No customization options are available.

Fork seals issues/leaks?

Discussion in 'Servicing & Maintenance' started by Soch, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Soch

Soch Member

Pictures of my front forks after ~1k miles. Am I looking at a slight leak already?

Attached Files:

2. Bazza Beemer

Bazza Beemer Well-Known Member

Looks like a lot of dust on the outside. I wipe mine clean all the time and so far no oil residue. The dust will eat the seals eventually after all it is abrasive. Yes I would take that one to the dealer for a claim.

ray2 and Soch like this.
  3. Soch

Soch Member

I cleaned both forks this afternoon. I'll be riding to/from work all next week and if it repeats I'll take it in for warranty work.

4. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

Search this forum. You may find there is no leak, just packing grease.

boxter likes this.
  5. Soch

Soch Member

Thanks @Aussie Import!

6. oscarguitar

oscarguitar Well-Known Member

Yes, if you ease the caps down, (my dealer did it with a flat blade screwdriver!) there might be a stack of packing grease in there to clean out. When it gets warm it sticks to the forks and picks up dust. Looks just like that. If the seals do go, and it has happened to a few on here, it gets very messy! With checking with your dealer if you are close.

Soch likes this.
  7. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

The packing grease idea may be indeed just what it is.

I had the same look on my forks for a while (like maybe 10k miles) until one day I got fed up and mentioned it to my BMW technician. There were these same rings on both forks but it seemed slightly worse on the left fork. He replaced the fork seal on the left side and must have cleaned up the right side too because both sides came out perfectly clean after he was done (as I would have expected). I could not understand why he'd only change one seal and was expecting the leak to recur on that right side. Well after many thousands of miles there are no rings on the forks - either side. Riding conditions are the same, amount of washing etc. Who knew.

Soch likes this.
  8. boxter

boxter Well-Known Member

Both of mine were done on my last rs at 6 k, a couple of weeks after there was the sign again of a leak, but after reading up on other sites including BMW's I came to the conclusion it was the grease between the main seals and the sweeper, I guess it's to reduce friction and to lube seals.

Ged

9. Jim Evans

Jim Evans Well-Known Member

You will know when it's a real leak. Oil runs down the fork leg and pools around the aluminum casting - or worse.

Richard230 and boxter like this.