No customization options are available.

FULL AKRAPOVIC NOW INSTALLED

Discussion in 'Exhaust System & Fuel Delivery' started by James Kennedy, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Peter Burridge

Peter Burridge Well-Known Member Contributor

Are the headers CE stamped? I know the Can is.

2. Scorch

Scorch Well-Known Member

Good question!

3. Fjaoos

Fjaoos Member

Maybe it does meet the noise requirements but all I could find in terms of information was, that it does not meet the emission requirements.

Peter Burridge likes this.
  4. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

The Akrapovic can is street legal in nanny-state California. But not the full system. Just the $$$ end can. CA is concerned about noise, but mostly the pollution impacts of any non-stock exhaust system.

5. Peter Burridge

With the catalyser removed I'd suspect not.

Peter

6. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

I was told by both the dealer I bought the bike and where I service it now that if I were to install the BMW supplied Akrapovic slip-on and/or the full headers my warranty would remain fully intact as it's an officially supported product.

7. Peter Burridge

I'm smiling as I write this. I hear this all the time, 'I was told by the dealer' etc. I have many years of such statements and I did used to work in the 'trade'. BS abounds. I do wonder if you subsequently suffer exhaust valve failure and claim under warranty whether that same dealer would repeat their words 'officially' to BMW in Germany?

I've said this many times but the bottom line for me personally is that there is no way I would run my bike fully opened up with stock fuelling for the reasons I've outlined. That's me. I've run an older 1200 GS with a full system and the performance benefit from fuelling modification were night and day.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    Grumpy Goat, SauRoN and Richard230 like this.
  8. James Kennedy

James Kennedy Active Member

Boy are you ever a phlethora Of information. Don’t know if you might even be a mechanic but you sure have a more thorough of this bikes system than I do and its much a
    Preciated. Could you maybe send me a link on this subject?

9. Peter Burridge

James

Being a bit of a geek I've done a lot of research on ECU's, fuel injection, closed loop operation, lambda sensors (as fitted to motorcycles - cars tend to be wide band). I've read argument and counter argument and found some 'gospel'. This is over several years. I'll hunt for some articles but I don't have anything to hand and google searches can bring up more mis information than information.

My good friend Jim had 124.5 bhp at the wheel after his dynojet tune. They didn't fit a Power Commander, just the fuel regulator that they supply.

This is quite a nice article and BMW related too. Bear in mind when he talks about adaptation it is with the narrow band sensor in place and only in the closed loop mode. When I had my VFR1200 work done the Lambda sensor was removed and a wiring workaround was fitted. Closed loop is only applicable in limited situations. cruising within the set rev limits basically otherwise you are open loop and running on the tables in the ECU.

http://www.bikeboy.org/open_closed_loop_efi.html

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  10. James Kennedy

James Kennedy Active Member

Peter. This is a subject I have little knowledge of. What is important is the tech that dynoed the bike was all smiles and said it was a good running machine. AND, all of the numbers looked great. No need for any fueling adjustments. Don’t ask about HP. THEY threw too many numbers at me. Things like 135 and a what you need to know of 113. I didn’t see anything like that on the report. The 103 BHP on the print out did. All I care about is she runs great and I don’t need a controller.
    Can not prove it but the way it makes power now I really suspect there was some kind of issue and that exhaust valve was not fully opening. It’s the only explanation that makes any sense.
    Oh. That Akra now sound like it’s supposed to

Grumpy Goat and Peter Burridge like this.
  11. Peter Burridge

Great news James. And no Power Commander. At least you now know it’s good.

I’m thinking that maybe the exhaust valve has a greater role on reducing flow to prevent lean conditions than I realised it did. My mates system on his GS was sans valve as was the system I fitted to my old GS.

Peter

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  12. carsten

carsten New Member

no, it is not ( in Germany )
    if you look at the description , you`ll find a note .
    if you install the full System, you`ll have no cat.
    and there`s no EC no. on it ( as it`s been asked )
    But... there`s a cat cartridge available, with which you`ll get it street legal.
    i`v got the full System on my R12R, also got the mapping changed.
    somewhere around 140/140 ( hp/tork)
    but too loud to ride without being shot ;)
    so i put the cartridge in, which in my opinion didn`t cause too much noticeable loss in power.
    the headers are definitely the next thing on my list.
    as you`re from Germany.....you might call Andreas from Rehcing ( just Google )
    he`ll tell you all about it

Grumpy Goat and Peter Burridge like this.
  13. Peter Burridge

Hiya Carsten

I'm a little confused. You say you have the full system and then you say that the headers are the next thing on your list.

If you have the free flowing headers and then put a catalyser back in wouldn't it be cheaper just to keep the stock headers? Unless you are getting rid of the flap valve.

140bhp and 140Nm? It seems a little high to me.

Peter

14. carsten

carsten New Member

Heyho Peter,
    I had the full system on my former R12R.
    The Akra headers aren’t equally built, compared to the stock ones.
    My Tuner, as said wrote another mapping .
    I’m not sure if I kept a picture of the dyno run.
    It’s been 138 ps / 139 nm , that’s fact,
    you may believe me ;)
    And I decided to put the cat back in because it’s been a bit too loud and especially on weekends there’s been too many police guys around ;)

15. Peter Burridge

Ahh... Thank you for the clarification.

Peter

carsten likes this.
  16. Fjaoos

Fjaoos Member

I've found akrapovics's statements, that the header is not street legal but I wasn't able to find any catalysator for a R1200RS.

17. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

I love the fact that the standard exhaust is quiet. It does not draw attention. I am concerned that maybe there are times when making noise is a positive safety issue, and (like everyone else) I do like the sound. So, I guess my only choice at the moment is to get out the clothes pegs and the playing cards and letting them play with the spokes.... just like the old days... very old days.

Grumpy Goat likes this.
  18. PeTe T

PeTe T Active Member

Hi Carsten. Can you describe the "cat" and where it fits in please? I'm wondering if you're referring to the accoustic baffle that slips into the exhaust outlet. I haven't heard of a cat cartridge before. Thanks.

19. carsten

carsten New Member

Attached Files:

20. carsten

carsten New Member

That’s what I meant