No customization options are available.

Future Display for the 2019 models?

Discussion in 'R1200RS Tech and Performance Chat' started by Jeroen1969, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Jeroen1969

Jeroen1969 Well-Known Member

When I was at the dealer last Thursday for it's 600 miles / 1.000 km service, I spotted the brand new GS with it's clever display (that replaces the clocks). The dealer gave me a demo on how one can navigate through the numerous options. That went rather smooth. The display has a nice matte screen that will most likely not cause too much problems when sunlight hits it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The screen is an extra option, at a cost of € 680,-.
    Somehow I get a feeling future RS's will have a similar screen as option. Who know's, possibly even a retro-fit kit?
    Should the latter be the case, I for one will not be in the market for that since I guess retro fitting would mean an investment of close to €1.000/$1.000. Most of those functions that are in that screen are also available when you have the Navigator VI hooked up and the app installed on your smartphone. The only "downside" of that set up is that you need to have the Navigator installed. And as I learned from my insurance company, despite the lock mechanism, my Navigator VI is not insured when left in the cradle and the bike not parked inside... Meaning I don't take it to work..
    That being said, I personally believe the Board Computer Pro set up gives me ample info, just a tad more scrolling possibly required to get to the info that I need. Scrolling that most likely works better with that full colour screen.

2. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

Have to say that it is crazy that the Satnav is not incorporated into the TFT. The screen is big enough and the software should be able to prioritise functions via the wonder wheel

Last likes this.
  3. swedkg

swedkg Active Member

No, it is not crazy, it's just plain stupid that you need a secondary screen on top of the large screen just for navigation.

Andy Griffiths, Last and ray2 like this.
  4. Bravo

Bravo Plenty in the tank. Contributor

I like it,hope when I get my new RS in 2019 it's standard fitment.

5. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

It does have navigation built-in, but it's BMW's own system and requires your phone.

If you want the added hardcore navigation of satellite based GPS then you need to fit the Garmin unit.

Personally that's what I would like most and wanted all along and would happily forego the Garmin for the more modern Smartphone based navigation.

The Garmin is an archaic, old-fashioned and often useless thing unless you really desperately want satellite based GPS.

What I especially like is that it's dumbed down navigation so you don't need to follow it to a tee, turn by turn which is exactly what I want on a motorcycle.

I still want to be "free" and only have the thing stop me from getting woefully lost.

What I hate most about the Nav V that came with my bike is that I got so indoctrinated into using it and can't stop looking at it.

[​IMG]

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2017/july/bmw-tft-dash-explained/

6. Jeroen1969

Jeroen1969 Well-Known Member

The thing I appreciate in my Garmin Navigator VI is the fact that I can construct my routes on my laptop and then export these routes to the navigation unit. I'm not sure whether that basic navigation application of BMW is going to support that, my guess is: not. Hence the reason why people that buy their bike with this display opt to have a Garmin Cradle on top of TFT display. Other great features I particularly like about my Navigator VI are the Speed Limit Camera alert feature and the traffic information feature. Though the latter sometimes warns me for traffic jams that are not there, it very accurately predicts road blockage, accidents and stuck vehicles. But that info comes from an app on my iPhone, so it could be this type of info is also available on the TFT screen as that is linked to a smartphone to provide navigation, I take it it should not be that difficult to add traffic information on top of that.
    One little disappointing feature of my navigator VI is the weather radar. I get to see the whole bloody country and can only zoom in to a certain extend. I had hoped I could zoom in more and thus navigate around nasty rain showers. Perhaps in a next software update.

7. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

I'm going to guess the RT gets it in 2019 and the RS in 2020.
    This is only a guess.

8. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

I am looking forward to BMW inserting a chip into my brain when I purchase a new motorcycle so that I can receive important product announcement updates and speed limit warnings directly without having to look at and focus on a TFT or Garmin screen. :rolleyes:

shorn sheep and Bravo like this.
  9. shorn sheep

shorn sheep Active Member

I like the idea of the tft screen mainly as it has the crucial info blasted out in full colour so the brain gets what it needs to know without having to wait for eyeball dept to search the information and send up an orange tinted photo. I think it's outrageous that (a) the tft is offered as an option at extra cost on the GS and (b) it may or may not appear in 2019 0r 2020 on an RS. As I have ranted about before, Aprilia has the interactive tft on all the Tuono's etc and KTM has a hugely updated electronics package for 2017, these improvements are getting such good reviews from an appreciative motorcycling public that people are trading up their 2016 machines- because they want contemporary technology on their expensive bikes. Some of us might be dead by the time they stick a new screen on!

Richard230 and Bravo like this.
  10. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

Cheery thought to see 1st thing in the morning.

shorn sheep and Bravo like this.
  11. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

Surely your phone is using satellite GPS to know where it is? If it is using the cell network then it will only provide an approximation.

12. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

Yes but what I mean is your Garmin can operate without the phone completely (sans traffic information).

The bike's navigation won't be able to operate without the phone, and in most cases the phone apps don't work without internet connectivity for the map data unless specifically loaded offline.

Remains to be seen exactly how the BMW system will function in this case, but I'm willing to bet without cellular it won't be doing much.