No customization options are available.

Fork seals....... maybe.

Discussion in 'R1200RS Tech and Performance Chat' started by Alan H, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Alan H

Alan H New Member

Hello All, some advice please.

During the recent ride to the Aussie Motogp, I noticed that on the forks tubes (slider part) were these marks,(see pic), although the forks tubes did not feel really "oily" above the marks, the marks look just like dirt collecting due to weeping fork seal marks. I wiped them after each day and they reappear. (I rode from Darwin to Melb 8000klm round trip, about 1400klms each day.)

Any body else have these marks and can comment?? Still under warranty anyway, but was just wondering if I should take it to the dealer or it is "normal " for USD forks.

Attached Files:

2. Leon.P.

Leon.P. Well-Known Member

Hi Alan. Mine looked similar to yours and they were done under warranty. The same smears are appearing again but not as bad. I do plan to get them checked out before I run out of warranty.:(

3. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

Looks normal to me and mine are sometimes like that. I can also see where the tube mounts in to the lower casting and you have no oil there, looks completely dry. I guess it is just grease from fitting, leaking oil would soon show lower down.

mousejockey40 likes this.
  4. Alan H

Alan H New Member

Thanks Guys, might take it to the dealer and at least register my concerns, see if they will do anything about it or at least log it so it is kept an eye on. First time I have owned a bike with USD forks, so maybe "normal"...

ray2 likes this.
  5. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Alan,

This has been discussed before - a search might be informative. Mine used to do that on the left side especially, so I brought it in to the dealership. The right side had some light smearing but nothing like this. The BMW master technician there diagnosed it and thought that this was excessive leaking and ended up changing the fork seals (and I suppose the fork oil). Ever since then there has been no smearing from either side. I figured he must have cleaned the right side in addition to servicing the left. He said if it happens again after the fork seal change we'd change the fork(s).

ray2 likes this.
  6. Scrabo

Scrabo New Member

Hi mine look the same and a friend has a S1000RX which looks similar but not just as bad. Which leads me to think it's normal
    Worth keeping an eye on

7. oscarguitar

oscarguitar Well-Known Member

Alan, ask the dealer to clean behind the fork seal dust cap. If there is grease in there from the build it can weep out when it gets warm.

GrahamleM and ray2 like this.
  8. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

I have a couple of bikes with USD forks and they all develop a ring-around-the-collar after riding for a couple of hundred miles. That ring is just a little dirt and oil lubricating mist from the fork seals, like you get on your tub after taking a bath, you dirty boy. ;) You can get the same ring on female-slider forks, if they get a little oily or damp and then dust (or bugs) in the air will stick to the fork tubes creating that ring as the fork seals push it all into one spot on the tubes. I wouldn't be too concerned about it unless you actually see more visible oil on the tube.

folagana and ray2 like this.
  9. mousejockey40

mousejockey40 Active Member

I personally have always wiped my forks clean after every ride and using a kitchen towel wiped them with WD40.
    An old biker back when I was a young lad back in 1986 told me to do that and I have done it ever since.
    I've never had an issue with fork seals on any bike I've ever owned.
    Maybe I have been lucky but I like to think that taking that old fellas advice has helped a little over the years. :)

Hein, Richard230 and Dave like this.
  10. GrahamleM

GrahamleM Member

That trick seems to work for you, but i always thought WD40 softened and broke down some types of rubber.

11. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

I think WD40 might be OK, but I am pretty sure that a silicone lube would be a better choice to lubricate and condition fork seals.

mousejockey40 and folagana like this.
  12. saizou

saizou Member

I'm having mine checked at the next service. Of the 6 bikes I've owned I have never seen oil sit on the fork and collect dirt until the RS.

13. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

But that is the thing. After I got mine serviced, there is no ring anymore, and that is after thousands of miles. So much so that I wondered if the forks were dry! I wipe nothing and there is just the slightest trace of an oil film on both forks. Weird.

mousejockey40 likes this.
  14. dinez

dinez Member

Mine having those traces of ring all the time. I always think it's normal or acceptable.
    But this is the first bike of all my previous bike with this issue.

15. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

What a ride!! Darwin - Melbourne return!!!
    If you avoided fines and strife, you are a champion!
    The RS sounds like it handled the job with no issues apart from the question on the fork seals. It is that sort of "point and go" motorcycle.

Leon.P. likes this.
  16. Jim Evans

Jim Evans Well-Known Member

You will know when they start leaking. Oil runs down the fork and pools around the fork base.

17. Alan H

Alan H New Member

Thanks for all the interest guys.

I took it to the dealer and they wiped it and checked for any trace of fork oil of concern, but none they say, at least it is now "on their books" as I have another 12 months of warranty yet and a few more trips to Phillip Island and the Barry Sheene festival of speed in Sydney to go, that will sort it out one way for the other.
    They felt it might be build grease or some thing like that.

I like the idea of continual wipe, good to get into that routine as well.

Yea, have not had any fines turn up in the mail .....yet......., see how it goes over the next few weeks and hope this has not "mozzed" me (Aussie Import) ...... hee hee..