No customization options are available.

G'day from Australia - I need a 3rd bike!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by asparaguspee, Nov 7, 2017.

1. asparaguspee

asparaguspee New Member

Hi everyone, not an RS owner yet but I'm tossing up between that and a GS. I have two bikes already, can't afford a 3rd so I have to pick one to sell if it comes to that. I love both my bikes but really can't ride the S1000RR for long, so I've been mainly commuting on it and going for short rides in the canyons. The Ape is for longer days, I can ride that thing all day!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ray2 likes this.
  2. asparaguspee

asparaguspee New Member

3. gt2908

gt2908 Member

I think you have answered your own question with which one to sell.. I love the RR but could not ride it for long as I found out recently on a test ride. You will be able to ride all day without discomfort on the RS, its a dream bike, and you would not be disappointed. I cannot say about the GS as I have not ridden one yet.. I know i am biased bit it always makes me smile while riding my 2016 RS. Good luck with choosing what is right for you...

asparaguspee, PaulB_UK and Leon.P. like this.
  4. lupo

lupo Active Member

If you decide for the RS, I think you do not need the APE. Because the RS is what McGyver will choose for multipurpose missions. ;)

5. KJ Cornwall

KJ Cornwall Member

Lovely bikes, and you're lucky to be able to own both of them.
    In answer to your question, and perhaps rather obviously, the answer depends on what you are looking for from your second bike.
    Is the RS not a little similar to your current bikes(s) - in as much as it's a sports tourer and you already have the 'sports' element well and truly ticked. So if you're looking for something 'different' why not give the GS a try?
    I have to declare my hand here, I'm an RS to GS convert. For what I want, the GS does everything superbly well. It's a lot more comfortable for longer distances and two up and I find it very confidence inspiring...but it depends what you are looking for from your ride. If you haven't already, give them both a try and see which one tickles your fancy. They might have the same engine but they are very different machines - both brilliant at what they are designed to do. So the question is, what do you really want from your second ride? Once you've answered that question the answer to your other question should be easy.
    What a lovely problem to have!

asparaguspee likes this.
  6. asparaguspee

asparaguspee New Member

There's 2 ways of I've thinking about it:
    sell the more uncomfortable one, buy an RS and have 2 relatively comfortable bikes.
    or
    sell the Tuono, buy an RS for long rides and keep the S1000RR for short rides. I'm more attached to the S1000RR for some reason, even though the Aprilia engine has more character.

haha all he needs is a paperclip, some chewing gum, and the moons gravitation pull to get out of any sticky situation.

Food for thought, thanks. Yes the RS/GS will be the tourer. Every 2 years we ride from Sydney to Phillip Island for the MotoGP. This is a 2,000km round trip. Last year I rode the S1000RR and on the way home I promised myself I'd never do it again on that bike! (but I probably will) Fantastic machine but its not for long rides, or rather my body is not up for long rides on a supersport bike.

Next year I'll be doing more track days and I have more confidence pushing the S1000RR hard than I do the Tuono, it feels much more planted mid-corner where the Ape is a bit twitchy. For someone of my lowly skill level, the BMW is easier to ride.

7. oscarguitar

oscarguitar Well-Known Member

How about the XR. S1000 engine in a GS frame. (Sort of). Best (or worst) of both worlds.

8. asparaguspee

asparaguspee New Member

Love the XR but I need to slow down and I know it would egg me on to go faster.
    Not that the RS is a slow bike, just more...sensible

9. oscarguitar

oscarguitar Well-Known Member

Yeah, that’s what I thought too. Funny thing is the RS is soooo capable that it will do crazy, without you realising it.
    Take that 40 mph bend at 80, no drama no problem, nip past someone, oh shit 130 how did that happen? It’s actually a very bad bike, I almost wish I had a beige, sorry grey one, so it would be less visible but I decided that bikes are supposed to be fun and had a Lupin (deceased) and now a Fury (red frame).

Leon.P. likes this.
  10. littleade

littleade Member

Welcome in. It will depend on what you want to use the bike for and where your priorities lie. Best thing to do is take a decent test ride on both-at least a couple of hours each, then figure out which you prefer as they are quite different even though they both have the boxer engine. The GS can be a bit marmite (some either love it or hate it) and the telelever front suspension can take some getting used to and a quick spin, rather than a decent test ride can easily put riders off. Both are great bikes;)