No customization options are available.

Frozen Oil Filter during change?? Try this....

Discussion in 'Servicing & Maintenance' started by Brian Kelley, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

First time I have seen this design. I have a metal strap wrench with a handle that is effective except on the RS due to my crash bars.

dcysurfer likes this.
  2. Hotboot

Hotboot Active Member

One can, in a bind, fashon one from duct tape and a long 3/8 socket. I like them as they don't bite with teeth or slip, more crank = more torque and if it deforms the old filter no loss. Every new bike has an overly tight oil filter and drain plug, legal department tells production to add 1/2 turn.

3. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

You're right. The last two bikes I took to the shop for the first service, but all the other bikes I did the first service at home and several of those were very difficult to remove the filter or drain plug.

4. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

I bet they weren't as bad as when I had to remove the oil drain plug for the first time on my 1971 Triumph Bonneville. In order to remove that plug, I eventually had to use a 250 lb-ft air impact wrench! :eek: Someone at the factory really didn't like that bike as I counted 15 assembly defects, including the main jets just sitting in the carburetor float bowls. o_O Obviously, dealer preparation left a little something to be desired in those days too - possibly because we didn't pay a delivery and set-up charge back then. :rolleyes:

5. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

Just remembered, when you change the gearbox oil on the S you need a special tool as access to the drain plug as it is blocked by the rear frame. Then you also need a plate / drain to allow the oil to bypass the frame (and spill everywhere) and direct it into a container.
    The S gave me lots of laughs in the workshop!!!

6. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

I know those kinds of laughs ... with me its the kind that just precedes some (how do the politicians over here say this BS ...) "salty language" ... :D

Aussie Import likes this.