No customization options are available.

Gear shift assist - not smooth downgearing when trying to gain power

Discussion in 'General R1200RS Discussions' started by Sterobman, Sep 26, 2017.

1. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

Pretty sure the RS always had the Pro version as it was launched back in 2014 for the GS already.

And you always had to pay for it, even before it went Pro on the older bikes.

In fact looking at the parts listings the old non-Pro version isn't listed for the Boxer motors at all so I'm going to guess there isn't even a code for it and it isn't compatible.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    MrVvrroomm likes this.
  2. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

On the topic...

http://www.gelandestrasse.co.uk/2014/04/first-look-gear-shift-assist-pro-on-bmw.html
    So pretty much as experienced here. It will shift...but not very nicely.

ray2 likes this.
  3. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm Well-Known Member

4. Peter Burridge

Peter Burridge Well-Known Member Contributor

carsten and Bravo like this.
  5. Bravo

Bravo Plenty in the tank Contributor

That's how I found it too:(

Peter Burridge likes this.
  6. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

In the U.S. BMW advertised a very low price for a "stripped" RS, that came without ESA, GASP, Pro riding modes, keyed ignition and a few other things. But these bikes were never available on the showroom floor. In theory you could special order an RS and get a price that was about $4,500 USD lower than the bikes sent to NA, but that would take months to arrive and if anyone did that I haven't heard about it. Just about every 2015 RS that was available during the spring of 2015, came fully loaded with an MSRP of $18,350. I think the base price for the bike was something like $13,800, if I recall correctly.

ray2 likes this.
  7. Boxerboy55

Boxerboy55 Well-Known Member

B1F98367-A4B4-4085-8C92-BC408E931C09.jpeg E70674F8-82BC-4CAF-93A1-5561C7449CBA.jpeg CE8CD13A-D1FE-4167-8640-9481B4D1B4D7.jpeg My gear shift worked ok this morning.

Out of hairpin in 2nd. Pin the throttle to the stop. Then 2 up shifts with a firm kick on the gear lever.

Lift off. Hit brakes really hard and kick it down one. Repeat.

You can’t pussy-foot around with it. Kick it hard. All the above comments apply. Gun it hard changing up. Close it hard changing down. Otherwise use the clutch.

Once rolling, I only needed my right wrist and left foot and 3 gears. (it’s only a short track)

ps - triple check that GoPro is properly attached so that it lasts more than 1 lap before taking it’s leave! That was a long weary hunt to recover it from much further along from where I thought it had landed. The clip is comical as it rolled along the road to it’s final resting place.

Leon.P. and Phillo like this.
  8. Barbelson

Barbelson Well-Known Member

When I first got my RS, I found the Gear Shift Assist a bit disappointing. I couldn’t shift up or down without a clunk or lurch.
    Having read the comments from other members on this forum, some said it worked well while others had problems like me. I even wrote on the forum a couple of times moaning about it!
    I have now done 4600 miles on my RS, and I am compelled to give an undate on my position. My Gear Shift Assist now works perfectly!
    I don’t know why it is working well now. I could think that I have got used to it, and I now understand how it works, so my timing is better, and I am more able to execute a change when the revs and bike speed are correct. In truth I don’t think it is that. I feel as though it has got better as the mileage has increased. It has ‘bedded down’. It has in effect been ‘run-in’. I can now comfortably use the Gear Shift Assist to change up or down in any gears, except first, and it is as smooth as anything. And I don’t think I am doing anything different!
    I hope this note might be of use to others who may still have problems. My advice is stick with it, and hopefully all will come good, as happened in my case.

Martien, Leon.P. and ray2 like this.
  9. Leon.P.

Leon.P. Well-Known Member

I think that the owners need to be ( Bedded Down ) as much as their bikes. If you concentrate until it becomes second nature you will only slip up 1% of the time. It does take some practice and no, I did not get it to start with. Good luck. :):)

Jim Evans, Barbelson and boxerboy like this.