile as you click clutchlessly through the box! I think the GSAP should be renamed SGAP Stupid Grin Assist Pro:).

3. Jeroen1969

Jeroen1969 Well-Known Member

We'll, I had heaps of problems with the shift movement 3rd to 2nd gear ending up in Neutral... Read all about it, from that message scroll back to learn about whatever I tried before and scroll forward to the solution found today... (traded the Lady in for a brand new one). Hopefully, I can report this to be a successful solution next week Friday when I've picked her up..

4. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Kind of an anticlimax, though. We were engrossed with this fight of yours. :)

Seriously - good luck with the new bike. There comes a time when you have to cut your losses and run, and with what you have documented here, you have given this a lot of patience.

5. Jeroen1969

Thanks Grumpy Goat for emphasizing I had been patient long enough now. Sometimes I got this feeling I had not stretched it far enough. If I wouldn't have run in to the mysterious electrical problem, I most likely would have given it some more time. However, the Mrs has a say in the matter as well. And as the RS refused to fire up for the second time in 6 weeks after standing still for less than 5 days, she had had it with this bike. She does like the RS concept however, specifically the Quick Shifter pleased her very much, apart from the nasty surprises approaching a round-about: will it or will it not stick in 2nd gear?
    Went to the dealer yesterday, brought my Puig screen, my Alan Davies navigation Mount Brackets and my Helite Air Bag vest activation cable. The idea was to put these things on so that I could start my test ride next Friday from the dealer's place, rather than going back home, swap the screen and the brackets and mounting the cable. In the end, I was allowed to attach the cable, the screen and the Alan Davies brackets would be taken care of by the mechanic who had already started swapping parts:
    [​IMG]
    All my splash plastic and Touratech splash aluminium was swapped already. In the picture, you see him working on the cilinder protector (already done on the left hand side). My Lupin is right behind the mechanic. Darn, letting go of the blue hurts considerably. But the Mrs. likes the new colors better. As we agreed to use the RS together, I have to take the taste of the Mrs into account. As she has put it: "On the rides that we make together, I will consider the RS as MY bike, the RT is yours all the time. Just that you know..". Whereupon I got a little nervous about the deal we made: I can take out the RS as much as I like, just as long as we are not on a ride together... I think I might be wise to put that bit in writing... Last year I did 7.500 miles on the RS and 5.000 miles on the RT (the RS stood still from Christmas until March since we had salt on the road). I would like to be able to keep this mixture rate...

I like the belly pans. They were a secret desire of mine for the Lupin (I would have to have the pans spray painted in Lupin though). In my opinion, the shape of the Avant Front Mud Guard blends in perfectly with the belly pan:
    [​IMG]
    Having the Belly Pan spray painted red, would that be taking things too far?
    [​IMG]

6. Grumpy Goat

Funny but your wife sounds similar to mine when it comes to her new Golf. Very possessive ... :)

I too love the engine guards and was disappointed when I had to remove them to fit my crash bars. I think that spraying them red would be a mistake since it will blend into the red frame and then with all that red down there it would look odd ... like if you got that off another red bike somewhere and slapped it on this one and did not bother to change the colour. To my taste the stock grey engine guard on your new bike is much nice. But then, I like black and grey bikes. :)

7. Jeroen1969

Thanks for the advice GG, I'll leave the belly pans as they are.

A year ago I had a headache when it came down to making decisions:
    • new against demo bike (one of the arguments against demo bike was I had no clue as to how well the previous 50+ riders had treated her, so I knew going for the demo involved a little risk that I believed was neutralized by the 24 month warranty period).
    • BMW crash bars: yes/no
    • Alternatively: BMW cilinder head protectors yes/no
    • After Market crahs bars: yes/no
    • Lupin or Grey
    • After Market cilinder head protectors yes/no
    • Belly Pans yes/no and if yes: spray paint them yes/no
    • Top Box yes/no....
    Jeezz, that purchase has kept me out of my sleep for a week or 3.... Trading the Lupin in simplified matters a bit. Mrs definitely wants a top box. No, not after market with an extra key. BMW stuff. With cushion. Why? Well, she had it on her ST, so she wants it on her RS.
    Female logic: no, no crash bars on the RS. But darling, you had them on your ST. Yes, but this bike has belly pans. Doesn't combine with crash bars. So, no crash bars...

In fact, this trade in has not kept me out of my sleep at all. The only thing that recently is ruining my sleep: my curiosity for that new bike. Will it be as smooth as I recall the 2017 Lupin I got to ride for a very short while? Odds are very much in favor for: Yes, why the heck would it not be as smooth?? Still, I think I'll sleep much better next Friday when I push her in the garage after having done some 210 km's..

Martien likes this.
  8. Grumpy Goat

I do hope it loves up to your every expectation. :)

9. Jeroen1969

It did!!! Darn, I'm soooooo relieved! Despite the fact I had done pretty much the ride that I did today, just over a year ago with the demo/rental with no issues at all with the GASP, I still feared there was this very slim change that the whole 3->2 turns in to 3->N problem of mine was somehow operator related after all. But today: nill issues! Hurrahhh!

My findings on my brand new RS: the anti-hop function of the new gear box is really amazing. When I idle in 1 toward the red traffic light, the bike runs so smooth, absolutely brilliant.

Other than flawless GASP operation (my patience with the Old School Method lasted for about 15 miles...), the New Kid On The Block is pretty much just like the Lupin I left behind, just a tad more subtle in the GASP, somewhat more subtle when going in first gear from neutral and after today I get this feeling it might even be just a fraction more fuel efficient. So no huge differences. But I simply can't express how relieved I am that I can count on the 2nd gear to actually engage when I want it to. That to me makes a world of difference. It did hurt for a while to let go of the Lupin Blue, as blue is by far my favorite colour. Yet again, the 2017 is very attractive as well.
    [​IMG]
    And, there is still some blue in the garage:
    [​IMG]

Grumpy Goat likes this.