No customization options are available.

First weekend in the Twisties

Discussion in 'BMW R1200RS Reviews' started by Jeroen1969, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Jeroen1969

Jeroen1969 Well-Known Member

Okay, I've seen those YouTube reviews of the R1200RS that made me drool my shirt wet to the bones. And I've read reviews written by people who took this bike out for a spin in the twisties. And yes, I've had this bike for 10 months/6.000 miles. So, I guess, all that put together and it ought not be a surprise that this bike is a freaking feast once you take it out in the curvy landscapes with winding roads. But my own back yard is as flat as a pancake, sure we do have some winding roads down here, but these tend to be flooded by bikers, man and machine powered. Plus we have about 3 hairpin turns in the whole freaking country. Guess how busy those are when it is daytime and not raining....any given day in the week...
    So I joined a BMW gang on a weekend in Germany where the country side does go up and down on occasion. And a hairpin or two are to be found less than half an hour riding apart. I enjoyed every second of it. The proof is in the pudding: check the piccies below....[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thinking about how your bike ideally would handle in a curvy road scenery and you figured out how the R1200RS handles. I can't possible figure out how the heck that could ever be improved in the future. This is it. My ideal bike. OK, perhaps I'll have the saddle redone it some point, but it dit carry me rather comfortably for 1.100 km's in just 2 and a half days....

People that read this and expected an objective story, I'm sorry to disappoint ya all. Cause I'm rather biased I'm afraid.... The bike before my last bike was a R1150RS and I took that bike out on curvy roads and loved her for it.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

But my current R1200RS does it all even better! Compare that face of mine you just saw sitting on that R1150RS in the hills with that down below and draw your own conclusion...
    [​IMG]

Mind you: it was dry in Scotland (R1150RS) and raining in Germany (R1200RS), so with the weather-correction-factor, on the latter picture you see a man in ecstasy!
    Is the R1200RS fit to do mountain roads? Yes. Very much so. Does it give the rider fun in the curvy twisties? Yes it does. A delicious ride giving pleasure that nears that of an orgasm.... (Sorry, I'm Dutch, it's in our genes just to say things right as they are....)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
    Scorch, Richard230, JasonQ and 5 others like this.
  2. To and Fro

To and Fro Active Member

3. To and Fro

To and Fro Active Member

Awesome! Great pics!

I'd be willing to bet there are at least a few RS riders out there that share your frustration of their local roads.

Jim Evans likes this.
  4. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

..., and yet it will. Can't wait. Maybe a shorter wheel base and even yet lower COG.
    And, I note that in spite of the rain, you have that nice, new tire technology worn to the edge. Ride on.

5. Hugh

Hugh Member

Are you able to share your route and where you stayed in Germany?

6. Bravo

Bravo Plenty in the tank. Contributor

Cor! Mister that looks like a fast bike.

7. Jeroen1969

I'll post that info tomorrow.

8. Jeroen1969

First, the GPX file (<-Click!). It contains several routes. Day 1 went from Hotel De Brakke Berg (<-Click!) to our location in the Eifel, Germany, Haus Diefenbach (<-Click!). Most of the lot that participated in this weekend trip went to Hotel De Brakke Berg on Thursday. I myself and a member of the group that lives nearby, had other obligations on Thursday evening, but we could hook up with breakfast, paid "a special group discount" price of €10,- and it was money well spent. Hotel De Brakke Berg is nicely located.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Right next to an old castle. The Friday stretch went over the nicest hilly ride there is in the Netherlands over the highest hill we have. On weekdays this is doable. Forget all about this during weekends. And on some summer days when race bicycles competition days are held. Last year we did this stretch on the way back on Sunday. Never again. It's a miracle no one of our group was hit by a car or alternatively, hit a cyclist or a pedestrian that popped up the road from pretty much every where and from around nasty corners where view was obscured by bushes.
    Lunch was at a "Must Have Lunch Here" Location:
    The Biker Ranch Eifel (<-Click!)
    [​IMG]
    One of the nicest routes in that area is the L128. This fact is widely spread and lead to too much motorcycle traffic in the weekends. So, these days it is closed in the weekends for motorcyclists:
    [​IMG]
    But we did this on Friday, as we did the year before. Since us Dutchies don't do this Up-And-Down-Hill-Whilst-Banking-The-Bike-With-The-Steps-Scraping-The-Tarmac, one of us fell.... Luckily enough more damage to the ego was done than to the bodies (tough the riders spouse had never joined her husband on motor cycle trips and, after this unfortunate event, will never join him again...). But I guess most of the readers here are more practiced in that field than we are. I must admit I fell the Cornering ABS do its thing, as seen on the picture above, sometimes there is some brown stuff on the roads that comes out of the trees left and right of the road. This picture was taken last year when it was dry. Now, I can tell you from experience, that this brown stuff turns in to a nasty slippery smudge when it is mixed with rain water. Let me put it this way, I've earned back my €295,- investment in this ABS Pro feature....
    [​IMG]
    To wrap it up: above you see a summery of the routes. For the Saturday, the group leader had designed 3 options. I chose the red one, that contained mostly winding roads and some challenging hairpins. And some "Off Road" stretches. Well handled by my RS, but more respect for my group mate who did this stretch on his Star Ship Enterprise:
    [​IMG]
    Once back home he traded in this R1200RT for a R1200GSA....
    More piccies and stories are found in the Dutch Motor Forum, I'm afraid it is all written in our Mother Tongue, but Google Translate is your friend. (Though for some silly reason, it does turn up with some funny grammar variations when you use it, so I tend to do the writing in English by myself rather than typing this in Dutch and taking it through the Google Translator. But since we are such a tiny country, most of us are pretty proficient in English...
    Heimbach Weekend 2016 (<-Click!)
    Heimbach Weekend 2017 (<-Click!)

ray2 likes this.
  9. Jeroen1969

Yep, the step pins are somewhat scraped off.. I do things with the RS I don't dare to do with my R1200RT. The longer I have these two bikes, the more the RT becomes my "car" (since I never used the car, I gave it to my son, so my wife and myself now have 1 car, as my wife works split shifts, effectively this means 100% of my commuting is done on the bike. With rain in the forecast, I take the RT, the rest of the commuting is done with the RS. Groceries are done mostly with the RT as well because I can take more in the panniers and the 52 liter top box. The daughter is transported on the RT A. because she claims it is more comfortable for her as a passenger and B. because sometimes this transport includes a huge case that I strap to the bike, for these occasions, I remove the top box. .
    The fun rides are 100% completed on my fun bike. This does not mean riding the RT is no fun. It's fun alright, but from a different type.

ray2 likes this.
  10. Jeroen1969

Ow, for those of you who like puzzles: figure this one out:
    [​IMG]
    For those of you who did not know: several stretches of highway have no legal speed limit in Germany! So that 216 km/h is no speed violation. But what I get with Full Throttle, packed and such.

Dan smith and ray2 like this.
  11. Dan smith

Dan smith Active Member

Nice combo RT ,RS maybe someday for me to. Nice Pic s Thanks for Sharing :)

12. ray2

I figure a lot of fun.
    Average speed of 71 km/h - I take that as a sign you have fun and spend a lot of time leaned over. (My average speed after 20,000 Km - with almost no commuting and about 15% interstate highway - only 79 km/h.)

To keep it in perspective - and many of these guys will match me going down the switchbacks.
    [​IMG]

Jim Evans likes this.
  13. Jeroen1969

Spot on observation! Indeed quite some time was spent in a angle. Your 79 km/hr average means to me it is likely you wear your tyres over the full surface. I was pleased to see an average fuel consumption to match that average speed, mainly because the trip did contain quite some climbing.

Those overall speeds of the Tour De France guys, they get up those hills on manpower. Given the fact they have to struggle longer against the gravity of mother earth than they can enjoy the aid of the gravity, that average overall speed of 40 km/hr is the more impressive. No wonder all these guys are that skinny..

Dan smith and Jim Evans like this.
  14. Dan smith

Dan smith Active Member

Man power ? Not to sure ? Latest gossip, Lance and may a few others had a small electric motor on the crank and a battery also inside the frame?

Below from 60 minutes

Stefano Varjas sells complete motorized bikes to wealthy recreational riders for about $20,000. But we went to Budapest to find out who else might have bought a silent, hidden motor for a racing bike.

Bill Whitaker: Do you know, are professionals using bikes like these on a professional tour?

Stefano Varjas: This one, no. This on --

Bill Whitaker: But bikes with motors?

Stefano Varjas: Yes. I know-- I know this.

Bill Whitaker: They are?

Stefano Varjas: They use, yes.

Suspicions of hidden motors are fueled by videos of riders crashing in races. This bike seems to move by itself without the rider.

And the first time anyone suspected they were looking at a motor was in 2010 when a famed Swiss racer sped ahead of the pack at unnatural speeds.

These riders all denied they were using motors and no one had ever been caught until last year. Race officials suspended this Belgian rider after they found a motor inside her spare bike.

15. ray2

The point was, one of the ex-racer motorcyclists for the tour recently noted his inability to keep up with these guys on one of the recent technical descents. And, it turns out, they aren't so slow going up hill either.

Yeah, I know, always fun to like to think these guys don't work hard. Actually, the physiological testing of guys like Lance is compatible with these speeds. Everyone forgets, this is a guy with great genetics who set a new standard for work ethic. Lance also demonstrated improvement in efficiency (power output/oxygen uptake capacity - Ed Coyle et al.) over the course of 10 y of training - there's no drug that will do that. For what it's worth, recent placebo controlled trial showed no benefit of erythropoietin over placebo to performance in elite cyclists - which explains how clean guys could beat dirty guys. Also, the in-frame battery powered motors have only recently been small enough and powerful enough to be useful.

16. Jeroen1969

Spend some time in the wheel of an Africa Twin on a rainy day during that weekend, filmed by that guy with a Sony Action cam. Starts about after a minute in the clip.

Grip was not perfect, so I was a bit careful in some tight turns:

ray2 likes this.