No customization options are available.

FULL AKRAPOVIC NOW INSTALLED

Discussion in 'Exhaust System & Fuel Delivery' started by James Kennedy, Nov 18, 2017.

1. carsten

carsten New Member

Hi PeTe T
    Look at the picture
    The cartridge is to be placed into the Slipon

PeTe T and Peter Burridge like this.
  2. Peter Burridge

Peter Burridge Well-Known Member Contributor

I'm surprised it's so cheap given the precious metals involved.

Carsten was your ps at the wheel or transposed to the crank?

Peter

3. carsten

carsten New Member

Mmmh.... I’m really not sure and don’t want to tell u rubbish.
    To get to 140 ps at the wheel there should be about 10 more at the crank??
    For that I say it’s at the crank.
    But there should be guys that are more into dyno jet stuff....

Peter Burridge likes this.
  4. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

Yeah I never bothered to get it in writing as I wasn't (still haven't) looking to pipe the bike and will probably end up with the Leo Vince slipon and not much else anyway.

But yeah on my Buell with SpecialOps and K&N filter it was pretty bad and although the factory race ecu map somewhat sorted it out only after Xopti had a look and customed a map for me did it truly shine.

5. Peter Burridge

:D The 1125CR in my Avatar had a throttle like a switch. I did a few mods to improve things and fitted a fuel controller but that made it worse. I sent it back to Techlusion in the US for repair (I still have it somewhere in my loft). Fuel injection on bikes is hard to get right, partly due to the systems used and also due to the lack of weight to dampen out any surging. The Buell was a classic but when it was going boy did it go, size and weight of a middleweight as well :D

6. Fjaoos

Fjaoos Member

I contacted them and asked, if it is possible to use the headers with the catalysator but they said it is not.

7. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

Post 2007 their fuel system didn't go for a bag of shit really.

But I did love the CR I test rode...my wife not so much because I forgot she was there. :)

When they shut down one of the shops up north they auctioned a Ulysses, 1125R and 1125CR and I convinced myself not to go because I was sitting on deposit money for a house at the time and feared I would fail myself.

Turns out one bloke bought all three for next to nothing (like $1500 each) and I was so pissed off with myself because I could have bought all three and sold one to cover the other two and walked away cost free.

8. Peter Burridge

I'd have preferred the R. I'd love to have one and the cash to create a track bike. EBR used to make a lot of race parts. They are popular in Germany too.

9. carsten

carsten New Member

All I can say is that I used it.
    That’s been , as said ,on a 2016 R12R
    And the exhaust is the same.

10. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

The R geometry just didn't gel well with me for some reason, and maybe partly the look.

11. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

How did the exhaust smell, I wonder ...? I absolutely hate riding behind any old oil burner polluter BS vehicle; don't care about nostalgia in that case. For that reason I cannot ride behind Harleys. I do like a clean exhaust .... at least I know that excess hydrocarbons are not being released into my piece of the atmosphere.

But you are absolutely right, Peter, regarding the remapping of the ECU etc. I have always held that if you are going to start modifying an engine's breathing, you have 2 choices - (1) change the air filter and muffler, or (2) improve the inflow with cold-air intake / low resistance filter and also slap on a complete exhaust system from the manifold backwards.

In the case of (1) the miniscule increase in performance is usually justified by the nicer sound and possibly a little smoother throttle response due to the higher flow filter. Relatively expensive for so little benefit but if that is what you like then all is good.

In the case of (2) you are already spending the big bucks so going the extra mile to get the PC and the ECU tune not only makes sense but is protective against valve damage.

I will not do (1) to this bike as, for me, it is a total waste of money - stock exhaust is nice looking, and has a nice sound, and as for its weight - who cares. I am 40# overweight so the weight loss has to happen with me first.

I cannot (would not?) afford to do (2). I'd rather spend the money on a different bike that starts out being more performance oriented.

Good luck to James who seems to be going down the right path on his engine mods. Please, James, do share what you end up with when all is said and done.

Jim Evans likes this.
  12. Allan "redfox"

Allan "redfox" Active Member

Was waiting for this post...
    Happy to reed that your bike is running fine and you can enjoy it to the fullest without worrying.

@peter, hope you can sleep with such a result.

13. Peter Burridge

I'm more than happy. As I said, I suspect that the flapper valve might be significant in this. I'm glad it worked out. The fact that the sensor doesn't adapt is a given not my theory so whatever happens, happens for whatever reason. Other users have evidently needed a PC to adapt the fuelling and have apparently reaped the benefits.

Peter

14. MRZ

MRZ New Member

My dealer where I live refuses to install a full system for me saying that BMW Malaysia will void warranty on my bike. Only slip ons are permitted if I want the bike to stay covered.
    My dilemma is that the 2017 slip-ons don't have removable baffles so I'm concerned the changes will be unnoticeable.

15. MRZ

MRZ New Member

Any noticeable differences with the DB killer removed?
    Or to put it another way, is it worth getting the Akra Slip Ons if the DB Killers are not removable? Blame the EU4 regulations on my 2017 bike

16. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

With traffic the way it is in KL maybe a set of open pipes, or racing megaphone would be best.

MRZ likes this.
  17. MRZ

MRZ New Member

Yeah I agree . However I was told by my dealer that my warranty will be void if I go full system . I’m really annoyed with the BMW Motorrad nerds here . Only slip ons EU4 with non-removable baffles are allowed . Grrr

18. JohnnyRocket

JohnnyRocket Member

its odd how the RS has a lot less official BMW accessories than some other bikes..... I see the S1000RR has a full Akra system on the BMW options list... I wonder what that does to your warranty with BMW? Personally I think Akraprovik are being greedy on their pricing.. like Termignoni.. its just a metal pipe.. :eek:
    £900 for an end can is ridiculous :rolleyes:

Grumpy Goat likes this.
  19. Bunter

Bunter Active Member

If it is a full system sold with a new bike it will not affect your warranty and will have a catalytic converter in.