No customization options are available.

From R1200S to R1200RS - S vs RS

Discussion in 'R1200RS Versus The Competition' started by boxerlust, Feb 27, 2016.

1. boxerlust

boxerlust Member

I would like to hear from some guys who went from the R1200S to the R1200RS.I loved my 2 R1100S bikes I rode over a span of 10 years.I loved the looks and the handling.With Ohlins and a shorter paraleverarm the handling was perfect for fast backroad riding.All I wanted was a more powerful and above 5000rpm smoother powerplant,a slightly bigger tank and a gear indicator for my R1100S and still would be in love.Unfortunately this bike never came.What we got was the R1200S that made more power,was lighter,had a gear indicator and it still looked good but the rest was not so good.The brakes were not linked anymore and the ABS opened up as soon it detected rear wheel lift during hard braking maneuvers.Very stupid & dangerous.The transmission always jumped out 0f 4th into 3rd gear during fast shifts.The bags and tank were too small.You could not take a passenger and a practical center stand was completely missing.Especially bad when you had to change the reardrive oil whose drainplug was not in the 6 but 3 o'clock position.You could thing this bike was designed by italians and not germans...;-)))
    Now comes the R1200RS that could really be the modern R1200S and real successor of the R1100S a lot of people have been waiting for for over 10 years now...On paper it ticks all the boxes except for the missing TL,bar graph tach,60 lbs heavier and "only" 125 hp.
    Who can write about his impressions R1200S vs R1200RS ?
    I know the 1200RS is more practical than the 1200S but how do they compare in handling and engine performance and any regrets trading the S on a RS ?

2. woolf

woolf Active Member

I just replaced my 1999 R1100S with the 2016 R1200RS ( the s was destroyed in a garage fire )
    the RS is as nice to ride as the S was , it has the power of my 2010 R1200HP2 SPORT , it handeles handles as well as the HP2 , plus it is an all around GREAT daily driver , also a GREAT bike to travel on .needless to say I like it and would recommend it to all:) I still have the HP2 SPORT and it gets out on rides on special days .

3. boxerlust

boxerlust Member

Woolf I like what you have to say.I'm surprised though that you say the R1200RS has the power of the HP2-S as the HP is 90 lbs lighter and in a comparison in a European magazine made 133 hp on the same dyno where the RS made only 122 hp at the crank.
    The HP was 3 seconds faster 0-125mph but the RS had more torque and faster roll-on.
    The HP2-S is the only bike I regret not buying when new.I think that bike is one of the few bikes that are so special and unique that it is a keeper for life...Back in 2009 I though very nice bike but $25000 is a lot for a bike that is only useable on the track,not faster than a Japanese 600 and in a crash very expen$$$ive to repair...But oh so beautiful and truly special ! My jealousy is with you...;-)))
    Enjoy them both !
    I bought a R1200S instead which was 9 grand less and semi-practical with the factory bags.But it was really neither a sportbike nor a tourer.Not fast enough for the track and not as practical as the R1100S.I would have been a great bike if BMW would have upgraded it with linked brakes,the camhead and options for centerstand and real bags.But like the R1100S before the upgrades never came...
    We will see if they have learned from their mistakes in the past if the rumor with the R1200S-LC comes true.
    Or we can always get the RS...;-)))

4. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

Boxerlust - I am the person you are looking for. I sold my yellow 2006 1200S after two test rides on the RS - having previously thought the 1200S was a keeper. I had a non ABS Ohlins shod bike. I also previously had 2 x R1100S. The 1200S was the faster, lighter bike that was a natural evolution of the 1100s, but as you say had some flaws. These were for me the riding position and vibes - but I forgave it those until I test rode the RS.

The 1200RS is a great step up. It is faster, lighter, smoother, better tank range, carries luggage better, and has better riding position. On my first test ride I was in tow ends about all the electronics but then on my second ride - 'I got it'. The shift assist suddenly made sense and the riding modes and electronic suspension likewise.
    So, my recommendation is that if you liked the 1100 and 1200S bikes this will be a natural progression that will make you one happy boxer rider :)

woolf likes this.
  5. boxerlust

boxerlust Member

Thanks for your input Andy!Like you said the R1200RS would be the logic evolution after 2 R1100S,R1200S and 3 R1200R boxers.I like what you said the RS being faster than the R1200S despite making practically the same power but being 60 lbs heavier than the S.I will definitely give it a testride as soon as the weather gets warmer...If I miss the TL too much I'm thinking GS with 17 inch wheels to hold me over until the "R1300XR" sees the light of day...;-)))
    Like I said if the RS had TL,analog tach and 20-30hp more on top besides all that torque I would have already bought one!
    Andy what did you think of the S1000XR if you had tried one?I ask a boxer guy was really surprised to like it so much!I actually loved it but I'm just too stubborn to buy a bike without a boxer,shaftdrive (and TL)...;-)))
    Thanks again and enjoy your new RS!

6. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

I found the S1000XR too much. Its damn quick and intense although good riding position. I also owned a K100RS, K1100RS and K1200S but I just prefer the boxers.

7. boxerlust

boxerlust Member

Thanks Andy.I loved the S1000XR but I'm too old too change my religion...I know the truth...Boxer,shaftdrive and TL...;-)))
    I mean I would just feel vulnerable with no cylinders stickimg out left and right protecting my legs and would hate to have to fiddle with the chain...but riding that thing was faultless!Who knows if they come out with a black one I might buy one regardless in a moment of weakness...;-)))

8. woolf

woolf Active Member

I have been told that the hands of the
    bean counters R1200S-LC at this time !!! YES the HP2 is more much faster in the canyons of MALIBU . I'm not in to drag racing so the 1/4 mile times on ether bike is of little interest to me . but on the other hand the suspension on the RS works so well ( with the bike being NEW 4000 miles ) that riding in the canyons in dynamic mode it is equal to the SPORT , plus you can put it in ROAD mode ! I must say I like both . when the R1200S-LC comes to market I think I my have to look at closely :rolleyes:

9. Andreas

Andreas New Member

All3.jpg
    Well, ... I HAVE ALL 3!
    Lowest fuel consumption: R12S
    Fastest:
    - Country road: R12RS, Why: / 80-140 km/h / higher handlebars, dtc, riding modes, ESA
    - Straight curves, highway, racetrack: R12S Why: hanging off, better acceleration >180 km/h, max speed
    R12S max. speed: 255 km/h, R12RS max speed: 232 km/h (R12S accelerates much better >180 km/h)
    Best sound: R12RS
    Can ride 900km a day: R11S (best balance weight hands / butt) :)
    Morning-wow-effect: R12S
    "Pain body part" after 3h riding: R12RS (seat), R12S (hands), R11S (none)
    Most beautiful: R11S
    Takes much oil: R11S
    Real boxer feeling: R11S
    Best sitting position: R11S (R12S too sportive, R12RS tourist seat)
    Best gearbox: R12S (no blipper, but better mechanic)
    Motorcycle transporter: R12S (easy), R11S (ok), R12RS (better not)
    Luggage: R12RS
    2 persons on it: R12RS

Daniel, PeTe T and Scorch like this.
  10. woolf

woolf Active Member

Very cool calection . I miss my '99 R1100S , but life goes on .

11. boxerlust

boxerlust Member

Hallo Andreas,
    Nice stable!I went from R1100S to R1200S to the R1200R with Ohlins,S1000R handlebar and Wunderlich S-fairing.It's a good compromise between R1100S and R1200S.Motor has more power and torque than the R1200S only on top bewtween 7000 and 8500 rpm the S makes 10 hp more than the camhead R1200R.But the R1200R is still practical and all day comfortable.
    Do you miss the TL on the R1200RS?I think the watercooled RS should have made at least 10 if not 20 hp more than the old oilcooled R1200S and HP2-S...otherwise why watercooling?Where do you live in Germany?I feel sorry for you guys that Merkel floods Germany with millions of migrants who eventually will bankrupt Germany and eventually will make germans a minority in their own country...:-(((

12. woolf

woolf Active Member

13. boxerlust

boxerlust Member

I loved the R1100S,too.All it needed was a more powerful and smoother powerplant to make it close to perfect.Ohlins shocks make a big improvement on the R1100S.But then ohlins has also a fork cartridge and rear shock for non-ESA R1200R(S) bikes...

14. woolf

woolf Active Member

Guys I was in love with the '99 R1100S , it had Ohlins on it and able to install BMW hard bags it I when out on the road with it , which did a couple of 5000 mile plus trips to MOA and RA rallies . After the fire it's a parts bike in the junk yard . I am how getting more and more to like the RS :rolleyes: :cool:

15. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Hehehehe ... aw leave him alone. He is hooked on specs on paper, and that is his choice. :D

It always amuses me who people on this forum and elsewhere will split hairs over a few hp. Want more horsepower? I say quit screwing around ekeing out one or two horsepower here or there. Just go an buy the right machine for the task and dont't get anything less than a 25% gain or else its back to the same old, same old.

I don't believe that people buy the RS for the horsepower, unless like me you say "aw f*ck it" and swap the 47 hp Honda 500 for a 125 hp RS in one shot. Job done.

Brimstone Mahone, Daniel and woolf like this.
  16. woolf

woolf Active Member

17. Andreas

Andreas New Member

- "I loved the R1100S,too.All it needed was a more powerful and smoother powerplant...": 100% agreement. None of the bikes compare to the R11S.
    - "...R1200S only on top bewtween 7000 and 8500 rpm": Do you know that there is a software update available from BMW? With the update the bike is real different. Much better in the middle area, but fuel consumption + 0,5l.
    - R1200S is also not bad. It weight is near the S1000R (but with boxer engine :)). The telelever is also a good thing. When you drive fast and break - the front of the bike is stable, perfect balance. Doing the same with the new R1200RS, the front of the bike goes down. Riding in a fast curve with this behavior could make the difference (contact with the ground)
    - "Where do you live in Germany?":
    http://www.welterbe-mittelrheintal.de/index.php?id=405
    Near by is the famous "Nürburgring" (remember Niki Lauda crash 1976 )
    Motorbikes crash also:
    (Everyone is allowed to drive / you could sit there and watch others driving)

18. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

s
    Well Henry, I guess that there are different strokes and all that. I actually think the other way. I think the RS is better looking. Some months ago I posted my feelings towards the S. It and the previous TRX-850 Yamaha were my favourites, so much so, I could not separate them. The S killed the TRX on power and torque, pillion comfort, ride, drive line lash and luggage. The TRX was smaller, lighter, more nimble, narrower, sounded better and looked like a "proper" motorcycle. You could "see though" it. You could also get to the battery and stuff...
    Always had a niggling regret about (my rego) TRX-849, having gone on a trade.
    No such feelings for the S compared to the RS. It just so fully eclipses it for me.

19. GuzziKarl

GuzziKarl Member

The RS transcends the older S , at this time ...hold your breath... it the best BMWer in our minds.... tomorrow yeah ...the next one ..the R1200S WC or , what.... but we have the RS now !!!

20. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

I have not seen a RS gearbox, but it really does look like one should look, with the existence of the primary drive, a longer crank extension which looks like it would support the clutch. The only thing that "throws" me, is what appears to be an oil filler casting near the flywheel.
    So, what's the story with the photo? I know for a fact that it isn't one of your "S".